Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made a burger in work in honour of Diego Maradona. Caramelised onion chutney, smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheddar and finished in a chimichurri sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Made a burger in work in honour of Diego Maradona. Caramelised onion chutney, smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheddar and finished in a chimichurri sauce.
    Did you have ''Coke'' with it ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

"roast" chicken done in the slow cooker for dinner today, with roasted baby potatoes, tenderstem Broccoli, stuffing balls and gravy

No pictures as it was eaten too fast!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

"roast" chicken done in the slow cooker for dinner today, with roasted baby potatoes, tenderstem Broccoli, stuffing balls and gravy

No pictures as it was eaten too fast!

I'm doing Slow Cooker Roast Chicken myself this evening.. I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mGQwUWAr_o.jpg

Chicken Chow Mein, with basmati rice instead of noodles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had Indian takeaway last night for the husband's birthday. Lamb chettinadu, boiled rice, garlic naan, onion bhaji, vegetable pakora, onion and mint chutneys... Drool. And a few beers. It was divine.

Tonight husband cooked and we had chicken chasseur, sauteed potatoes and steamed broccoli. It was also really good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cnocbui wrote: »

Chicken Chow Mein, with basmati rice instead of noodles.
    That looks amazing cnocbuí, did you use a recipe?

We had katsu curry with rice and chips tonight, it was okay. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if there was colour on the plate. It was a beige and white dinner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That looks amazing cnocbuí, did you use a recipe?

We had katsu curry with rice and chips tonight, it was okay. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if there was colour on the plate. It was a beige and white dinner :rolleyes:

Thanks. Sort of. I consulted some recipies online and tried to follow them but have sort of back slid to something that works.

I have found the Lee Kum dark soy sauce and Hoi Sin sauce sold in Tesco to be really good and thats what went into this.

it would be something like this:

Two medium sized cloves of garlic, crushed. About 3 times the volume of the garlic of finely chopped ginger. 5 tablespoons of Hoi Sin sauce, a teaspoon of rice wine or cider vinegar, a tablespoon of soy sauce, ground pepper - I use about 1/3 of Szechuan peppercorns I got on ebay to 3/4 black pepper corns in my grinder - grind enough to sort of cover the other sauce bits in a small mixing dish. 1.5 tsp of maple syrup and a tablespoon of sherry. I add 1/4-1/3 of the ginger to the sauce.

Then it's just chop some vegetables and chicken breasts. I used a bag of Pak Choy, half a red capsicum, 5 spring onions and a raddish for looks.

Stir fried the vegetables in duck fat in a wok then into the serving dish in the oven, stir fried the chicken in more duck fat, puled it up the sides and added a touch more duck fat in the now clear bottom of the wok and the gas on low and put the rest of the ginger in for 30 sec and then added the garlic. then mixed those around for a minute or so amd turned the gas off because even on the lowest it's to much for the garlic and then waited two minutes for the residual heat to work on the garlic and ginger, then gas back on low and tipped the sauce in to the bottom and mixed it all for a couple o minutes, puled the chicken down into the sauce, mixed, then got the serving dish out of the oven and poured the chicken ad sauce on top of the vegies and then added a few raw garnish bits i kept aside on top and voila.

One trick is I keep the leaves of the Pak Choy aside and then add them to the vegetables about 40 seconds before I finish cooking them. Keeps them much nicer and more appealing than if they go in at the start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks for that cnocbuí, I'm going to make it later this week :)

Thank God for ready meals, Home @8.50, Either I have no food or it's frozen.
    So Turkey Dinner.... Damm no gravy, Viola ! Half water oxtail cup a soup (Good and Thick ! ) Result...Sitting down before the news started...:D
    I was too ashamed to show the 2 slices of buttered Batch and the Iceberger (That I bought by accident) :rolleyes:

Turkey-Dinner.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Easy tomato sauce with meatballs

4 x tins chopped tomatoes
    2 x cartons passata
    1 x tube tomato puree
    Onions & garlic according to preference
    Worcester sauce
    2 teaspoons red pesto
    2 x beef oxo cubes
    Dried basil
    A few good grinds of salt and pepper
    Tabasco sauce or hot sauce according to preference

Fried the onions and garlic then added the rest and cooked for a few hours in the slow cooker, then blitz with a hand blender (forgot this bit when first typing this post).

Then I put a bag of Ikea meatballs in the oven - spread out on a wire tray to allow fat to drain but hardly any did - then added to the sauce when ready and served with spaghetti and plenty of grated cheese.

This gives enough for two good dinners for a family of four with a little left over for a lunch or two.

(No pic because it's all gone)

Cottage pie - it was delicious :)

20201202-192701.jpg

Air fryer dinner.

Chicken goujons, onions rings and potato lattices.

Well, the two year old liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Recliner wrote: »
    Needed food fast so penne pasta, pesto, cherry toms and loads of parmesan.
    I ate 2 bowls and I'm now in pain.

Forgot the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Recliner wrote: »
    Forgot the pic.

Looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hake with chorizo, garlic, saffron, red chilis, green frenk chillies, lemon and (overcooked!) haricot beans.

IMG-20201201-201403.jpg

Similar to the first recipe here

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jul/28/20-best-summer-fish-recipes-part-1-ofm-sea-bass-mackerel

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

storker wrote: »
    Looks gorgeous.

It was.
    I made the pesto with walnuts instead of pine nuts, pine nuts are very expensive I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Homemade bread (still working on the oven spring!) and soup from the hotel soup thread, perfect for a day like today

TbidHcL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Cottage pie.

Nachos. Warm tortilla chips topped with cheese sauce, spicy kidney beans, tomato salsa, scallions, sour cream and jalapenos.

• Advertisement

We had meatballs in tomato sauce with tagliatelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had meatballs in tomato sauce with tagliatelle.

Great minds think alike :D
    We had tagliatelle with a sauce made with ajvar and cream cheese, with mushroom and peppers sauce

We had Moroccan style lamb meatballs with lemon couscous. Bit of mint and a few toasted almonds on top.

IMG-20201204-174330883.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We had Moroccan style lamb meatballs with lemon couscous. Bit of mint and a few toasted almonds on top.

Ooooh looks good... do you have a recipe?

woodchuck wrote: »
    Ooooh looks good... do you have a recipe?

I just made it up. Definitely not authentic!

Meatballs

450g lamb mince
    1 onion finely minced
    1 clove garlic
    Zest of one lemon
    1 tsp ground cumin
    0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 egg, beaten
    1 slice white bread, grated
    Freshly ground salt and pepper

Combine ingredients. Form into small balls. Fry in olive oil in a deep frying pan or casserole dish until browned all over.

Sauce

1 can Italian cherry tomatoes in tomato juice (Lidl)
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    Splash of water from kettle
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon garlic granules
    1 tablespoon honey
    Salt and pepper

In on top of the meatballs pour the sauce ingredients. Stir gently. Simmer until rich and unctuous. Taste to check seasoning is right and add more salt or honey as may be needed.

Couscous

Make couscous according to packet instructions. Add in some salt, the juice of half a lemon and a large knob of butter. Fluff up with a fork before serving.

Garnish

Lightly toast some flaked almonds in a dry frying pan. Watch them as they seem to be doing nothing and then bam! They're burnt.

Chop some fresh mint.

To serve sprinkle the almonds and mint over the meatballs and couscous and squeeze a bit of fresh lemon over.

You could also serve with harissa stirred through yoghurt but I didn't have any.

Great, thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Made coconut rice and spicy chicken today, cooked in the oven on high for 30mins, picture doesn't do it justice, the flavour was divine, loads of garlic ginger chilli onion spices so on, first time making it and will do again fair easy to cook.

Yesterday, After buying a Slow Cooker, I Decided to try it out and go for a safe 1st try with a Beef Stew. tick, tock ,tick, tock for 6 bloody hours, I was crying with the hunger, I made a complete balls of it and at 12.30 this morning I ended up having a ham and cheese toastie instead and binned the stew. another day maybe ?
    Tonight, I stuck to the knitting, I was starved....
    Broiled pepper chicken, Asparagus stems, (I don't like the tips), Boiled baby potatos, brocelli, mushy peas, and some Bisto gravy. It made up for last nights disaster...:)

Brocceli-Chicken.jpg

Made coconut rice and spicy chicken today, cooked in the oven on high for 30mins, picture doesn't do it justice, the flavour was divine, loads of garlic ginger chilli onion spices so on, first time making it and will do again fair easy to cook.

Recipe? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had fried rice with kimchi-style red cabbage.

Fried-Rice-2.jpg

I thought that all the prepped veg looked so lovely and colourful that I took a photo of it too!

Fried-Rice-1.jpg

Advertisement