Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sweet Beat in Sligo, pretty amazing tbh!

HAH9Lp9l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

have a slow cook beef rendang on for 4 hours,serving with rice and although not Malaysian i like garlic naan with it, i always heat my naan on the cheap 20 euro crepe pan (electric) , sprinkle a few drop of water on it, spread a bit xtra garlic butter on throw on the crepe plate 2 mins each side,always feels so moist and fresh ..cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Pork cheeks/chorizo/shallots/tomatoes/smoked paprika inna slow cooker. Added a jar of Lidl's Greek Week large butter beans about an hour before serving.

Tonight: Friday night is junk food night, so sossidges/oven chips/black pudding/onion rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Homemade chilli, rice and tortilla chips, yum yum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made katsu curry sauce for the first time tonight and had it with M&S breaded chicken fillets, rice and salad leaves.

dnefc9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Had the in-laws for dinner today.

No.prizes for guessing what I went with.

Served with mash, everyone thoroughly enjoyed the dinner put in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Had the in-laws for dinner today.

No.prizes for guessing what I went with.

Served with mash, everyone thoroughly enjoyed the dinner put in front of them.

Your some man for the pies Alf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Your some man for the pies Alf!

Ah not really, I reckon I've made them (pies) about 5 times between Christmas and yesterday. My parent in laws were having dinner in ours yesterday, and it made a nice change from the usual (curry/chilli/stirfrys etc)

I made "big pies" for the father in law and myself, in ramekin dishes, the two ladies got smaller pies in the enamel dishes.

Ours were steak with onion, carrots , grated courgette with gravy, and a spoonful of Dijon mustard stirred in.

My wife's was the same, but with Quorn mince.

I found out yesterday that the pies made in ramekin dishes are filling, and i mean extremely filling. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Huge potato croquettes packed with veg and cheese (and salmon for the two gentlemen) with coleslaw and salad.

I absolutely love my airfryer. I've never been able to do croquettes successfully before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Greek inspired pork chops with rosemary roasted potatoes. Really nice way to cook the chops as they were so tender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Mushroom Stroganoff (the real thing, with sour cream, pickled gherkins, little silver onions, paprika and a good glugg of brandy) with rice.

For the 2nd day in a row. And I'll have it again tonight. We're working late every day to close this quarter and I had to pre-cook to bring dinners to work with me... I really, really love my version of Stroganoff, but I might be a bit fed up with it come tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Too exhausted with the gale to eat... Maybe if a plate were put in front of me.. been awake most of last night and all today..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Baked salmon with stem ginger, honey, soy & chillies on Saturday.
    Lamb fillet with roast spuds, peas & French beans on Sunday.
    Mrs B's spag bol last night & again tomorrow.
    Pancakes tonight! (Butter, lemon & sugar ftw!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Made some red lentil dal, delicious! When I say some...there's litres of the stuff. Tastes better today after it's sat for the night and thickened a bit.

H5SHyyDl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

As recommended here several times, Jamie's Lentil Chilli

0A29472C-DFD9-4881-BA68-B5F2F0CDCB39_zps4pqhwzax.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Madras from work. The chef made it a bit extra spicy! Lots of milk now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Am I the only person that when I see 'Madras' I think "Those poor dogs" :D

LOL

Am I silly for saying this.. where do I get 'Risotto ' Rice or how do i seperate it from normal rice. I can't make a risotto with normal rice can i?..

Going to tesco on my way home so would tesco be any good?

You will find "Arborio Risotto" rice in supermarkets, including Tesco.
    If you see Carnaroli or Vialone Nano anywhere they are good too but Arborio is most common.

If you want something a bit different you can use pearl barley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Am I silly for saying this.. where do I get 'Risotto ' Rice or how do i seperate it from normal rice. I can't make a risotto with normal rice can i?..

I have made risotto with normal rice before, but it doesn't turn out as nice and thick.

I have been know to make it with pudding rice when I ran out of Arborio - that does actually work :D

My tesco must be a dump :( they had so many types of rice. No arborio or pearl barley or any substitute... Got brown rice instead. Going to try do a mushroom risotto with brocoli and white wine vinegar.. First attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Paella rice is also good. It also doesn't need as much stirring as Risotto rice. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I thought I was mad earlier, paying 20 quid for 4 huge salmon darnes. Did them in an electric steamer with spuds and carrots. I'd have eaten another portion. Amazing.

Trying out a slow cooker chicken balti tomorrow. The nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

beertons wrote: »
    I thought I was mad earlier, paying 20 quid for 4 huge salmon darnes. Did them in an electric steamer with spuds and carrots. I'd have eaten another portion. Amazing.

Trying out a slow cooker chicken balti tomorrow. The nerves.

Nerves??

The slow cooker is putting us hands on cooks in the history books.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My tesco must be a dump they had so many types of rice. No arborio or pearl barley or any substitute... Got brown rice instead. Going to try do a mushroom risotto with brocoli and white wine vinegar.. First attempt.

Brown rice absolutely will not work in a risotto. It doesn't have the starch content. Save it for something else.

Yeah it was a fail. Had chicken katsu curry instead and that was gorgeous! Want risotto soon though..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah it was a fail. Had chicken katsu curry instead and that was gorgeous! Want risotto soon though..

Tesco usually have the Arborio/carnaroli in their "ingredients" section as opposed to in with the rest of the rice. So, in with all their own-brand pantry stuff, which is in its own section, usually at the top of the "ethnic" aisle.

Agh no way, and I was actually reading boards while searching the rice section yesterday, and presumed I was in the right section with all the spaghetti, sauces etc...

I'll have another look today.. going to the same tesco to buy spaghetti, passata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ive said it before but it's worth repeating. I love my airfryer. For the likes of patties, potato cakes etc it's amazing.

My very fussy two year old is currently eating a salmon and veg potato cake. It's like all the nutrients of the day rolled into one little package.
    I have got some falafel mixed and rolled for later today which I'll also do in it.

Dartboardio - you have me wanting to try make risotto now. I've never made it before.

Advertisement