Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

extra virgin olive oil, a really nice balsamic vinegar, buffalo mozza, vine tomatoes, basil and some crusty grainy brown bread... divine (but only in sunshine for me)..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Red lentil dhal. It's becoming my "only cooking for myself" meal if I want something quick and easy.

Vj2NaaE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Some fantastic dishes but id be hungry after an hour looking at some of the portion sizes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

raclle wrote: »
    Some fantastic dishes but id be hungry after an hour looking at some of the portion sizes :D

You do know that you don't have to put the days worth food on your plate, all at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Another inspiration I got from this thread.

548374.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Fajitas! Including homemade salsa. So fresh!

I was nearly losing the plot in the supermarket though, because they didn't have ANY peppers at all and no red chillis. Had to settle for green chillis and decided to try babycorn instead of pepper. When we got home though, I actually realised I had a good chunk of pepper left over from a recipe last week. Crisis averted :P Still decided to throw in some of the babycorn though and I'm going to attempt to freeze the rest for a stir fry or curry sometime.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Fajitas! Including homemade salsa. So fresh!

I was nearly losing the plot in the supermarket though, because they didn't have ANY peppers at all and no red chillis. Had to settle for green chillis and decided to try babycorn instead of pepper. When we got home though, I actually realised I had a good chunk of pepper left over from a recipe last week. Crisis averted :P Still decided to throw in some of the babycorn though and I'm going to attempt to freeze the rest for a stir fry or curry sometime.

Can I ask what else do you add in with the chicken and veg? Looks so tasty.

john4321 wrote: »
    Can I ask what else do you add in with the chicken and veg? Looks so tasty.

No problem, this is the recipe I use (doesn't include the homemade salsa though):
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-chicken-fajitas

It is super tasty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Roast chicken, roast potatoes, carrots, stuffing and frozen sprouts.
    Sprouts cooked off in boiling water and then pan cooked in loads of butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
    They were actually so tasty but couldn't persuade himself to try them
    He loves fresh sprouts but won't entertain frozen at all.

No problem, this is the recipe I use (doesn't include the homemade salsa though):
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-chicken-fajitas

It is super tasty :)

Thanks appreciate that. I will give it a go during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Takeaway! Pizza, wedges, garlic mushrooms. And a big jug of margaritas. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Swedish meatballs with mash and broccoli.
    I've never had these in Ikea, and went without the jam on top as I wasn't too sure how that works, and it was lovely without. I used the Jamie Oliver recipe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Don't be afraid of the jam. Just serve it beside the meat, a heaped teaspoon, and eat it the way you would eat cranberry sauce with turkey at Christmas. It adds an extra dimension of deliciousness.

Our dinner tonight was lots of bits and pieces. Prawns with garlic, chilli and olive oil. Salad with mixed leaves, charred asparagus, avocado, cucumber and pomegranate, with a lime and honey dressing. Hummus. Flatbread with red onions and cheese (this was an Aldi product and it was actually gack). Tomato salad with balsamic vinegar. Crackers. Strawberries.

I wish I had just toasted slices of a nice crusty loaf instead of buying that flatbread. If I had, it would have been perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had roast beef tonight.

20210328-190405.jpg

Medium-rare steak, with fried onion, mash, peas and pepper sauce.

We fry the onions in coconut oil for extra tastiness!

We had roast beef tonight.

I hope I'm not the only one imaging poring gravy all over that. Looks delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Steak, potato wedges, lettuce salad and garlic mushrooms. Not a relaxing meal because I was cooking steaks on the charcoal grill while it was raining. I hate when that happens but it's preferable to smoking up the kitchen with griddle pan. MIL (who is part of our bubble) did rhubarb pie and I did some homemade custard. I'm stuffed now.

cee_jay wrote: »
    Swedish meatballs with mash and broccoli.
    I've never had these in Ikea, and went without the jam on top as I wasn't too sure how that works, and it was lovely without. I used the Jamie Oliver recipe.

what jam?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Today is this week’s pizza night

Pizza with pepperoni and bacon; pizza with speck, cherry tomatoes, rocket and Parmesan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

sporina wrote: »
    what jam?

It's cranberry sauce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's cranberry sauce?

Lingonberry jam.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Steak, Roasties, Pepper Sauce and a lovely Rioja!

Today is this week’s pizza night

Pizza with pepperoni and bacon; pizza with speck, cherry tomatoes, rocket and Parmesan

hmm love speck

sporina wrote: »
    what jam?

The recipe called for "1 x 200g jar of lingon berry, cranberry, blackberry or blackcurrant jam, to serve" - I didn't have lingon berry, but there is some cranberry in the fridge after Christmas, and have some blackberry jam there for toast.
    I don't like cranberry on turkey personally, and always go without!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

cee_jay wrote: »
    The recipe called for "1 x 200g jar of lingon berry, cranberry, blackberry or blackcurrant jam, to serve" - I didn't have lingon berry, but there is some cranberry in the fridge after Christmas, and have some blackberry jam there for toast.
    I don't like cranberry on turkey personally, and always go without!

Big fan of Swedish meatballs but have never been able to find lingonberry. Usually make a cranberry sauce with them (frozen cranberries, orange juice and sugar).

It sounds like it shouldn't work but it's traditional to serve it with pickled cucumber... This is the video that got me hooked on them, recipe/method about 4 mins in.

https://youtu.be/JViMCRQ4f44

They're on the menu this week, made a batch of pickled cucumber at the weekend for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Saturday, we had pizzas. I tried a slow-rise dough this time, preparing it on Friday and leaving it to rise in the fridge. Worked rather well, I thought.

548570.jpg

And Sunday, we had vegetable and tofu satay with rice. Quick and simple, with plenty of sriracha :D

548571.jpg

We got a new gas bbq last week, and finally got a good day to try it out this evening. It wasn't planned, so just went with a mish mash of ingredients from the fridge. Lamb cutlets, roasted peppers and baby potatoes with bbq corn and spring onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gas grilled striploin in olive oil toasted ciabattas with cart onions and cheese. Bit of a stylistic but delicious mess; all caused by a midday decision that it'd be outdoor cooking weather for dinner.

Temperature remained fine, wind was not cooperative but we got there!

Vietnamese caramelised pork bowls, with a side of broccoli with an oriental dressing.

Side note: must buy a barbeque...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Vietnamese caramelised pork bowls, with a side of broccoli with an oriental dressing.

Side note: must buy a barbeque...

That looks amazing

Advertisement