Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

My once yearly Christmas meat and cheeseboard for dinner. Silly, unhealthy, but pretty tasty all the same. Killahora apple ice wine to accompany. If anyone cares, left to right, some French Camembert from online (Sheridan's), Irish chilli cheddar from Lidl, Sheridan's smoked gubeen (my favourite), Tipperary blue (super valu I think), random brie from Lidl. Posh as ****, not a hope. Random smoked fish and meats. Crackers obviously from Sheridan's again.

I'm a little ashamed about how much cheese was left. Still, I'll eat it tomorrow all the same.
    No, I am not sponsored by Sheridan's. But, their cheese is excellent, their delivery time and service is also very good, so far their crackers are average-good.

I ate the leftover camembert (on the left) in a toasted sandwich later in the night.

(Yes, I've realised I've just doxxed myself. I'll just have to trust you to not be dicks)

This is a fantastic looking cheese board. Smoked Gubeen is up there with one of my favourites too. Cashel Blue probably my favourite blue cheese too - assume this is the same as the Tipperary blue. If you havent tried it before I would recommend getting some epoisse cheese, by far my favourite cheese, expensive but it is so creamy and buttery.

Where did you get the pastrami?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Turkey and ham pie. Too savage to get a photo before we tore into it! Leeks, mushrooms, creamy sauce, shortcrust base and puff top. Delicious. I'm not sick of turkey yet!
    Recipe please :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

raclle wrote: »
    Recipe please :)

No recipe as such. I made it the following way.

1 sheet shortcrust pastry
    1 sheet puff pastry
    600g shredded turkey and ham
    1 large leek, sliced
    150g mushrooms, sliced
    2 chicken jelly stock pots
    2 tbsp plain flour
    Butter
    Whole milk
    Water
    Large splash of cream
    Salt and pepper
    1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 180 fan, 200 normal.

In one pan, melt a large knob of butter and fry the mushrooms until golden. Add the leeks and sweat until soft. Set aside.

In a large pot, melt about 40g of butter. Remove from heat and stir in 2tbsp of flour. Return to a low heat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat again.

Now here is where I start to work by eye, and not measure, which is difficult for you!

Using a whisk, start adding milk. Maybe about 300ml or so. Splash of milk, whisk, splash, whisk, until it's all incorporated. You should now have a completely smooth liquid. Return to a high heat. Add the two stock pots, whisking continuously, and about 300ml of water.

Season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes to cook out any floury taste. Add a generous splash of cream. It should be thick and creamy. If you wish you can add some mustard here but I opted not to this time because there was lots of mustard in my ham glaze.

Now, line a deep dish with your shortcrust pastry. Patch it across the bottom and up the sides.

Add your meats and vegetables to the sauce, stir together and pour into your shortcrust base.

Top with puff and trim the edges. Tuck the two pastry sheets together around the edges, pinching with your fingers. Cut a hole in the centre to release steam while cooking. Decorate the top with trimmings, if you like.

Brush the top with beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes or so, until the pastry is golden and risen and the filling is piping hot.

Enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

That sausage thread got me craving

537779.jpg

537780.jpg

Ahh lads stop xD I want to try all of these

@Mystery Egg - Thank you much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

eeepaulo wrote: »
    That sausage thread got me craving

What did you think of them?
    I really rate that range but not that particular variety - too sweet for my taste.

Your Yorkshire pudding looks great, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

What did you think of them?
    I really rate that range but not that particular variety - too sweet for my taste.

I love them all. I tend to just click 2 random ones every week. Happy.

I use those pudds for roast beef dinner as well, really nice mopping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

NYE plans cancelled so a nice and simple steak, mash and green beans with a peppercorn sauce.

08-C9-B3-EF-ACB2-4591-8501-EF18-F06-FA31-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

How does one embed the photo in the post as opposed to attaching it as a jpg?

acer911 wrote: »
    How does one embed the photo in the post as opposed to attaching it as a jpg?

You need to use an image hosting site.

I use postimages.org and choose hotlink for forums. Then paste the link they provide here.

• Advertisement

We had pie leftovers, and chips from the air fryer. It was great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We usually go to my brother's house for New Year's Eve and have a lovely buffet supper. This year it was chicken curry at home.

20201231-185900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

IMG-20201231-172100.jpg
    I made a goats cheese and roasted tomato tart for my mum and I and a gluten free pastry tart with bacon and chili flavoured halloumi for my dad with garlic and cheese mash, mushy peas, roasted Brussels sprouts and broad beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Roald Dahl

So, come 11 o'clock we had this:

UK-Adieu.jpg

Then the time came to ring in the New Year!

Pina-Colada.jpg

Happy New Year!

Euch Allen einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr!

Had lovely lamb chump chops cooked rare.
    Roast carrots, beetroot, parsnips, garlic and potatoes.
    Tomato gravy.

We ate kinda early so ended up having a midnight snack of fried boneless chicken thighs and fried plantain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

l9vOkzhl.jpg

......needed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Planet X wrote: »
    l9vOkzhl.jpg

......needed that.

Looks good but what is it? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

6 hour smoked Spare Ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Big bowl of chicken wings which I did in the airfryer, then coated in buffalo sauce.

Tasty.

IMG-20210101-180226.jpg

IMG-20210101-190938283.jpg

Fillet of beef teriyaki noodles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Day 1, healthy eating. Ugh. Salmon with broccoli, asparagus and pak choi stirfry.

Salmon was on the edge of being ok to eat, I reckon. Non-zero chance I've just given myself food poisoning for the rest of my holidays.

Y6jwi5H.jpg
    acer911 wrote: »
    Where did you get the pastrami?

Lidl's finest. Nothing fancy.

IMG_20210101_172210.jpg
    Roast beef with beef juice/gravy
    Mash and roast spuds
    Mushy peas and Carrots

Corned beef and cabbage again last night.
    Champ, parsley sauce, cabbage with preserved lemon.

Seriously good meat. I have a new found love for corned beef - but only from one particular butcher. I tried another one but it wasn't a patch on the good one.

Strangely, I am not trying to recreate a taste from childhood, I am looking for better. The not so good version was over salted and kind of dry in the middle - like I remember corned beef as a child. I never cared for it.
    The good one, however is a thing of beauty. Nice and moist, beefy and subtly salted and flavoured. We devoured it!

O Mahony's, English Market, Cork, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pasta with peas and a ridiculous amount of garlic with some parsely/anchovies/capers/parmesan fired in. GF was eating some leftover Indian, she doesn't like peas, so I take my chances when I get them.

yeN6dXB.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roasted rib beef on the bone from Aldi - you can't beat it :)

20210102-185753.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

20210102-185753.jpg

My kind of dinner for this weather.... i always have to have mushy peas with a roast, bit of childhood nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Jumbo sausages, mashed potatoes, peas and homemade onion gravy. Serious comfort food!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

20210102-185753.jpg

Do Aldi do bigger plates? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Fillet steak on a bed of mash. Red wine jus and roasted root veg with baby boiled spuds. It hit the spot.

IMG-20210103-191017.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Fillet steak on a bed of mash. Red wine jus and roasted root veg with baby boiled spuds. It hit the spot.

Whilst this is making my mouth water, please please tell me you added more veg to that plate after you took the picture? Coz 2 little stumps of carrot and parsnip for dinner would make me cry.

Advertisement