Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Kimchi stir fried vegetables with some rice. It had a wonderful level of heat and spice, without overpowering other flavours.

I'll have to start my second batch of kimchi after christmas, the first one is getting used up very fast.

rPvIHLh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nigella was on the menu again tonight. Spaghetti with Spinach, Chilli & Anchovy.

So simple, so good. :)

381027-F3-68-EC-4-F98-A51-F-18-D5-F2-B64436.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spaghetti_with_chard_02141

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had a butterflied leg of lamb frozen with garlic and rosemary that we never got around to barbecuing, so I roasted it today and we had it with mash and roasted root veg.

20201214-191525.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Chilli with air fryer naked spuds.

IMG-20201214-182826.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Slow Oven Cook Beef Casserole. 3 hours but so worth it. A first attempt so now a big deep casserole dish next time. You could trot a mouse over the sauce, It was so thick. God bless cornflower ! ! I had not enough left over ! ! :(

Beef-Casserole.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Celebratory finishing up work for the year meal. Goose breast, rosti and cabbage.

G3n3vq3.jpg

Last week or so: Chicken noodle soup.

NvsiNRd.jpg

Fried egg and chip butty:

Yuot3MH.jpg

Chicken Marylands with air fryer potatoes, homemade slaw and blue cheese garlic butter.

BG2ejqK.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Stuffed pork fillet, baby potatoes boiled, crushed and roasted, veg, apple sauce and gravy.

IMG-20201215-180745411.jpg

Lamb, potatoes and spinach curry - I know it's a bit "stewy" looking in the photo, but this was as close to an authentic Indian takeaway curry as you can get, it was so so tasty!

Pilau rice with it.

IMG-20201216-165020.jpg

IMG-20201216-164953.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh recipe please!.

• Advertisement

I had a migraine most of yesterday, which always leaves me completely drained of energy by evening. I wanted something warm, comforting, easy to make, and I was craving vegetables.

So I cut up 2 sweet potatoes into chips, covered them with a bit of oil and Ras-al-Hanout, and popped them into the air fryer. I had some corn on the cob in the fridge, and just heated that in some hot water, with some broccoli florets. I had some Quorn Southern Fried Bites in the freezer (I usually avoid meat substitutes, but they do come in so handy on days like this), so I baked those.

It was all done in 15 minutes. All together on a plate, with butter over the corn and broccoli and some garlic mayo over the sweet potato chips, it was just exactly what I needed.

Apologies for the lack of photos, my brain was too addled to think about taking any.

Oh recipe please!.

Quite simple actually, no complicated spices/herbs or anything. Mostly everyday ingredients. I'll do a checklist first then how to cook.

Diced lamb, 5-600g
    Couple of decent sized onions roughly choppee
    4 X cloves garlic roughly chopped
    Thumb sized piece of peeled garlic roughly chopped
    One chilli, roughly chopped (take out seeds if you don't want heat, I leave them in)
    75g of mild curry paste (I used pataks Balti)
    450ml of beef stock
    3 or 4 peeled and cubed spuds peeled and diced
    Can of tomatoes
    Salt and pepper
    Castor sugar
    3/4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
    100g of spinach leaves.

Step 1, fry the lamb pieces and set aside (do it in batches if you like as that will stop the meat stewing)

Step 2 - fry the onion for a few minutes to soften it.

Step 3 - add the curry paste, garlic, ginger and chilli to the onion fry for 2/3 minutes until it's softened.

Step 4 - put the onion/paste/ginger garlic and chilli mixture in the food processor/blender and blend to a paste.

Step 5 - add paste to lamb and cook for 5 mins or so.

Step 6 - add the stock, the can of tomatoes, spuds, salt/pepper to the lamb and cover with a lid and cook on a very low heat for an hour and a half (if like me your using an instant pot, just cook on pressure for zero minutes (if doing by casserole dish, check midway through and stir so that it's not catching at the bottom)

Step 7 - add quartered tomatoes and spinach leaves. Stir through and cook for a further five minutes until the spinach is wilted.

Step 8 - check the seasoning, if you need more, add it, it'll need more than you think because of the quartered tomatoes.

Eat it!

Easy enough to do with no complicated ingredients.

I like making it on a Sunday evening for a Monday dinner while there's a can of Guinness or two in the background chilling, open a can, pour and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Fell by the wayside tonight and arrived home (Wobbley) via the corner shop.
    Viola ! Mogerlys Steak and Kidney Pie, Mushy Pea's, Oven chips, Buttered, (Never spread muck) Brown bread and a cold beer. I purred whilst eating it !
    MOGERLY.jpg

Pizzas! One of the benefits of working from home - I can get a dough started on my lunch break, knock it back during afternoon tea break, and have it ready for the oven at dinner time :D

ZFnOQLn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Just after making Tom Yam soup ( bought the paste in Chinese shop) and added chicken noodles and veg, well holy God it was delicious, bursting with flavour and firey hot( which we like)... a cold beer wouldn't go astray now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Barbecued pork chops with twice baked potatoes and beans. They were the most tender pork chops we've ever had - the butcher said the cut is called fair end.

20201219-184524.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Slow roast venison shank with onions garlic and bayleaves. Roast carrots, beetroot, parsnips and fennel. Baked potatoes.

I never cooked a venison shank before - it was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Homemade chick pea curry, rice cabbage and too many chips.
    Might even have a bevvy to wash it down and reflect on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

No pic but it was a Use whats in the fridge dinner as I have not gone shopping.

Baked potato with some ham and the remainder of a chorizo sausage...and one and a half slices of smoked cheese.. loads of butter.
    I do amaze myself sometimes I really do

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

When you can't get to the German market...

IMG-20201221-200428522.jpg

... although the eagle-eyed among you will note that the beer mustard is in fact Polish and not German.

Brats with fried onions and brioche buns. Hard to beat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Those spuds look unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yes please!

raclle wrote: »
    Those spuds look unreal

Thanks! I just scooped them out and mashed them with butter, a little milk and a big dollop of Hellmans Mayonnaise. I added some grated cheddar and chopped scallions, stirred it all together, refilled them and put them back into the oven for 20 minutes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

When you can't get to the German market...

... although the eagle-eyed among you will note that the beer mustard is in fact Polish and not German.

Spotted that mustard, my O.H. loves it, pity the jars aren't a bit bigger, they'd be great for having a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Not the prettiest image but

Spaghetti
    Chorizo
    Bacon
    Garlic
    Pesto
    Parmesan cheese

Side of sweet potato

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

wally1990 wrote: »
    Not the prettiest image but

Spaghetti
    Chorizo
    Bacon
    Garlic
    Pesto
    Parmesan cheese

Side of sweet potato

Looks good enough to me when you zoom in! Tasty looking!!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gztqDfCI_o.jpg

Duck breast, sauté'd potatoes, roast sweet potato, Asparagus, and foi gras. The red stuff is a black currant jam, balsamic vinegar, thyme and Angostura bitters thing I invented. Goes really well with pork or duck.

Having a massive steak tomorrow, so decided to have a salad tonight. Beetroot, orange, fennel, goats cheese, honey walnuts. I'll probably be hungry later but f*ck it, was tasty.

mdYhb8i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

LFoeGqRi_o.jpg

zDd7Tk2q_o.jpg

76SeLA84_o.jpg

Thai green chicken curry with the vital accompaniment. Normally I would have it with shredded carrot, but didn't have any to hand.

Advertisement