Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Rib eye steak with mash, onion rings and garlic mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yeah I can just enjoy it tomorrow.. the veg and mash was still pretty good (it was the gravy that made it)... though the brussel sprouts actually tasted like they were out of the bin... 79c tesco frozen ones..funnily enough the broccoli was the same 79c frozen and tasted delicious.

Hi again everyone I presume its okay to Cook that chicken ive been defrosting since yesterday morning at 8.30 am. Putting it in oven now surely Its fine not gone off? Its just fully defrosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Hi again everyone I presume its okay to Cook that chicken ive been defrosting since yesterday morning at 8.30 am. Putting it in oven now surely Its fine not gone off? Its just fully defrosted.

Not sure we're allowed to give food hygiene/safety advice but if there isn't a very bad smell coming off it after defrosting it, I'd put it in the oven and just make sure it's cooked through when you take it out. If you cut into the breast and there is any sign of pink or blood in the juices then it needs longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Once it was in the fridge, I see no problem. If it was off, you would know the minute you unwrapped it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: As OREGATO said, food safety advice isn't allowed on the forum for obvious reasons.

Tonight I had chicken in creamy tomato sauce with penne. Mr. Dizzy had jumbo sausages, mash and gravy with onions and mushrooms.
    There was a LOT of washing up to be done afterwards.

Mod note: As OREGATO said, food safety advice isn't allowed on the forum for obvious reasons.

Tonight I had chicken in creamy tomato sauce with penne. Mr. Dizzy had jumbo sausages, mash and gravy with onions and mushrooms.
    There was a LOT of washing up to be done afterwards.

Two dinners at once? I know the feeling.:D

I had a simple late lunch today - Young's Cod in batter baked in the oven, with chips and baked beans.

Repeated the exercise for the ladies in my life this evening except they had homemade triple cooked chips with theirs.

Pleasantly surprised by the Young's fish.

Young's.png

My evening snack is smoked Austrian cheese and some soda bread.

Triple cooked chips? Method please?!:)

Roast was gorgeous and yeah the chicken seemed perfect - youd barely notice it was frozen!

Triple cooked chips? Method please?!:)

Roast was gorgeous and yeah the chicken seemed perfect - youd barely notice it was frozen!

Glad the chicken turned out well for you. I cook thawed out chicken fillets and joints on a regular basis and nothing wrong at all with them. Just get used to how to thaw them out.

Triple cook chips? You do need a deep fryer. It's labour intensive but worth it. Here you go....

1. Use Maris Piper potatoes if you can. Roasters are good too.
    2. Peel and slice.
    3. Par boil the chips for 10 to 15 minutes then drain.
    4. Let them steam dry in a colander or sieve for at least 10 minutes.
    5. Deep fry them for 15 minutes on 140 degrees.
    6. Take them out and leave to settle for 10 minutes.
    7. Put them back in the fryer on 180 degrees for 3 or so minutes until crispy.

Result - the best crispy homemade chips you will ever have!

Edit: They aren't healthy, but taste fab!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My friend cooked last night. It was a slightly weird meal. Chicken thighs baked in a sauce made from coconut milk and sun-dried tomatoes, with pasta, and salad. The chicken dish did not seem to be seasoned - even the tomatoes seemed to have lost their flavour. Dessert however was a different ballgame. She made one large gooey cookie from dark chocolate and almonds. It was oozey, gooey, warm deliciousness. Definitely going to attempt to make it!

I have a beef stew in the slow cooker for this evening, with leeks, onions, carrots and mushrooms. I hope it's appetizing. It's snowing where I am right now so winter warmer dinners are just the ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I'd coddle last night!!

First time making it and first time tasting it, really really tasty.
    I'll definitely make it again.
    I was really apprehensive about tasting anaemic looking sausages, but melt in the mouth lovely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I had a delicious Five Spice Chicken with crispy noodles last nght...from Mao :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some recent meals from Brussels and Dublin!

Onion bhaji's, aloo jeera and tarka daal from L'Everest.

o5SJYuWl.jpg

Ethiopian vegan discovery menu from Kokob.

3J3ymd8l.jpg

And in Dublin last night this is tofu Massaman curry from Thai Spice, excellent.

TEF2Be3l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Some recent meals from Brussels and Dublin!

Onion bhaji's, aloo jeera and tarka daal from L'Everest.

Ethiopian vegan discovery menu from Kokob.

And in Dublin last night this is tofu Massaman curry from Thai Spice, excellent.

The Ethiopian looks amazing - just got me thinking, I haven't had Ethiopian in absolute ages. I'll need to check if there are any good restaurants in Munich.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I need to see if there is one in Dublin, the food was unreal there. I love the way you have the crepe kind of things to pick up the food, delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Steak, baked spuds, veg and gravy.

Washed down with a lovely Rioja.

Went for some of the best pizza in Cork, from Novecentos.

Had dinner in a cafe in the Midlands today.

A baked potato covered in chilli, jalapenos and mozzerella. On the side, some coleslaw, grated cheddar and lettuce. Superb stuff altogether off the beaten track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

My daughter had "star pupil of the week" award in her school today (apparently, she's the first in the class to get the award twice so far) so i told her to pick her treat. (She's 6)

Dinner tonight was a MASSIVE margarita pizza with chips and garlic mayo and a small "hot n spicy" pizza with Another bag of chips

No prizes which was mine. No prizes for guessing her treat either.

In fairness it was a lovely pizza, and tbe break from cooking was welcome.

Falafel, tsatsiki, peanut butter houmous, cucmuber, onions, tomatoes, lettuce all stuffed into pita bread and drizzled with sriracha.

I'm in a food coma now, can't even contemplate a biscuit with m cup of tea.

• Advertisement

Beer battered hake with mash, tartar sauce and veg (from a carvery)

Spaghetti bolognese, with Black Magic chocolates for dessert. We'd just finished the leftover chocolate from Christmas, and Supervalu were selling them for half price and sure you couldn't leave them there.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Day off today. Popped into the butchers after the creche drop, and got 4 lamb shanks. Seared and lobbed into the slow cooker with chopped veg, beef stock and a dribble of red wine. I thought I had half a bottle to use, herself obviously developed a thirst areir and not a care was had about today's meal plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

One of the Lidl special onglet steaks. Has to be my favourite cut of steak ever. Croquets and corn.

steak_zpsjuhf79ip.jpg

409186.jpgBlitzed the veg when the lamb was cooked and used it all as a gravy. Amazing. I unashamedly made a dinner cake and ate it with a spoon.

beertons wrote: »
    409186.jpgBlitzed the veg when the lamb was cooked and used it all as a gravy. Amazing. I unashamedly made a dinner cake and ate it with a spoon.

You never mentioned the mushy peas.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Just me and the kids this evening as Mrs Stewart is away. We ate a pork loin cooked in the slow cooker, sprinkled with "pulled pork"' seasoning.

With that i also threw in some spuds, carrots and onions, a cup of water with tomato puree and a stock cube

It was like a stew/soup and it was pretty dam good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Leftover Roast Chicken and Veg Risotto

5C0CA422-9A99-49CB-99EC-678D78CEEF5C_zpstjbpzlz7.jpg

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You never mentioned the mushy peas.:D

Mushy pea's are just mushy pea's. The dish did need a bit of green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Bought a large joint of rib roast for yesterday. There was loads and loads left so have made a cottage pie for this evening. Not sure what to do with the rest. Not quite the weather for a cold plate.

Advertisement