Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

The chips are rooster pots, parboiled, bit of a shake to get the rough edges, into a deep saute pan with sunflower oil to cover chips. Little bit of movement to keep them separate.
    Job done.

Full disclosure: my husband is responsible for the chips. They are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭con747

Question, Tar, how many jumpers do you have and is one specifically reserved for cooking?

But for me today it was potato, carrot and leek soup with pretentious oil swirl and some crispy bacon bits (cut up rashers) to ruin my 100% vegetarian day so far.

Made a big batch of the same yesterday!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

con747 wrote: »
    Question, Tar, how many jumpers do you have and is one specifically reserved for cooking?
    !

I think Tar is mostly posting takeaway pics!

Tar, the food you post always looks great but also looks expensive. You must spend a fortune on food!

Do you also cook? I don't recall you posting home cooked food.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tar, the food you post always looks great but also looks expensive. You must spend a fortune on food!

My son says he's somewhat familiar with Musashi (Capel st) - a Japanese restaurant run wholely by Chinese... He thinks that first post would represent about €30 worth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

con747 wrote: »

Tar is being given free takeaway food for his vegan Instagram page, for Veganuary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tar is being given free takeaway food for his vegan Instagram page, for Veganuary

Jealous or what! That’s obviously the reason why all the pics are outside. All his flat mates would be raging about him getting free food so he’s eating them before he gets home. Am I right Tar? ;)

I'm confused by all this quoting that I started!

I can never figure out how it works.

Anyway, fair play Tar. I'm jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Rough day at work today, dinner is behind in a bowl. Prawn cocktail again, I may have gone a bit heavy on the tabasco making the sauce. Mouth is burned off me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haha why, do I keep posting in the same jumper or something?

Hey! Like the others said I'm lucky enough to have all those meals paid for because of my vegan page, I had a week of takeaway for every meal and some other promotions as well, hence all the pics. I don't mention them as I don't want to be shilling and certainly don't recommend eating out as much as that.

I usually cook quite a lot as I love doing so with my girlfriend, and quite plain healthy food for the most part, potatoes, legumes, soups etc. I think I did post some, but I'll stick up some recent ones!

Really easy one pot meal. Fry onions in water, add boiling water with potatoes, carrots, left over broccoli stalks (no waste), whole garlic (don't chop, this will still impart garlic flavour as well as making delicious soft cooked garlic to the end product) and a stock cube, later add red lentils (wash thoroughly), finally add cauliflower, parsley, tarragon and turmeric.

6OiB0CTl.jpg

lentils, veg & black garlic soup

l7JBs0Gl.jpg

Rice, beans, jalapeños, soy mince, avocado and enough coriander to scar a few people here.

gT8cvhVl.jpg

Vegan tiramisu

Ingredients:
    - 1 tub of vegan mascarpone, alternatively 1 block silken tofu
    - 1 lemon
    - 1 tub of elmea double plant cream, alternatively coconut cream
    - Icing sugar, according to taste
    - Cinnamon
    - Rum or rum aroma
    - Coffee
    - Biscuits (used rich tea but vegan lady fingers are ideal if you can find them, maybe online?)

1) Whip the cream. This can take ages with a handheld whisk. Life hack - put it in a jar with some air and shake it for a few minutes instead.
    2) Mix mascarpone with the lemon juice, cinnamon and icing sugar.
    3) Fold them into each other.

Mix the rum with coffee, dip biscuits in it one by one as you use them. This needs a lot of coffee/rum as it will weaken in the final product.

Layer a row of biscuits then cream, etc as tall as you want. Finish with a layer of cream (and pour remaining coffee/rum on it) and pour cocoa over the top. Put in the fridge overnight. Et voilà.

hLdDKaYl.jpg

A hungarian dish, Lecsó (Lecho) which is reminiscent of shakshuka, but very much has an Eastern European stamp on it.

It's extremely simple to make and had a new ingredient to me, white peppers. These are milder and, to me, much nicer than traditional bell peppers that I am used to, was happily eating them raw while cooking and I hate most veg raw.

To make this:
    1) Chop one onion and add to a pot, you know how to fry an onion.
    2) Add blanched tomatoes (I also added a tin of cirio tomatos) and reduce for 10 minutes with the lid on.
    3) Add 6 chopped white peppers (bought from Mroz). Cook until soft while stirring now and again, roughly 15 to 20 mins.
    4) When it is done add loads of paprika, smoked paprika, garlic powder and a little salt. That's it!

Butter sourdough (Naturli butter) and go to town on it.

6P1wuBLl.jpg

Marinated seitan steak with braised cabbage, leak, harissa, tahini, tomato and some almonds. Comes from the new cornucopia book.

sjCr7X9l.jpg

No oil buddha bowl. Charred airfried broccoli, basmati rice / corn, spinach, parsley, airfried crunchy tofu in an amazing peanut based sauce:

Just mix peanut butter, soy sauce, dijon mustard, garlic, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, lime, hot water.

5iFnnvPl.jpg

Homemade seitan w/ brown rice, roast cashews, black sesame seeds, mangetout, scallions & nutritional yeast.

This is the one! https://yupitsvegan.com/mongolian-seitan-vegan-beef/ The key is to fry it in the sauce, soooo good! I also make this one which is simpler and still tasty! http://yeahthatvegan****.blogspot.com/2007/04/infamous-seitan-recipe-o-greatness.html

LIvPpSll.jpg

Jealous or what! That’s obviously the reason why all the pics are outside. All his flat mates would be raging about him getting free food so he’s eating them before he gets home. Am I right Tar? ;)
    Haha exactly, and my terrible natural lighting at home, so wanted to make them clearer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I made a curry! Its lentil and squash.
    Its the First proper from scratch curry I think I've made.
    Put too much cumin in or burnt the spices as it is a tad bitter.
    I didnt want to go adding more salt or sugar to balance out the bitter so i shall eat it as is. Its not inedible :)

• Advertisement

We had plans for ravioli but I'm so lazy even boiling the fresh pasta for three minutes was beyond me today, so it was a chicken kebab from the chipper and nugs for the small man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

JKoBCio3_o.jpg

ljB8Krun_o.jpg

ztkdf3g1_o.jpg

Mushroom, bacon and pepperoni pizza with Sorrel from the not-lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

sammyjo90 wrote: »

I've sometimes heard of adding the spices as a bolus: add all the spices to some water in a mug and then temper them. However, that always seems like a lot of messing about, so I shove stuff to one side of the pan, pour in some boiling water, then measure the spices into the water. By the time I've added all the spices, the water's boiled off and I can temper the spices normally - maybe add some oil if I think it's needed. Works for me - usually :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chicken casserole tonight. Not pretty, but it was delicious.

20210121-184208.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We had plans for ravioli but I'm so lazy even boiling the fresh pasta for three minutes was beyond me today, so it was a chicken kebab from the chipper and nugs for the small man.

What's the chicken kebab like from your local chipper?

Our local one does it completely wrong. :( They basically take a southern fried chicken breast and chop it up and then lob the kebab sauce and salad on top.

awec wrote: »

Our local one does it completely wrong. :( They basically take a southern fried chicken breast and chop it up and then lob the kebab sauce and salad on top.

There are two chippers in my town and one does what you describe.

The other one, that we ordered from, has proper lamb and chicken kebab meat on those giant skewers. Slices are carved off and served in a pita with lettuce, red onion and red cabbage, and a spicy pink sauce. I'd say the sauce is chilli sauce, tomato sauce and garlic mayo mixed.

Nowhere near authentic, nowhere near as good as say, Zaytoon, but very nice. Messy and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Thought for a minute I had gone mad.. thinking to myself the kebab conversation has already been had today,has it not? but its in another thread in the cork city forum :pac:
    Never seen a fried chicken kebab... sacrilege

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Diced up breaded or southern chicken breast kebab is the norm here in chippers too. My partner eats them, I can't stand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Any kind of Kebab in Irish takeaways is pure evil. I often ate the Doner version, when extremely pissed in my younger years and most likely off a car bonnet.:D
    The very last time I ate one in Ireland, I'd bought a nice Samsung Galaxy S (very low number:D) I brought it home and let it loose on a plate. Picked at it and then took a photo of it. Never again..:eek: To actually see inside it was a frightening sight.:eek: But I have had great ones since and all abroad in places that take a little bit of pride in it.

The frozen Doner meat in supermarkets scares me and yes most joints try to recreate the chicken version with those god awful breaded fillets sliced up. All that said, most Chinese takeaways are muck too. I'm guilty/:eek:

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are two chippers in my town and one does what you describe.

The other one, that we ordered from, has proper lamb and chicken kebab meat on those giant skewers. Slices are carved off and served in a pita with lettuce, red onion and red cabbage, and a spicy pink sauce. I'd say the sauce is chilli sauce, tomato sauce and garlic mayo mixed.

Nowhere near authentic, nowhere near as good as say, Zaytoon, but very nice. Messy and tasty.

The one you ordered sounds delicious. I was really disappointed with the southern fried nonsense our local does.

I love a good kebab, lamb is my preference but I'd take the chicken one no bother. At home there is this place that does this luminous orange sauce on it and I have never tasted nicer, I'd buy it by the litre if I could. Have no idea whatsoever what is in it.

I don't like the Zaytoon ones cause they put peppers and stuff in it and that's just trying to be fancy. A wee side salad is all a kebab needs.

Jaysus I'd eat a kebab right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

The lamb doner is pretty poor in a lot of places I'd agree, but a chicken or lamb shish Kebab from Zaytoon which is whole meat pieces grilled is amazing. I've never actually had their doner meat but I'd imagine it's much better than your average chipper donor. I miss that place was great for soak-age after a night out. I was ravenous one night going in and got the meal deal for two. Two kebabs with a side of chips and hummus, finished it all :D!

Miss it since I moved down the country, local kebab shop is actually decent enough they do make their own bread and they do a tandoori chicken kebab. They gave me a chicken doner by mistake recently though and I couldn't finish it half the chicken was inedible with how gristly it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never had a nicer kebab than the one in the Cooking Club :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057395904

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Open steak sambo.

540288.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Was in Pavilions last week & it pained me walking past a Zaytoon poster :o

On the plus side, Abrakabara was open for takeaway & I got two of their €4 pitta's !

One chicken & one falafel :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Any kind of Kebab in Irish takeaways is pure evil. I often ate the Doner version, when extremely pissed in my younger years and most likely off a car bonnet.:D
    The very last time I ate one in Ireland, I'd bought a nice Samsung Galaxy S (very low number:D) I brought it home and let it loose on a plate. Picked at it and then took a photo of it. Never again..:eek: To actually see inside it was a frightening sight.:eek: But I have had great ones since and all abroad in places that take a little bit of pride in it.

The frozen Doner meat in supermarkets scares me and yes most joints try to recreate the chicken version with those god awful breaded fillets sliced up. All that said, most Chinese takeaways are muck too. I'm guilty/:eek:

No! I've only had kebab from Istanbul in Cork or Capitol in Galway.
    Very decent and great chips too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bah. I'm sure it's ok, but it is not a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The one you ordered sounds delicious. I was really disappointed with the southern fried nonsense our local does.

I love a good kebab, lamb is my preference but I'd take the chicken one no bother. At home there is this place that does this luminous orange sauce on it and I have never tasted nicer, I'd buy it by the litre if I could. Have no idea whatsoever what is in it.

I don't like the Zaytoon ones cause they put peppers and stuff in it and that's just trying to be fancy. A wee side salad is all a kebab needs.

Jaysus I'd eat a kebab right now.

Those little green chili peppers are one of the best things in the world. I eat them on their own. Zaytoon is pretty good, but Iskanders on Dame St. was always the best.

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I made a curry! Its lentil and squash.
    Its the First proper from scratch curry I think I've made.
    I didnt want to go adding more salt or sugar to balance out the bitter so i shall eat it as is. Its not inedible :)

Cumin can catch and burn pretty easily and, yes, does get bitter. You only want to fry is for a minute or less at not too high a heat before adding liquid or something wet like tomato.
    Coriander can take more frying without burning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Spinach, vegan cheese, basil, garlic & spring onion ravioli in a creamy garlic, leek & herb sauce.

WY4zT3Vl.jpg

cdWo92kl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

IMG_20210122_183438.jpg

Rice, Fish and Green Beans. Quick and easy

Advertisement