Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Looking back, it doesn't look as appetising as most other photos, but I'm not really into cooking much. Any ideas on how to spruce it up appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Chicken rendang.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Spaghetti bolognese tonight, hadn't made it in ages!

544945.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Fancied some fish pie last night but as no one else will eat any seafood beside cod/white fish I made cottage pie also. Did the meat in the instant pot. Still getting used to being able to cook stewing meat in 15 minutes so it's falling apart versus simmering for hours.

Mixed seafood pie turned out well though I'll just go with juice of half a lemon next time. I'll try it with just cod too so the rest might eat it. They did polish of the cottage pie at least.

Forgot to take a pic at the end so halfway point will have to do!
    One each for freezer to.
    544941.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Roast pork shoulder, roast potatoes, carrots and baby sprouts, with apple sauce and gravy. Delicious but totally wrong for the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I haven't had any takeaway in months!

Chinese-takeaway.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Shin beef stew. I hadn't made it at all this winter and I really enjoyed it.

20210225-183945.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I had a pie for one from centra's inspire(?) Range.
    Beef in a red wine with mushroom and smoked bacon.
    Now it could have done with at least another mushroom and a smidge more filling but it was nice! Beef was good.
    I had some honey roasted carrots with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

I also had pie. Steak and Kidney with creamy mash potatoes, peas, broccoli and carrots. Was very nice. No prosecco this evening lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pie of sorts here, too.
    My vegie cottage pie or "pottage pie".

The base is mainly finely diced aubergine and green lentils.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looking back, it doesn't look as appetising as most other photos, but I'm not really into cooking much. Any ideas on how to spruce it up appreciated!

Garnishes!

Fresh coriander, fresh sliced chillies, toasted and crushed nuts, quick pickled onion, squeeze of lime juice... Loads of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Sorry don't know how to make it appear automatically.

Just on this, if you go to https://postimages.org/ you can upload it there (resize for message boards as phone pictures can come out massive) and then select the hotlink for forums which can be copied directly into your post
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Ryath wrote: »
    Fancied some fish pie last night but as no one else will eat any seafood beside cod/white fish I made cottage pie also. Did the meat in the instant pot. Still getting used to being able to cook stewing meat in 15 minutes so it's falling apart versus simmering for hours.

Mixed seafood pie turned out well though I'll just go with juice of half a lemon next time. I'll try it with just cod too so the rest might eat it. They did polish of the cottage pie at least.

Forgot to take a pic at the end so halfway point will have to do!
    One each for freezer to.

Whats an instant pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Basically a countertop pressure cooker with a few more functions like saute, yoghurt making etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Roast leg of lamb, roast baby potatoes and cauliflower cheese here for us this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Decided to raid the freezer and have leftover turkey curry from Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

awec wrote: »
    I think most would admit that plain boiled cabbage is just a watery bland pile of nothingness with a crappy texture.

Hai, I love cabbage!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

I know this is a what I had for dinner forum but is there much of a benefit to own both a slow cooker and an instant pot ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well, my first ever attempt at pressing tofu was a disaster.

Applying a weight like my mortar and pestle, kept on falling off.

I was impatient, and applying pressure by pushing made my tofu collapse into bits.

Undeterred, I have stir fried tofu crumble with broccoli and mushroom on the go.

Never give up.

• Advertisement

angela1711 wrote: »
    I know this is a what I had for dinner forum but is there much of a benefit to own both a slow cooker and an instant pot ??

Hi Angela. The best place for this question is the general chat thread. But to answer you - no point in having both because the instant pot has a slow cooker function. The only benefit to having both would be if you are regularly cooking for very large numbers it could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Chickpea and cauliflower curry with rice.

It was meant to be chickpea curry with cauliflower rice. I bought a pretty large cauliflower with the leaves tightly wrapped. After much peeling I was left with the smallest, most pristine cauliflower I’ve ever seen. Definitely not enough to make rice for two. So the cauliflower, what there was of it, went into the curry and I made some rice to go with it.

Carnitas. It was great but the "ripe and ready" avocados which I bought for the guac last Sunday were still rock hard and impossible to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

I got a pizza made up behind the counter at Dunnes Stores today and popped it in the oven. Was cheaper and better than a takeaway. Yes it had pineapple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chipper tonight. I had chicken tenders, chips and curry sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

I've developed a bit of a liking for dried pasta and sauces. You know like Knorr pasta parmesan. 500ml of boiling water in a saucepan and cook for 5 mins.
    I know it's not related to anything even remotely culinary but I go through phases of these things. Remind me of college days, these and those 20c packs of noodles.
    I'm sure I'll get over it soon.
    So yeah, that was my dinner tonight.
    Please don't forum ban me.
    (hanging my head in shame)

Recliner wrote: »
    I've developed a bit of a liking for dried pasta and sauces. You know like Knorr pasta parmesan. 500ml of boiling water in a saucepan and cook for 5 mins.
    I know it's not related to anything even remotely culinary but I go through phases of these things. Remind me of college days, these and those 20c packs of noodles.
    I'm sure I'll get over it soon.
    So yeah, that was my dinner tonight.
    Please don't forum ban me.
    (hanging my head in shame)

Depends on the sauce. I'll reserve judgement.

Carnitas. It was great but the "ripe and ready" avocados which I bought for the guac last Sunday were still rock hard and impossible to use.

Take them to bed with you. I used to get my daughter to hatch mangos that way. Solved the problem of the blighters going bad before they ripened.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Breaded Cod, creamed potatoes, carrots, parsnip, suede & coleslaw Total cost ~€1.40

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Take them to bed with you. I used to get my daughter to hatch mangos that way. Solved the problem of the blighters going bad before they ripened.

Explain please!

I've put them with the bananas.

Advertisement