Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Recliner wrote: »
    This is from the 11 Yr old? I'm well impressed and not a small bit jealous.

She's quite something. She'll regularly prepare a meal for her family of five without anyone asking her to. She's a special one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Tapas tonight, Lemon garlic chicken, chorizo al vino, roasted peppers, fennel, patatas bravas and jambon croquettes.

541684.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

We had lobster rolls and sweet potatoe fries last night - the rolls were delicious, but the fries from Lidl weren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Italian feast at the weekend.

Grissinis and pesto

1.jpg

Beef carpaccio

2.jpg

Mushroom ravioli. Did a sage butter sauce with shaved black truffle.

3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pints?

Space Dog wrote: »
    We had lobster rolls and sweet potatoe fries last night - the rolls were delicious, but the fries from Lidl weren't great.

Can I ask where you got the soft rolls? I've been searching for something similar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Pints? wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got the soft rolls? I've been searching for something similar!

They're the Specially Selected brioche hot dog rolls from Aldi, really good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

First time using an airfryer. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Badabing1

cee_jay wrote: »
    Roast chicken dinner was planned, when I noticed the chicken fillets delivered in Friday's order had a use by date of today.
    So did sweet and sour chicken - Hong Kong style with chicken balls. I did the chicken myself, but used the Mayflower Cantonese Sweet and Sour sauce which I think is one of the few sweet and sour sauces I've ever liked!

Apologies for butting in but would love to know her w to do the chicken balls please. Tried frying them before and it was a disaster. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just plain comfort food this evening.

Mashed spuds, pan fried chicken breast with mushrooms and corn

It was feckin delicious.

IMG-20210201-184455.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Badabing1 wrote: »
    Apologies for butting in but would love to know her w to do the chicken balls please. Tried frying them before and it was a disaster. Thanks

Sorry for butting in on the OP. I used to make my own. For a sweet and sour dish, I'd describe them more as chicken chunks. Diced chicken fillet pieces, rolled in egg or milk and then flour. Deep fried until the coating is crispy. Drain and then add to the wok with veg and sauce for another few minutes. Also good if doing a salt and chili chicken dish. You need a deep fat fryer and it's a messy job. I cheat these days and buy decent brand frozen popcorn chicken. Nearly a tenner a bag, but good. Airfry the chicken and then into the wok. Easier, a little healthier and no mess. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Dinner of champions.

My belly hurts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I followed this here:
    http://www.chineserecipesforall.com/recipes/view/sweet-and-sour-chicken-balls

I used the wok, with a couple of cms of oil in it... don't overcrowd it, and cook the chicken in batches.

Today, I worked quite late, so it was a quick dinner of burgers and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

One of my Mammy's favourites tonight — baked Mexican rice, salad and homemade guac.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Chicken curry, rice and chips.

Curry was one you get in tesco, comes in the metallic tray (it's not their own brand), it's delicious.

cee_jay wrote: »
    I followed this here:
    http://www.chineserecipesforall.com/recipes/view/sweet-and-sour-chicken-balls

I used the wok, with a couple of cms of oil in it... don't overcrowd it, and cook the chicken in batches.

Great thanks, will give them another go so.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in on the OP. I used to make my own. For a sweet and sour dish, I'd describe them more as chicken chunks. Diced chicken fillet pieces, rolled in egg or milk and then flour. Deep fried until the coating is crispy. Drain and then add to the wok with veg and sauce for another few minutes. Also good if doing a salt and chili chicken dish. You need a deep fat fryer and it's a messy job. I cheat these days and buy decent brand frozen popcorn chicken. Nearly a tenner a bag, but good. Airfry the chicken and then into the wok. Easier, a little healthier and no mess. Hope this helps.

Good idea, although it's hard to get popcorn chicken with Irish chicken I find. Thanks 👍

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

awec wrote: »
    Chicken curry, rice and chips.

Curry was one you get in tesco, comes in the metallic tray (it's not their own brand), it's delicious.

Meals made easy brand? It's not bad at all. I think the brand is from Tesco.

They did a very nice beef stroganoff, which seems to have disappeared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We didn't have a takeaway at the weekend so last night we got the Monday special from Sanuk Thai. Sweet chilli chicken, pad katiem prik thai, rice, spicy potato cubes and corn cakes.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Yea that's the one! Don't think I've ever had the stroganoff but there is a beef casserole that's also delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

McDo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Made my classic "I can't believe it's not paella" dish this evening!

Good idea, although it's hard to get popcorn chicken with Irish chicken I find. Thanks 👍

You're dead right. All the frozen product seems to come from Thailand. But it's a decent cheat if you don't have the time to make up the chicken pieces. However you can batch make pieces from fresh fillets and freeze them. Once again if you have the time.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

The tray of beef stroganoff was never repeated and I didn't get to try it either.:mad: I heard it was decent.

Ms G had Clonakilty sausages, mash and beans. (The only dinner cooked.) Mrs G is on a WWs buzz and had one of their meals. I opted for a lazy evening off and will have the Chef in a Box brand Turkey and Ham dinner. Christmas Day on a Tuesday in February.:eek: But they are a really good ready meal brand when required. Supporting Irish made.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had sausage mash and beans 2 days in a row aswell, its the new craze sweeping the nation apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thargor wrote: »
    I had sausage mash and beans 2 days in a row aswell, its the new craze sweeping the nation apparently.

I've told himself that this is going on the meal plan for next week. He refuses to eat beans and mash though... so he'll get peas instead of beans. Doesn't know what he's missing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

SuperValu Chicken Cordon Bleu, with mash, and sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower that were not used with Sunday's roast beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had, on the one hand, a very traditional dinner of slow cooked meat, onion gravy, mash, carrots and turnips (swede).

On the other hand, the meat being venison shank and the turnips having miso added makes it a wanky dinner, perhaps.

Either way, it was lovely.

I know I've gone on about it before but miso turnip is a revelation!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Larbre34 wrote: »
    SuperValu Chicken Cordon Bleu
    Do they have it pre made? In packets or from the butchers counter? I made a thread ages ago asking where to get it, nobody seems to have it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Burger and chips.
    I need to actually cook something that involves preparing herbs or spices.. Just something that requires a little bit of effort.
    I'm relying on very basic meals lately..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had bangers and mash with lots of butter. No beans, I didn't fancy them - I must be unwell! :pac:

Advertisement