Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

We had crispy baked gnocchi, with tomatoes, basil and pine nuts. It wasnt crispy enough, should have baked it a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We had tiktok pasta tonight - it wasn't bad! We added some chicken though.

I have half a block of feta leftover, so I think I'll do this one again next week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

tangy wrote: »
    This was posted a couple of weeks ago, but hey-ho. Looks great, so I remembered it and thought I'd try it soon.

Is it just beef, carrots and peas with a top layer of potatoes? I couldn't see any onion?

I posted a while back on how I make it so hopefully that will help. There is a large brown onion in it but cut small so when it cooks down its hard to see.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116168096&postcount=5347

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

pnPbhdna_o.jpg

The other half of the steak, the other half of the sautéd spuds from the other night, mushrooms and leaf spinach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Chorizo, courgette and cherry tomato risotto with crispy chorizo on top, was delish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Ah, how good is that :)

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Moong Dal Tadka and a naan bread. Simple and hearty deliciousness.

of7OARq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

So, the height of photographic laziness.. This, minus the beans and substitute rashers for the sossies.

Thank you.

But it was equally yummy...

EDIT, just realised there IS a rasher in the photo, so not totally a lie..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cee_jay wrote: »
    We had crispy baked gnocchi, with tomatoes, basil and pine nuts. It wasnt crispy enough, should have baked it a bit longer.

I've never heard of crispy gnocchi.
    Would they ever crisp up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I've tried to pan fry gnocchi before and it was never really successful. I am also intrigued by the baked idea. I assume in an oven?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I've fried them and they were crisp enough. Tried the first lot in the oven and that wasn't so good.

It was a suggestion of Nigella Lawson's called Rapid Roastini, from her Kitchen book. It's not online, but here's a blogger with photos:
    https://www.myfussyeater.com/nigellas-rapid-roastini-fried-gnocchi/

I didn't think they were very interesting, but we had 2 x 500g bags (BOGOF) to get through, and gnocchi even less interesting boiled :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've never heard of crispy gnocchi.
    Would they ever crisp up?

I did them once in the pan and they crisped up. If you toss them in flour and fry them in butter it works.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The plan is to have a chicken stir fry with noodles.

I'm going to have a go with the velveting technique discussed on another thread recently.

https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-velvet-chicken-stir-fry/#wprm-recipe-container-36977

Lee Kum Kee szechuan noodle sauce will also feature.

Well, that's the plan anyway!

Yes they crisp up - we have a terrible oven, the recipe I use says it only takes 25 minutes, but I leave it in for more like 40/45 mins.

https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/crispy-baked-gnocchi-tomatoes/
    This seems to be the recipe I normally use - it just asks for the gnocchi to be put in a bowl of boiling water for 2 mins, then add to the roasting tin - with olive oil. The gnocchi then goes crispy round the edges, not all of them though, especially in the middle. But the crunchy definitely adds to the texture of the dish!

I got the recipe in The Roasting Tin cookbook by Rukmimi Iyer. I have 3 of her cookbooks and find them great for quick, midweek dinner ideas.

Pan fried cod, minty peas and chips.
    Twas nommy !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A ham croisoint. Some tinned corn mixed with tinned bean salad with salad dressing. I feel like I have sinned, but at least i'm not hungry.

cnocbui wrote: »
    A ham croisoint. Some tinned corn mixed with tinned bean salad with salad dressing. I feel like I have sinned, but at least i'm not hungry.

The tinned corn and beans are the foods I live on! No sin. Perfect food, healthy and cheap.

Love savoury pastries too!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The plan is to have a chicken stir fry with noodles.

I'm going to have a go with the velveting technique discussed on another thread recently.

https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-velvet-chicken-stir-fry/#wprm-recipe-container-36977

Lee Kum Kee szechuan noodle sauce will also feature.

Well, that's the plan anyway!

IMG-20210219-220642.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

8h4nqpvl.jpg

It was my cake day yesterday so as a treat my better half got me Sushi! Our local Thai place has just started doing it so it was devoured very very quickly!

I had a Spider Roll, California Roll, Eel Unagi and Gyoza

Not pictured is the Phad Key Mow she had!

It was my cake day yesterday so as a treat my better half got me Sushi! Our local Thai place has just started doing it so it was devoured very very quickly!

I had a Spider Roll, California Roll, Eel Unagi and Gyoza

Not pictured is the Phad Key Mow she had![/quote]

That looks amazing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cooking was an absolute disaster this week. The waste pipe in the kitchen broke and we couldn't use the sink, dishwasher, or washing machine as they all feed into the same pipe!!

I had planned to make Chicken Katsu but it would've been too much work to clean up afterwards. Cleaning dishes in a bathtub is no fun!! :o

Anyway, I had to use up the chicken breasts so I went for a compromise. Chicken curry, rice and chips (frozen!). The curry sauce is the Katsu sauce that I normally make a big batch of and then freeze in bags to use later.
    So I just fried the chicken and added it to the pan I was heating the sauce in. Overall it was a good compromise and the kids loved it!

544372.jpg

544373.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Finished off the rest of the bonded and rolled lamb leg, by making it into a curry, don't know if I'm allowed to call it Saag,v as I added chickpeas for added flavour.

Basmati rice with it, and out of shot was naan bread. It was delicious.

IMG-20210220-173012.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

High calorie evening tonight.. Idris Elba is one uncool cat

@BaZmO*

Could I have your katsu sauce recipe please? Can’t seem to find one I like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Lasagna topped with tomato & butter sauce. Pretty sure the cat got at it when my back was turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

A slow cooked chicken dish with noodles.

Chicken, mushroom and pea risotto. And because I needed wine for the recipe, I had to open a bottle for me to drink for the evening ;) It is my first drink in weeks so really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Meatballs with sautéed potatoes (forgot to buy pasta).
    Sauce i made was way too spicy. Those dried chipotles are deceiving!

Chicken red Thai curry and rice.
    Fair kick off the curry, but few glasses vinho verde makes everything chill.
    No pic cos we were savage hungry.

Trying to decide between bacon and cabbage or takeaway tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Cottage pie. Went down a treat!

Advertisement