Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That sounds absolutely amazing Shenshen! Add wine and seitan to all the things!

We had Venezuelan food, Arepas. Vegan perico/melted cheese fillings, were so great.

kBJSAdul.jpg

Arepas recipe:

Perico recipe:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

That sounds absolutely amazing Shenshen! Add wine and seitan to all the things!

We had Venezuelan food, Arepas. Vegan perico/melted cheese fillings, were so great.

I've got friends from Venezuela who made these for us once - my favourite filling was black bean stew. Utterly delicious they are :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Worked in Colombia for 9 months in 2011
    Omg arepas were amazing,wish we could get them over here
    And fried plantains I'd murder ye for them right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

brinty wrote: »
    Worked in Colombia for 9 months in 2011
    Omg arepas were amazing,wish we could get them over here
    And fried plantains I'd murder ye for them right now

Plantains are widely available here these days. Just head for any or the Asian spice shops, they generally have them.

Eurasia in fonthill have lots

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Lemon & chilli ramen noodles on Friday.
    Whole roast duck, shredded with sticky rice & warm salad of pok choi, cucumber & sugarsnaps with chilli & pickled ginger ponzu on Saturday.
    Tonight was slow roast beef, roast spuds, peas & cauliflower cheese.

Where did you get the whole duck? All I see in any supermarkets are filleted breasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Tonight is spaghetti bolognaise, have chopped onions&peppers and prepared the sauce- Passata, sugar, lemon, chilli powder, paprika, basil, garlic powder and salt.

Can't wait :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

When I was back in Dublin in December I bought a 3.2kg piece of rolled rib roast, vac-packed it and brought it to the UK and froze it.

Yesterday we had a lunch for ten at our house and I finally cooked the piece of beef. I slathered it in a mustardy paste and roasted for around 3 hours on a fairly low heat until the middle was 61 degrees Celsius. After resting for 30 minutes, what we had was truly melt in the mouth meat, beautifully pink throughout. It cut like butter. Plenty leftover for sandwiches and dinner this week, too.

Served with slow cooked carrots (in a syrup of orange juice, brown sugar, salt, pepper and cinnamon, and topped with fresh parsley), steamed broccoli, buttery mash and gravy. Dessert was oozey brownies and treacle carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frosting. All washed down with plenty of booze. A triumph!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

When I was back in Dublin in December I bought a 3.2kg piece of rolled rib roast, vac-packed it and brought it to the UK and froze it.

Yesterday we had a lunch for ten at our house and I finally cooked the piece of beef. I slathered it in a mustardy paste and roasted for around 3 hours on a fairly low heat until the middle was 61 degrees Celsius. After resting for 30 minutes, what we had was truly melt in the mouth meat, beautifully pink throughout. It cut like butter. Plenty leftover for sandwiches and dinner this week, too.

Served with slow cooked carrots (in a syrup of orange juice, brown sugar, salt, pepper and cinnamon, and topped with fresh parsley), steamed broccoli, buttery mash and gravy. Dessert was oozey brownies and treacle carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frosting. All washed down with plenty of booze. A triumph!

I have to thank that twice.

Thanks!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken curry tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Chicken curry tonight :)

Ditto! Used the slimming world recipe- it's gorgeous!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

A lazy dinner of homemade soup and wraps with brie, homemade chutney and honey baked ham. Quick and tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Even though I'm vegetarian,I always browse this forum for recipes I can adapt, thanks folks.

But I'm absolutely loving the veggie/vegan recipes posted here recently, I know there's a seperate thread for 'us', but it's not very active.
    My husband (not a veggie) is an incredible chef, he creates the most delicious meat free meals for both of us. Unfortunately I'm just a young wan...a.k.a newbie, so can't yet post pictures.
    But I'll be back....

Keep up the great work food lovers. Ye're a grand bunch of lads...and ladies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

connollys wrote: »
    Where did you get the whole duck? All I see in any supermarkets are filleted breasts

SuperValu in Skerries. €12.95 I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Even though I'm vegetarian,I always browse this forum for recipes I can adapt, thanks folks.

But I'm absolutely loving the veggie/vegan recipes posted here recently, I know there's a seperate thread for 'us', but it's not very active.
    My husband (not a veggie) is an incredible chef, he creates the most delicious meat free meals for both of us. Unfortunately I'm just a young wan...a.k.a newbie, so can't yet post pictures.
    But I'll be back....

Keep up the great work food lovers. Ye're a grand bunch of lads...and ladies. ;)

Welcome :)
    I love ALL the dinners, with or without meat, and I look forward to seeing your hubby's creations.

Mr Shen had bought some of Aldi's stuffed pasta, not the fresh stuff but the semi-dried pasta in the vacuum packs. I don't particularly like these, they always taste stale and dusty to me, so I decided to hide them in a massive pasta bake.

Red peppers, mushrooms, carrots, spring onions, peas, sweetcorn and a cheesy bechamel sauce with a spoonful of tomato puree and some smoke paprika stirred in.
    And under all of that, I could still taste the stupid stale stuffed pasta :(

He's received instructions not to buy those again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Last night was an all Aldi dinner made up of rib eye steaks with sauted chestnut mushrooms, frozen sweet potato fries cooked nice and crisp in the air fryer and washed down with a bottle of Aldi's own label Cotes du Rhone Villages which at €6 a bottle is a serious bargain.

As you may have guessed I'm a big fan of Aldi, a big fan of the Air Fryer and a big fan of value for money. A super steak dinner for two, prepared and cooked in 20 minutes including wine for €20.

Where would you be goin..........

I'm a massive Aldi fan too! And actually all my dinners I've ever posted about on here have 99% of the time been from Aldi... but didn't think i need mention...I only go out of my way to get something elsewhere if it's something I really like, such as chef sauce or something small like that... I love all food/meat/ fruit/veg from Aldi and didn't think we need to mention what shop our dinner was bought in! Although I do go to Dunnes for the biggest head of cabbage :D.

As i've heard from lots before.. and i'm starting to really believe that it's all the same food everywhere most of the time just different boxes and prices. Especially today when my strawberry yoghurt from aldi tasted exactly like petit flous..

Todays dinner is yes ALDI chicken wings (11 for 2 euro!) marinaded in tomato puree, paprika, garlic, pepper, cider vinegar and cumin left in fridge for a few hours, along with homemade mexican rice, and a few homemade chips..

Mexican rice is so yummy and so easy... loose rice (wont work with rice in a bag) , chopped onion, tomato puree, garlic powder and you're off! beautiful tasty orange rice...

#GetYourWeeklyShopfor60QuidYayForAldi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

A hodge podge dinner of whatever's left in the fridge. I'm distance learning in the evenings so dinner on Tuesday and Thursday has to be something I can just fire in the oven. Tonight was a roasting tray with wedges of sweet potato, red pepper and half a head of brocolli. Had it with some fried fresh prawns in butter and garlic. Worked well enough to satisfy the hunger but I'm looking forward to my weekly shop tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We had a warm chicken, roasted pepper and pineapple salad. It was amazing, served with egg mayo, Greek salad and potato salad. My 3 year old had 4 portions of egg mayo and 2 Greek salad! She's been sick recently and is finally bouncing back and craving protein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MS Brinty made Sheppard's pie
    Nom nom nom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm a massive Aldi fan too! And actually all my dinners I've ever posted about on here have 99% of the time been from Aldi... but didn't think i need mention...I only go out of my way to get something elsewhere if it's something I really like, such as chef sauce or something small like that... I love all food/meat/ fruit/veg from Aldi and didn't think we need to mention what shop our dinner was bought in! Although I do go to Dunnes for the biggest head of cabbage :D.

You are of course correct, there's no need whatsoever to mention/promote the supermarket/shop we source our food from but a) I think it may help some people who want to copy a particular recipe and b) despite using Aldi for 95% of our groceries (and the odd angle grinder/chain saw!!) for over 5 years I still can't believe the value for money it represents e.g. 4 Thai fishcakes, a bag of rocket salad and a tub of five bean salad for dinner this evening for €8.50. It's unbelievable Jeff!!! (OK, no more promoting Aldo from me, I promise!!)
    Todays dinner is yes ALDI chicken wings (11 for 2 euro!)
    OK, I'm calling you out on this. We like to have chicken wings at least once a week and I always have to call into Tesco for them as my local (Sandyford) Aldi NEVER has wings any more. Last time I got them there was well before Xmas :( What Aldi do you use and are the wings a regular item there?
    Todays dinner is yes ALDI chicken wings (11 for 2 euro!) marinaded in tomato puree, paprika, garlic, pepper, cider vinegar and cumin left in fridge for a few hours
    Sounds like an interesting marinade. Once done marinading do you just whack them in the oven or air fryer????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Tried Sainburys new grated vegan cheese on homemade pizza. It melted a little too well and was almost like cheese sauce! Made a delicious mess though :) With mushrooms and fake pepperonis.

Pizza_zpspqckldrk.jpg

Tried Sainburys new grated vegan cheese on homemade pizza. It melted a little too well and was almost like cheese sauce! Made a delicious mess though :) With mushrooms and fake pepperonis.

Damn, now I want pizza for tea. But I won't have enough time to make pizza tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Turkey steak, wilted spinach, mushrooms, crispy onions, and roasted garlic potatoes and broccoli.

For dessert we had a rolo brownie.

It had to be really quick and simple, so I just made some egg fried rice and baked up some frozen spring rolls.

Tasty... but what I really wanted was some homemade pizza. But that'll have to wait till the weekend.

Je suis jean I don't know how to quote on boards via phone.. Yes I'm all for aldi too despite shopping there years.. Every time I go there I'm baffled aha; I use aldi in Waterford I'm afraid so Im sure a Dublin aldi runs out faster! ...

The marinade yes interesting indeed but better on regular chicken fillets (fried) I think. Chicken wings were juicy and tasty enough with salt and pepper rather than a whole marinade - or else I just didn't use enough. I chilled for couple of hours (the wings!!) Then cooked in oven for half hour nothing special!! They were pretty tasty all the while... And the Waterford cork road aldi yes I'm sure they have wings constantly

Tonights dinner I haven't even planned yet. A real late one, maybe a creamy mushroom chicken and brocolli pasta???... Or a mini fried chicken mash veg gravy dinner..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Meatloaf, Mash and Mushy Peas! Common as muck but real comfort food.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had prawns tonight in garlic and chilli, with a dressed tomato salad and some bread, and a dish of crudites because we are just struggling getting vegetables into ourselves at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Lamb shank slow cooked all day. Meat fell off with a touch of a fork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last evening; home made vegetable soup... Got a half price bag of chopped up vegetables in our upmarket Supervalu and added 2 small sweet potatoes. Blizted when cooked and sliced mature cheddar into the bowl... very comforting... froze three large portions too.

Advertisement