Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Fish and chips here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Parmesan Chicken and pasta, made by my son Tommy.

PHOTO-20210223-173702.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

I made a lovely pork stir fry with noodles washed down with my trusty prosecco lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had meatballs with onion gravy, mash and frozen peas tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Fish tacos with the usual toppings, made a lime crema for the first time which was lovely I must say

IMG-20210223-195816.jpg

• Advertisement

Ooh fish tacos. Very fancy. Never thought of doing that before. You're giving me ideas. Looks very nice. Thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Ooh fish tacos. Very fancy. Never thought of doing that before. You're giving me ideas. Looks very nice. Thankyou.

I used this recipe (Sub regular all purpose flour for the cake flour with a teaspoon of cornflour) for the fish came out lovely and flakey with the fish nice and tender

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/crispy-fried-fish-tacos-recipe.html

Thanks very much for the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Comerman wrote: »
    Parmesan Chicken and pasta, made by my son.

That looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Striploin steak with garlic spuds, mushrooms and onions and because of more announcements I opened a bottle of red!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Recliner wrote: »
    Can't access that link.
    But I just chop the cabbage, rinse, the only water I use is whatever is left on it. Into a deep saute pan with butter, salt and pepper and loads of grated nutmeg. And just cook till it's done to how you like. I just move it around to make sure everything is coated in the butter and seasoning.

Same method here but without the nutmeg, must give that a go next time.

PARlance wrote: »
    Same method here but without the nutmeg, must give that a go next time.

I love nutmeg on any green veg, sprouts, broccoli whatever.
    But definitely buy whole nutmeg and grate it yourself using the finest grater you can find.
    I use a very fine rasp grater, at least that's what I call it.

Edit: just looked it up, it's called a microplane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

But definitely buy whole nutmeg and grate it yourself using the finest grater you can find.

Interesting. It's a spice I have in my cupboard that I've never found any use for. There must be some applications!

I had a hot chocolate the other day and could have sworn there was nutmeg in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't think you need any special gadgets at all. I just use a sharp knife and very shallowly shave a nut as if gently sharpening a pencil. Then just use the knife to chop the shavings as with anything like garlic or ginger. It takes very little time and effort to get to a fine powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Interesting. It's a spice I have in my cupboard that I've never found any use for. There must be some applications!

I had a hot chocolate the other day and could have sworn there was nutmeg in it.

It the thyme and the pepper are the vital ingredients in the creamed mushroom and bacon thing I posted a couple of weeks back, which is super easy and simple to make.

J Mysterio wrote: »

I use it when making Bechamel sauce and also if I'm making Macaroni cheese.

It's definitely one of my favourite spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday, for some reason a dish that I haven't cooked in, I'd say, over 15 years, popped into my head..
    I cooked it a few times back then but then the dish got kinda lost. Somehow I remembered it very clearly and decided to recreate it. It was good.

So, it's basically a chicken stew/hotpot, topped with sliced potatoes.

Chicken thighs, well browned. Onion, garlic, celery, leek, carrot, chopped and sauteed.
    Chicken back in on top of veg. A half a cup of soaked green lentils. Glass of white wine. Fresh herbs (thyme and sage). Good pinch of saffron. A punnet of cherry tomatoes and topped with sliced potatoes, brushed with oil or butter.

Hot oven for 45 mins to an hour to cook and nicely brown the spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yip, I love it with broccoli and spinach but just never thought of adding it to cabbage. I definitely give it a go next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Simple and quick mid-week dinner - pasta with mushrooms and broccoli. The sauce is a really easy cheat : Fry up sliced mushrooms and a finely chopped onion. Once they're done, add a generous 2 tablespoons of garlic and herb cream cheese, and enough veg stock to make a smooth and creamy sauce. Add your boiled pasta and broccoli, and maybe some chopped herbs you fancy.
    Takes all of 20 minutes, including washing up.

544822.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Yesterday, for some reason a dish that I haven't cooked in, I'd say, over 15 years, popped into my head..
    I cooked it a few times back then but then the dish got kinda lost. Somehow I remembered it very clearly and decided to recreate it. It was good.

So, it's basically a chicken stew/hotpot, topped with sliced potatoes.

Chicken thighs, well browned. Onion, garlic, celery, leek, carrot, chopped and sauteed.
    Chicken back in on top of veg. A half a cup of soaked green lentils. Glass of white wine. Fresh herbs (thyme and sage). Good pinch of saffron. A punnet of cherry tomatoes and topped with sliced potatoes, brushed with oil or butter.

Hot oven for 45 mins to an hour to cook and nicely brown the spuds.

That sounds lovely, do you add any water / stock or is the glass of wine enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

We had this pork and parsnip tray bake, but with a mix of carrots and parsnips.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pork-parsnip-traybake

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ellejay wrote: »
    That sounds lovely, do you add any water / stock or is the glass of wine enough.

Bit of water with the lentils, too.
    If you use thighs on the bone, there's no need for stock and it needs less liquid than you might imagine as the meat, and veg, especially the tomatoes, release a lot of moisture and the potatoes keep the steam in, mostly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had chilli, lemon and ginger spatchcocked chicken with skin on fries and corn on the cob.

20210224-192156.jpg

Such appetizing food photos. Presentation is not my best.

I made myself a homemade burger this evening with coleslaw and salad today. Was very nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had fillet steak medium rare, mash, veg and home made pepper sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Chili beef nachos for me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

First attempt at fondant potatoes after inspiration from this thread.

544864.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Nutmeg goes really in slow cooked meat sauces like Ragu. Just need to be careful not to use too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

cee_jay wrote:
    This seems to be the recipe I normally use - it just asks for the gnocchi to be put in a bowl of boiling water for 2 mins, then add to the roasting tin - with olive oil. The gnocchi then goes crispy round the edges, not all of them though, especially in the middle. But the crunchy definitely adds to the texture of the dish!

awec wrote:
    I had never had bacon and cabbage until I met my wife in my 20s. Just isn't a thing for us nordies.

awec wrote:
    The first time she said bacon and cabbage to me I thought she meant like streaky bacon and cabbage mixed together and I was really confused cause it sounded ****e.

I just moved to donegal and I said to my partner will his daughter have rashers! He lolled and said she won't have a clue what you are offering her 😅😅😅 say bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Vegetable red curry and rice. A bit mild for my liking and no meat, but tasty none the less.
    Last time I tried this I left it out overnight to cool and I think something happened as the kitchen sink of sourness in the morning.
    Anyhow this one is good. Peppers, onion, butternut, sweet potato, broccoli, coconut cream and milk, plus curry paste.

Sorry don't know how to make it appear automatically.

Advertisement