Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I honestly dont know what I'd do if someone served me up bacon and cabbage for dinner..
    Besides move it around the plate and eat the potatoes.

Tonight i am having left over chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I honestly dont know what I'd do if someone served me up bacon and cabbage for dinner..
    Besides move it around the plate and eat the potatoes.

Tonight i am having left over chinese

Is it the meat or the cabbage you don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sometimes you're just not in the mood for anything else. I couldn't really be bothered cooking anything else too extravagant this evening.

Kearns sausages
    Skin on fries.
    Beans with curry power cos infant find actual curried beans anywhere anymore.
    Chefs brown sauce.

IMG-20210222-183914.jpg

Recliner wrote: »
    Is it the meat or the cabbage you don't like?

I'd eat ham, And cabbage but not together. Bread/white sauce doesnt do it for me.
    I wasnt reared eating it and its just not a meal that appeals to me whatsoever.

I'd eat ham, And cabbage but not together. Bread/white sauce doesnt do it for me.

The version I got growing up bears no relation to what I cook now. It used to be really salty bacon and then the cabbage boiled to oblivion in the bacon water with floury potatoes (which I hate).
    And white sauce, which I can't stand either. I always make parsley sauce now.
    I know what you mean about not eating certain foods together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The version I got growing up bears no relation to what I cook now. It used to be really salty bacon and then the cabbage boiled to oblivion in the bacon water with floury potatoes (which I hate).
    And white sauce, which I can't stand either. I always make parsley sauce now.
    I know what you mean about not eating certain foods together.

I tend to avoid artichokes with icecream. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Salmon with dilly potatoes and avocado salad. With like cress and nuts and sh*t.

HG5WiFF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

McMurphy wrote: »
    Sometimes you're just not in the mood for anything else. I couldn't really be bothered cooking anything else too extravagant this evening.

Kearns sausages
    Skin on fries.
    Beans with curry power cos infant find actual curried beans anywhere anymore.
    Chefs brown sauce.

Top tip for that dinner. Ditch the curry powder and brown sauce. Replace with Chef curry sauce from the bottle.:D

cnocbui wrote: »
    I tend to avoid artichokes with icecream. ;)

Why, that's one of my favourite things to eat? ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Chicken biryani.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Back in the kitchen today and made a lentil and veg curry, saag aloo and boiled rice. Was really tasty and there's enough for mum and I to have it tomorrow for lunch.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm not a fan of the cabbage of my youth either. It was basically boiled to utter tastelessness, and the bacon was boiled until dry and tough.

I do this cabbage recipe now and it was enjoyed by everyone I serve B&C to.

I also made up a sauce as I wouldn't be mad about bread/parsley sauce:
    1 shallot, chopped and sauteed in butter
    half teasp of turmeric
    half teasp of dijon mustard
    teaspoon of mustard seeds
    tub of creme fraiche, in a pot over a low heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wasn't a fan of bacon and cabbage growing up, either but love it now.

For me, the trick to parsley sauce (which we never had growing up) is to grate carrot, onion and celery, boil this up in the milk with a bayleaf and a sprig of thyme, strain and use this infused milk to make the parsley sauce.
    Much more flavour.
    Also, never use dried parsley for this.

Wasn't a fan of bacon and cabbage growing up, either but love it now.

For me, the trick to parsley sauce (which we never had growing up) is to grate carrot, onion and celery, boil this up in the milk with a bayleaf and a sprig of thyme, strain and use this infused milk to make the parsley sauce.
    Much more flavour.
    Also, never use dried parsley for this.

I like the sound of that sauce. I'll try the next time.

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the cabbage of my youth either. It was basically boiled to utter tastelessness, and the bacon was boiled until dry and tough.

I do this cabbage recipe now and it was enjoyed by everyone I serve B&C to.

I also made up a sauce as I wouldn't be mad about bread/parsley sauce:
    1 shallot, chopped and sauteed in butter
    half teasp of turmeric
    half teasp of dijon mustard
    teaspoon of mustard seeds
    tub of creme fraiche, in a pot over a low heat.

Can't access that link.
    But I just chop the cabbage, rinse, the only water I use is whatever is left on it. Into a deep saute pan with butter, salt and pepper and loads of grated nutmeg. And just cook till it's done to how you like. I just move it around to make sure everything is coated in the butter and seasoning.

We don't boil our bacon anymore either. I either do it in the slow cooker and then slap a glaze on and into the oven. Or just in the oven if I've less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I miss my Mum’s boiled-til-mush cabbage. I’ve never been able to properly recreate it, even using bread soda or whatever.

The philistines here don’t appreciate the cabbage any way so I usually serve it with broccoli. :(

Beer, drop me a PM when you make it next and I'll mosey into the city to try it :D
    if its just boiled bacon..boiled cabbage and packet white sauce no thank you! I'd maybe try it if told it was made somewhat like you do. Bit of love put into it etc

For dinner tonight i am having left over meatballs with that crazy spicy sauce...gonna cool it down though

I miss my Mum’s boiled-til-mush cabbage. I’ve never been able to properly recreate it, even using bread soda or whatever.
    :(

Our almost liquid cabbage was always done in the pressure cooker.
    I thought that I hated cabbage until I learned to cook it myself.
    Both my parents were great cooks and I learned a lot from them and still do some things the same way, others I've changed or tweaked but jaysus, that cabbage. Yeuch!

• Administrators Posts: 53,825 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cooked red cabbage is nicer than the green cabbage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The only way I can eat cabbage is when stir fried with garlic, chilli and soy sauce.

I really am not of this land.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can't access that link.
    But I just chop the cabbage, rinse, the only water I use is whatever is left on it. Into a deep saute pan with butter, salt and pepper and loads of grated nutmeg. And just cook till it's done to how you like. I just move it around to make sure everything is coated in the butter and seasoning.

We don't boil our bacon anymore either. I either do it in the slow cooker and then slap a glaze on and into the oven. Or just in the oven if I've less time.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/buttered-cabbage-241777
    This is another site - if you can't access it, google Darina Allen's Savoy cabbage. You finely shred the cabbage, put a few tablespoons of water, decent knob of butter into the pot, add in the cabbage and basically steam it for about 10 mins or so. Some freshly grated black pepper and you are good to go.

• Administrators Posts: 53,825 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The only way I can eat cabbage is when stir fried with garlic, chilli and soy sauce.

I really am not of this land.

I think most would admit that plain boiled cabbage is just a watery bland pile of nothingness with a crappy texture.

Another thing, I always use sweetheart (hispi) cabbage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

vegan sushi platter + Mochi.

IplhnGVl.jpg

PqMT2RTl.jpg

qp8aEOYl.jpg

Another thing, I always use sweetheart (hispi) cabbage.

Yes, my favourite cabbage.
    A bit of lemon zest and/or garlic is lovely, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Our almost liquid cabbage was always done in the pressure cooker.
    I thought that I hated cabbage until I learned to cook it myself.
    Both my parents were great cooks and I learned a lot from them and still do some things the same way, others I've changed or tweaked but jaysus, that cabbage. Yeuch!

The sound of that hissing away when you got in the door was heaven!

Meant to be roast chicken but then realised that McDonalds had reopened for takeaway.
    So Big Mac, nuggets, fries for us.
    Tasted unreal but I know I'll be hungry in a bit so I'm roasting the chuck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

vegan sushi platter + Mochi.

I love peanut mochi! Unfortunately, the nearest store is way more than 5 km away... :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shenshen wrote: »
    I love peanut mochi! Unfortunately, the nearest store is way more than 5 km away... :(

One of them is peanut and it was amazing. The person making the above food has been doing so for over 35 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The philistines here don’t appreciate the cabbage any way so I usually serve it with broccoli. :(

I'm a just before it turns to mush type. :D My mother wasn't much of a cook, but made cabbage the way her mother (who was a great cook) taught her.

This is my way these days. Chop it up finely with a good mix of colour. Boil it to high heaven in a pot for about 30 mins. Drain and chop it even more then add butter and pepper and mix further. It gives a decent mix of colour, softness and a little bit of crunch with a buttery/pepper feel that offsets the hardcore cabbage taste. The bacon I always do in the oven. Served up with mash and a drop of whatever sauce, it still makes me feel good.:D I'm the only one in the house that enjoys the complete "experience".:) I cook and freeze the cabbage, so there's no waste. Basic and tasty. Sad to see it fade out of existence.

IMG-20201118-175016.jpg

Advertisement