Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I had them before. Reasonable price and quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

We weren't too hungry this evening so I made mushroom soup and ham and cheese bread rolls. Gorgeous and very filling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Rib eye steak with onions, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, mash and gravy. Dessert was three crepes - one with Nutella and two with butter, sugar and lemon juice. Honestly I'm a bottomless pit for crepes. I could eat them all day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

This and only this beauty

PHOTO-20210216-184717.jpg

PHOTO-20210216-190120.jpg

PHOTO-20210216-190841.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I see we have gone from bangers and mash to steak.:pac:

As for Cod, I've never tried the Tesco version, but highly recommend Youngs in beer batter or Donegal catch in batter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We had leftover creamy chicken with broccoli and pasta.

And pancakes for dessert! I have digestive issues if I eat too much egg though, so I can only risk ONE small pancake. I decided to make the most of it by doing half sugar&lemon and half nutella :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

cnocbui wrote: »
    [IM]https://images2.imgbox.com/97/c7/UpoBXssG_o.jpg[/IMG]
    [IG]https://images2.imgbox.com/89/8e/fLXtWZVY_o.jpg[/IMG]

Steak with a sauce of mushrooms, butter, cream, olives, wine and capers.

Sautéd potatoes - spuds cooked in duck fat; shallots and garlic cooked in butter; parsley, salt, pepper.
    Looks like an M&S ad! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Thargor wrote: »
    Looks like an M&S ad! :eek:

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Aldi are doing boned and rolled lamb legs at the minute, rubbed in seasalt and herbs, and man are they good! :eek:

Roasted (well herself turned the oven on for me as I was out earning a living:))the lamb in a lowish heat with a bit of water in the bottom of the roasting pan covered with foil.

An hour and a half later, this bad boy emerged.

IMG-20210217-180151.jpg

Served it with mash potatoes, roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets, and of course lamb gravy from the juices. (Added brown sauce after the photo wouldn't you know!)

IMG-20210217-181530.jpg

The wife (a vegetarian) asks me - as soon as I'd finished, "did ya enjoy that" then called me a "feckin heathen" as it was ash wednesday.

Sure I forgot all about it FFS!

• Advertisement

We had salmon marinaded in garlic and herbs, fondant potatoes, honey roasted carrots and peas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

woodchuck wrote: »
    We had salmon marinaded in garlic and herbs, fondant potatoes, honey roasted carrots and peas.

I had heard of fondant potatoes before, but never knew what they were.
    And they seem easy to make, what a great idea.

Looks delicious!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I had heard of fondant potatoes before, but never knew what they were.
    And they seem easy to make, what a great idea.

Looks delicious!

Yeah they're actually not that much time or effort to makes, but super tasty! I never realised potatoes could taste so good :P

This is the recipe I used (roughly anyway):
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/fondant-potatoes/amp

I decided to do them on a whim today and only had dried herbs in instead of fresh, but they were still delicious!

woodchuck wrote: »
    Yeah they're actually not that much time or effort to makes, but super tasty! I never realised potatoes could taste so good :P

This is the recipe I used (roughly anyway):
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/fondant-potatoes/amp

I decided to do them on a whim today and only had dried herbs in instead of fresh, but they were still delicious!

Yeah thanks, I instantly went googling recipes.
    It seems like a lot of butter to use (but I guess that's why they are so good!).

Do you cover the potatoes in stock or is it OK to have the tops uncovered?
    That recipe doesn't say, but I would assume that you peel the potatoes as well?
    (ah, I see in the comments that the potatoes are peeled).

Hey McMurphy! Where in Aldi are those boned and rolled Lamb legs? I don't usually buy meat in Aldi, but you sold me with those pics.:D

We had Sausage Casserole and mash.

IMG-20210217-164029.jpg

Fakeaway here tonight. Tried my hand at a spice bag.

IMG-20210217-182317527.jpg

Nekkid

IMG-20210217-182409426.jpg

Saucy

It was really good but I'd use a better curry sauce in future. The one I used was Dunnes own brand and it was closer to a chipper curry sauce than a Chinese curry sauce. Otherwise, a cheaper, healthier alternative. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ I take it the little one loved it! :)

McMurphy wrote: »
    Aldi are doing boned and rolled lamb legs at the minute, rubbed in seasalt and herbs, and man are they good! :eek:

Mmmm, I'm thinking of kebabs when I see that.
    How much did it cost in Aldi?

Looks great Mystery. For a nice Chinese curry sauce try the Goldfish Curry paste in Tesco's. It's as close to the takeaway as you can get.

Cheers Gloom. The small fella had a few chicken chunks and a few chips and he was happy out. He did peer curiously into our bowls but declined to taste!
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    Looks great Mystery. For a nice Chinese curry sauce try the Goldfish Curry paste in Tesco's. It's as close to the takeaway as you can get.

I'll try the Goldfish brand, thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Fakeaway here tonight. Tried my hand at a spice bag.

It was really good but I'd use a better curry sauce in future. The one I used was Dunnes own brand and it was closer to a chipper curry sauce than a Chinese curry sauce. Otherwise, a cheaper, healthier alternative. :)

Lovely looking chips!
    Are they airfried?

(I wish I had space in my pokey apartment for an airfryer :()

Lovely looking chips!
    Are they airfried?

(I wish I had space in my pokey apartment for an airfryer :()

Yes. Lidl's straight cut frozen chips, brief spray of oil, cooked in the air fryer. I only just got one as until very recently I was the same as yourself in terms of space!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Accidentally an Ash Wednesday compatible, if we were Catholic, dinner of fettuccine Alfredo

But we had bacon burgers for lunch :pac:

It seems like a lot of butter to use (but I guess that's why they are so good!).

I actually only used about 50g of butter! I thought 200g sounded reeeally excessive. And I used salted butter, just because I don't normally have unsalted butter.

With the size pot and potatoes I used, they were only about half submerged in the liquid. But you put the lid on, so the steam helps them cook. I decided to flip over each potato mid-way through though, just to make sure they all fully infused with the flavour!

The first time I did them, I used large potatoes and cut them in half. But this time I mainly used very small potatoes (roosters). I actually think the smaller potatoes worked much better!

Oh and yes, peel the potatoes :) A vital step missing from the recipe!

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The butter is the whole point of fondant potatoes. :D

awec wrote: »
    The butter is the whole point of fondant potatoes. :D

I couldn't justify using up half a large block of KerryGold though :o My version was still SUPER tasty though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Salmon pate on brown soda bread with mixed leaves, feta cheese, cucumber, beetroot drizzled in balsamic vinegar.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Hey McMurphy! Where in Aldi are those boned and rolled Lamb legs? I don't usually buy meat in Aldi, but you sold me with those pics.:D

Mmmm, I'm thinking of kebabs when I see that.
    How much did it cost in Aldi?

In my local Aldi, it was among the first of the lamb products you come to coming from the fruit/veg direction (if that makes sense?) It was immediately below, but roughly a space to the left of where the lamb leg steaks were (from memory) you could easily pass it mistaking it for a "housekeepers cut" of beef, I nearly did!

Also from memory, price wise was €13.50ish (no abuse please if this info is wrong lol) which I thought was incredibly good value - it served a few of us for dinner this evening, and there's s good chunk of it left which will do me for a sandwich tomorrow if I can pop home for lunch, and there definitely 100% the making of a saag curry there too. ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There aren't that many lamb products in Aldi so you should find it easily if they have it.

Leg of lamb is seriously delicious. It's the best roast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

john4321 wrote: »
    Beef and Guinness stew perfect for this type of weather.

This was posted a couple of weeks ago, but hey-ho. Looks great, so I remembered it and thought I'd try it soon.

Is it just beef, carrots and peas with a top layer of potatoes? I couldn't see any onion?

Advertisement