Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I tried that TikTok recipe that's doing the rounds. Block of feta in an oven tray, surrounded by cherry tomatoes and roasted, then mixed up with pasta. It was actually quite nice.

543083.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Brown sauce on cabbage and bacon? Whaaaaat...

Deeeeelicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Food coma incoming.

I had intended having the Kerala Fried Chicken with rice but.... ended up with something that was closer to a kebab and I'm glad I did.

Kerala Fried Chicken, Indian Style Salad, Naan Bread, Riata, Spicy Chips.

Only got a picture of a few pieces of leftover chicken that won't make it to tomorrow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Steak, garlic mushrooms and asparagus, roasted butternut squash tonight. It was very tasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had teriyaki beef tonight, it's one of my favourite dinners. No photo because I posted one recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Everyone is worried about the brown sauce but I'm worried about the "hairy bacon". What!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Chicken Curry

That's a fine looking Curry you have there. Gonna make one this weekend!
    Everyone is worried about the brown sauce but I'm worried about the "hairy bacon". What!!

Well the only hairy bacon I remember is on the rasher rind. I guess the oul pig wasn't shaved enough. It's well shaved crackling these days.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

have you never had any rashers on bacon with the bristles still on???

https://www.mccarthysofkanturk.ie/product/hard-salt-bacon/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Honey-mustardy quinoa and apple salad with a pork chop and crispy shallots/pickled onions.

Crispy shallots may be one of my new favourite things. Bonus shot of the batch I made a hames of. I'm still going to eat them with a spoon.

oogHjFS.jpg

Comerman wrote: »
    have you never had any rashers on bacon with the bristles still on???

Not by choice!

• Advertisement

We had roast chicken tonight. I was going out and didn't know when I'd be back so I lined the base of a casserole with slices of potato, dressed with oil, sea salt and black pepper, and popped the bird on it upside down, covered in foil.

When I got home a few hours later it was almost fully cooked, so I flipped it over, turned up the heat, threw a few Lidl goosefat frozen roasties into the oven and made some veg and gravy.

The chicken was very succulent but the sliced potatoes underneath were the star of the show - they had turned into an intensely delicious chicken-flavoured mash. Me and the husband nearly licked the plates. The small man ate some chicken and roasties so I was happy with that!

Such a cold night. Perfect for a chicken dinner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Spiced meatballs and the tomato sauce again. No pic, looks the same as last time.
    Definitely one of our new fav dinners.
    Made double the sauce and threw in the freezer for next time

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

We had roast chicken tonight. I was going out and didn't know when I'd be back so I lined the base of a casserole with slices of potato, dressed with oil, sea salt and black pepper, and popped the bird on it upside down, covered in foil.

When I got home a few hours later it was almost fully cooked, so I flipped it over, turned up the heat, threw a few Lidl goosefat frozen roasties into the oven and made some veg and gravy.

The chicken was very succulent but the sliced potatoes underneath were the star of the show - they had turned into an intensely delicious chicken-flavoured mash. Me and the husband nearly licked the plates. The small man ate some chicken and roasties so I was happy with that!

This sounds gorgeous. I will be trying it. Thickish slices of potatoes I presume. What temp was it in at. I've a gas cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Badabing1

Sounds gorgeous, would love to try the sliced potatoes. Do they turn out like a gratin kind of? Does all the juice from the chicken not make them over watery or greasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Glad I am not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

543259.jpg

543260.jpg

543261.jpg

Regarding the potato questions, no, they are thin slices. I oiled the dish first, then drizzled the potatoes with a touch more oil and seasoned them. In all they were cooking on a low heat for 2.5-3 hours under the chicken but I'm sure they'd cook at the normal rate of cooking the bird.

It is not really like a gratin, I only used two medium Rooster potatoes so it was a small amount, and it's far uglier than a gratin. :pac: There were some chicken juices on the top and I drained them off for use in the gravy.

We had a super spicy chilli tonight. I made a version suitable for the 2 year old which, naturally, went untouched. :) We ate ours with all the trimmings. Shame about the soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We had beef stroganoff with pasta and green beans. I know it doesn't look like much from the photo, but it's packed full of flavour. I always end up licking the plate with this one!

woodchuck wrote: »
    We had beef stroganoff with pasta and green beans. I know it doesn't look like much from the photo, but it's packed full of flavour. I always end up picking the plate with this one!

Could I have your recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

We had a dine at home meal this evening - a collaboration with Sprezzatura and Platform Pizza.
    This is the gears cheese pizza with pancetta, candied walnuts and maple syrup and it was gorgeous!
    There was also a margarita pizza, fennel sausage ragu pasta (this was delicious) and a blue cheese pasta (which wasnt my favourite).

• Advertisement

Hairy bacon :-) mushroom and sweetcorn pizza

PHOTO-20210212-194447.jpg

PHOTO-20210212-194612.jpg

Great to have the shell garage closing times thrown in there too :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Me too!

I love stroganoff, but never attempted to make it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've been shopping at the wrong Shell garage!

Looks epic Comerman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Postimage sneak the odd ad in - I usually edit them out of mine :pac:

First one was the young lads, I had beer sausage and mushroom with a dash of hot honey
    PHOTO-20210212-202938.jpg

There may be paid advertising :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

No problem :) Sorry the quantities aren't exact, I taste a lot as I go...

Ingredients:
    Stir fry beef (~550g)
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    [Mushrooms, ~150g: optional. I used to use mushrooms, but omit it these days due to digestion issues]
    Red wine (~100-150ml)
    Worcestershire sauce (~1 tbsp)
    Beef stock (1 kallo cube in 500ml hot water)
    Creme fraiche (~100g)
    Thyme (dry is fine)
    Parsley (dry is fine)
    Salt and pepper to season
    Tagliatelle and green beens to serve

Method:
    - Brown the beef in a frying pan.
    - Add the red wine to beef and simmer until the alcohol has boiled off.
    - Meanwhile, fry the onion (and mushrooms - optional) in a large pot.
    - Add the cooked beef in wine to the pot with the onions.
    - Add the stock, worcestershire sauce, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
    - Simmer for ~15 minutes, adding more worcestershire sauce, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
    - Add the creme fraiche and simmer for another 5 minutes (add more to taste, if needed).
    - Meanwhile, boil the pasta and the veg.
    - Serve!

Two of us get two days out of it. It can be a little runny on the first day, but it's perfect on the second day! It also works well with baby potatoes instead of pasta if you prefer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Love beef stronanoff as well and Rick Steins recipe is the one I use (minus the matchstick potatoes). I throw in sliced gherkins and some of their juice as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefstroganoffwithma_71568

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I am so jealous of you lot cooking. Broke a toe on Wednesday night so am off kitchen duties for a few weeks.

Because my mum isn't fit to do much cooking and my dad can't cook very well, we had takeaway tonight.

I got a veggie kebab on chips! It was deliciously durrty. The one in our chipper is usually with veg pakora but because of my allergies they won't give me it and make mine with a veggie burger instead so it was really just a chopped up veggie burger on top of chips with a load of salad and sauces.

Was yummy. I want another one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Witchie wrote: »
    I am so jealous of you lot cooking. Broke a toe on Wednesday night so am off kitchen duties for a few weeks.

Do you cook with your toe? No ... get back in there. Crutches if necessary!

I jest, of course, get well soon, etc.

Advertisement