Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

** I've moved the posts about cooking mojo to form a new thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058154208

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Bbq "pulled" jackfruit on brioche buns with chips (well, roast tenderstem broccoli for me)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Risotto. Not my cup of tea but I made it for the other half who loves it.

IMG-20210128-180804695.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Sweet chilli salmon, peas and fondant potatoes.

It was my first time cooking fondant potatoes. They were damn tasty if I do say so myself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had pork chops barbecued with lots of garlic granules, salt and black pepper - with beans and mash. I actually really enjoyed it :)

20210128-184906.jpg

• Advertisement

God I love beans and mash. My OH refuses to even try it though. He likes beans and he likes mash... I don't know why the idea of having both together is so abhorrent to him!

My husband won't touch beans and mash either. I don't think I've had it since we got married (16 years).

One of these days I'm just going to put it in front of him for dinner. He can either eat it, or go hungry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I love beans and mash. It goes with almost anything. Sausages, pork chops or a beef burger. I'm getting ideas for a mad lunch tomorrow....just for me!

I had this lovely dinner late last Saturday night.

IMG-20210123-165924.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah another +1 for beans and mash. One of my favourite dinners. Great comfort food. Mrs. B doesn’t like it though. Weirdo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Beans and mash or mash with soft fried eggs which I had this week for dinner is ultimate comfort food.
    My husband makes the most incredible mash, he rices the potatoes when they're done, butter cream and seasoning. I'd eat a pot of them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't know what it is but beans and mash is one of the best combinations out there.
    Recliner wrote: »
    Beans and mash or mash with soft fried eggs which I had this week for dinner is ultimate comfort food.
    My husband makes the most incredible mash, he rices the potatoes when they're done, butter cream and seasoning. I'd eat a pot of them.

Pretty sure this is what they do in restaurants when you get mash! Calorie-laden amazingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can't stand mash. I like beans on toast, though.

awec wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but beans and mash is one of the best combinations out there.

Pretty sure this is what they do in restaurants when you get mash! Calorie-laden amazingness.

It's the best mash I've ever eaten.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I can't stand mash. I like beans on toast, though.

WHAT!! WHY?? Sacrelige!! (Although beans on toast is also awesome).

But you can't stand mash? We can never be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

awec wrote: »

What does ricing mean?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Hainanese chicken and rice from this recipe.

Not shown is the second big bowl of rice I had afterwards, it was so damn good :o

JRpzk2t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

What does ricing mean?

Putting it through a potato ricer instead of just mashing it, don't get any small lumps in it at all and it comes out fluffier

cefh17 wrote: »
    Putting it through a potato ricer instead of just mashing it, don't get any small lumps in it at all and it comes out fluffier

What they said!!
    I'm too lazy to do it but my husband always does, hence the fact that his mashed spuds are far superior to mine.

What they said!!
    I'm too lazy to do it but my husband always does, hence the fact that his mashed spuds are far superior to mine.

I've never seen such an implement.

• Advertisement

I've never seen such an implement.

This is one. Just Google potato ricer.
    Thank me later

This is one. Just Google potato ricer.
    Thank me later

Like a garlic crusher almost.

Like a garlic crusher almost.

But bigger..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Tonight im gonna do nachos and a movie.
    Never made my own.
    Does anyone have a recipe or some tips?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    Never made my own.

You're making nachos? The chips themselves?
    I usually just buy the Old El Paso ones.

If you're making chilli con carne, I like to use a bit of Gran Luchito chipotle paste for a smokey kick. Or chipotles in adobo.

Refried beans are good... I've never managed to make it well though, so Old El Paso again.

And red salsa!

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    Never made my own.

Nachos here is a favourite treat dinner.

I make a cheat's cheese sauce in the following way:

Grate some mild cheddar into a microwave safe jug or bowl. Take a heaped teaspoon of cornflour and toss the cheese in the flour with a fork so it is well coated. Pour in evaporated milk from a can (NOT condensed milk) up to the top of the cheese. Cook on high in the microwave for one minute. Stir with a fork. Cook on high for another minute. Stir again. It should be completely smooth and pourable.

Home made Pico de Gallo (chunky salsa): combine freshly chopped tomatoes, finely diced onion, chopped jalapenos, 1 raw garlic clove, a pinch of sugar, a grind of salt and pepper, some chopped scallions, and chopped coriander (if you like it) with fresh lime juice.

Home made guacamole: mash ripe avocadoes and stir in finely chopped red onion, a finely chopped red chilli or a jalapeno, a clove of garlic, salt, pepper and lime juice. And optional coriander again.

Layer your tortilla chips in a bowl. Add cheese sauce. Add more tortilla chips and more sauce. Top with salsa and guacamole. Add a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle the whole thing with more jalapenos.

If you want some protein in there you can add a dollop of leftover chilli or rinse a can of black beans or kidney beans and sprinkle them over.

By the way if anyone knows where I can get unsalted tortilla chips please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

WHAT!! WHY?? Sacrelige!! (Although beans on toast is also awesome).

But you can't stand mash? We can never be friends.

I'm an atheist and would love to incorporate sacrilege as a middle name.

Hate the stuff, always have and always will. It's the floury texture and mouth-feel. The only potato I have ever liked, apart from chips and the sautéd ones I do, are ones that were litterally roasted in the ashes of a bonfire. Even then it was the ash, burnt skin and butter doing 98% of the heavy lifting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

cefh17 wrote: »

I whip mine with an electric hand mixer which does the same thing with less effort. The key is to whip the potatoes on their own before adding butter/milk/cream. That way the potatoes break down for mash - if you add anything else too soon then the little lumps that might be there won't break down as they become too slippery for the mixer.:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you don't have a ricer you can also force them through a sieve (obviously not a very fine sieve), it will just take longer!

To be honest though, mash is my least favourite way to eat potatoes.

Advertisement