Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had beef stroganoff tonight, with macaroni. It was good but a new instant pot recipe, and needs a little tweaking.

We had leftovers, fried up in butter until crispy, and drizzled with gravy. Mash, roasties, sprouts with pancetta, almonds and pomegranate, pork and apple stuffing, glazed carrots, turkey and ham.

It was better than the dinner yesterday.

IMG-20201226-195031138.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have decided to accept the fact that I'll probably put on a half stone or so over the festive season with a few beers and good food, so with that in mind tried to keep tonight's dinner as healthy as I could.

Some of my boned and rolled turkey (the brown meat is from the legs which I had included in the meat, and it's delicious) with a salad and baked spud, it was tasty as.

IMG-20201226-202843.jpg

Does that cancel out the beers I'm about to consume though?:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had bubble & squeak/leftovers last night because we'd had the main event on Christmas Eve.

20201225-161956.jpg

Tonight I had a baguette filled with turkey, red Leicester cheese with balsamic onions, mayonnaise and tomato relish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

I couldn't eat the huge portion of Christmas dinner yesterday so had the leftovers today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Roasted some fresh veg and potatoes to go with the leftover turkey and red cabbage.

1JTPrGz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jack747

Had ham and turkey pie today in a creamy mushroom sauce with leaks. It was so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Looks incredible. Did you cook the pie yourself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had home made pizzas last night, I couldn't face another potato :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had home made pizzas last night, I couldn't face another potato :pac:

Too lazy to do anything last night so we ordered Apache Pizza. God it was awful. Rubbery, tasteless, way overpriced crap! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pea and ham soup last night.
    Lovely smokey flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Pea and ham soup last night.
    Lovely smokey flavour.

Would you have a recipe to share?
    I'd like to do something other than the usual pie/pasta with the leftover ham. And something I could freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Recliner wrote: »
    Would you have a recipe to share?
    I'd like to do something other than the usual pie/pasta with the leftover ham. And something I could freeze.

Not as such.
    It all revolves around the cooking liquid from the ham.

I just soften an onion some celery and a clove of garlic in some butter.
    Add a pack of frozen peas and some ham stock, bring to the boil and blend.
    Bit of ham is nice blended in, too.

I'm afraid it's not really a way of using up lots of ha., though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's it now, there's officially no leftover turkey in this house.

Curried turkey with egg fried rice.

Tomorrow will be a pea and ham soup.

IMG-20201228-173701.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Turkey Fajitas today

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Turkey Fajitas today

That's a good idea!

We had Christmas dinner 2 nights in a row, followed by turkey curry 2 nights in a row. We've also had a lot of turkey sandwiches in between and still have loads leftover... don't think we can get away with using it for much longer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

woodchuck wrote: »
    That's a good idea!

We had Christmas dinner 2 nights in a row, followed by turkey curry 2 nights in a row. We've also had a lot of turkey sandwiches in between and still have loads leftover... don't think we can get away with using it for much longer though.
    Crown next year perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I had chicken birria tacos, not as nice as I imagined them to be but will try them with beef instead of chicken next time

9sQLQVh.jpg

Ish66 wrote: »
    Crown next year perhaps ?

We went for a half turkey breast boned and rolled, which was the smallest we could get 🙈 It's supposed to feed about 8-10 people, so thought it would be perfect for 2 of us over a few days... seems like it would feed 20 people though! If anything I was afraid we wouldn't have enough for ample turkey sandwiches (himself likes his sandwiches). We even gave some away to family who decided not to do a turkey this year. How do we still have so much left?!

On St Stephen's Day I took 3 ziplock bags, and cut 500g of turkey breast into chunks and froze it for a curry. I then prepared 600g of shredded ham and turkey from the carcass and froze that for a pie. Then I shredded what was left (again about 500g!) into the last bag with lots of the jellied stock piled in on top. I'll use that one to make a Mexican style soup - a bowl of meat and steaming broth, topped at the table with lots of fresh scallions, tomatoes, jalapenos, avocado, cheese and sour cream, and eaten with tortilla chips.

As well as this we had a leftovers meal, and a few epic sandwiches. And we fed 7 on the day itself! It was a 7kg bird. :o

The frozen portions mean we can space out the leftovers and not get sick of it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

What in the name of jaysus size turkeys are ye buying! Mum went with an organic turkey crown this year, so might be smaller than most but still, with only three for dinner, we'd the whole half breast gone.
    I was gifted 6 turkey backs from the butcher so have about a pint of superbly concentrated turkey stock now. Last night was turkey, coconut, curried soup:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I had 3 slices of turkey on Xmas day and thats about enough for me. Bizarre that we still eat so much of this really average food type in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm a 'why eat Turkey, when there's Duck?', type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Chicken & chorizo jambalaya

537533.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just finished eating a veg and chickpea rendang with alo saag and rice. Homemade but for the rendang paste which I took home from Malaysia.

Was delicious.

We had ribeye steaks tonight with cheese & scallion mash and sautéed onions & peppers.

20201229-190006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My once yearly Christmas meat and cheeseboard for dinner. Silly, unhealthy, but pretty tasty all the same. Killahora apple ice wine to accompany. If anyone cares, left to right, some French Camembert from online (Sheridan's), Irish chilli cheddar from Lidl, Sheridan's smoked gubeen (my favourite), Tipperary blue (super valu I think), random brie from Lidl. Posh as ****, not a hope. Random smoked fish and meats. Crackers obviously from Sheridan's again.

Before:
    0ye5pTj.jpg
    After:
    4C3iPUl.jpg

I'm a little ashamed about how much cheese was left. Still, I'll eat it tomorrow all the same.
    No, I am not sponsored by Sheridan's. But, their cheese is excellent, their delivery time and service is also very good, so far their crackers are average-good.

I ate the leftover camembert (on the left) in a toasted sandwich later in the night.

(Yes, I've realised I've just doxxed myself. I'll just have to trust you to not be dicks)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

My once yearly Christmas meat and cheeseboard for dinner. Silly, unhealthy, but pretty tasty all the same. Killahora apple ice wine to accompany. If anyone cares, left to right, some French Camembert from online (Sheridan's), Irish chilli cheddar from Lidl, Sheridan's smoked gubeen (my favourite), Tipperary blue (super valu I think), random brie from Lidl. Posh as ****, not a hope. Random smoked fish and meats. Crackers obviously from Sheridan's again.

I'm a little ashamed about how much cheese was left. Still, I'll eat it tomorrow all the same.
    No, I am not sponsored by Sheridan's. But, their cheese is excellent, their delivery time and service is also very good, so far their crackers are average-good.

I ate the leftover camembert (on the left) in a toasted sandwich later in the night.

(Yes, I've realised I've just doxxed myself. I'll just have to trust you to not be dicks)

I,ll send you some nicer crackers !;)

Chicken, chorizo and butterbeans, in a tomato based sauce, served with pasta and fresh parsley.

(sorry, tried posting a picture, but it's too large)

• Advertisement

Turkey and ham pie. Too savage to get a photo before we tore into it! Leeks, mushrooms, creamy sauce, shortcrust base and puff top. Delicious. I'm not sick of turkey yet!

IMG-20201230-183553476.jpg

IMG-20201230-183821880.jpg

Advertisement