Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Pork chops and veggies in the gas bbq

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Back to calorie counting tomorrow so decided to enjoy myself. Steak sandwich with fried onions, mushroom sauce. Yes, before you ask, it was indeed messy.

yEXD4Ri.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

What I had in the house ( Not going out again and I'm broke until tomorrow anyway)
    3 doubious ? Rooster potatoes, half a bag of frozen veg, A Mogerly Steak and Kidney pie and a packet of Knorr cheese sauce...Poetic Bull**** Licence engaged ?
    Yep..Full on !
    Ahem...
    What I had to eat tonight..
    A Herby oven crusted hand crafted quintessentially British Steak and Kidney Pie with with slow cooked chuck of organic beef with sauteed orphan of calf kidneys married
    to a delicate medely of carefully selected hand cut dewey morning''explosion of spring'' vegetables smothered with a succulent almost (Cheeky) farmyard gouda ju
    Proudly served with a side order of family harvested Maris Piper Malted sea salted Frites
    :D
    Steak-pie.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had fresh pasta with tomato and mascarpone sauce, garlic bread and a salad of mixed leaves, clementine, pomegranate, cucumber and tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So, we decided to try out DropChef for a few days (one of Ireland's versions of HelloFresh or whatever) just to see what it's like, is it good value, quality, etc.

Day one, Kale and beef black bean stir fry with rice. 673 calories. Pretty tasty, have to say. I thought I wouldn't be full after (just looking at the ingredients) but I'm nicely sated.

6PAjeGX.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Tried out the new bbq again this evening and cooked some rib eyes. Served with baked potato and a rocket, pine nut and pesto salad.

548711.jpeg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Lazy frozen pizza night...

I do not recommend the Goodfellas Thin and Crispy Chicken & Herb dressing..

Pure muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Default choice frozen pizza here: wait untii it's on offer, then Chicago Town Tomato Stuffed Crust. Add dried ham - serrano - prosciutto - whatever - and slices of parmesan. Don't go overboard on extra toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grilled Syrian chicken (marinaded and skewered for cooking) recipe that was in last months Food & Wine magazine. Decent.

I had planned to barbecue this evening but when I took the cover off it was covered in snails and I couldn't face it!

So I cooked in the kitchen and we ate in the garden. :pac:

As for the food...I bought a BBQ pork fillet from Aldi. When I opened the vacuum pack, the "BBQ sauce" looked and smelled like "bean juice" aka the stuff in a can of baked beans. I was a bit taken aback, so I rinsed the pork and made my own glaze for it from garlic, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and sweet chilli sauce. I roasted it and served with griddled corn on the cob and home made air fryer chips.

It was delicious in the end! Nice bottle of Stonewell to wash it down, too. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had barbecued pork chops with a garlic, black pepper and salt rub - and the obligatory mash & beans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I did some bbq today. Chicken breast skewers marinated in mid East type spices (cumin, paprika, turmeric, garlic lemon, olive oil, coriander and some cayene ) and tights with bourbon, soya and treacle glaze. The two things don't compliment each other at all but considering grilled chicken is delicious I don't care. Served with tabbouleh and mint carrot salad. I have no pictures.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

meeeeh wrote: »
    Served with tabbouleh and mint carrot salad.

I will take this, thank you.
    Roasted or freshly grated?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I will take this, thank you.
    Roasted or freshly grated?

Freshly grated. It's very popular in our house. Our picky daughter loves it and so does any stray relative who has dinner with us. (Other hit is grated carrot, olives and coriander).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I had a fat man dinner.

20210330-195711.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

So, we decided to try out DropChef for a few days (one of Ireland's versions of HelloFresh or whatever) just to see what it's like, is it good value, quality, etc.

Day one, Kale and beef black bean stir fry with rice. 673 calories. Pretty tasty, have to say. I thought I wouldn't be full after (just looking at the ingredients) but I'm nicely sated.

Oh cool I hadn't heard of that yet :)

I watch a lot of Mikey Chen/Strickly Dumpling on Youtube, and he always gets Hellowfresh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I did some bbq today. Chicken breast skewers marinated in mid East type spices (cumin, paprika, turmeric, garlic lemon, olive oil, coriander and some cayene ) and tights with bourbon, soya and treacle glaze. The two things don't compliment each other at all but considering grilled chicken is delicious I don't care. Served with tabbouleh and mint carrot salad. I have no pictures.

Almost the exact same skewers here, less the corriander (we were out) and with natural yoghurt added. The BBQ was in need of a clean so just did them in the oven with the grill turned on for the last 5 mins... Was happy with the end result.

Threw together some mid eastish salad with it and did some Turkishish flatbread on the Ooni.

No pictures either, guess I just have to make it again, very soon.

and tights with bourbon, soya and treacle glaze.

Mmm, glazed tights. Did the fibres not stick in your teeth? :pac:

Mmm, glazed tights. Did the fibres not stick in your teeth? :pac:

It's not that sticky. 15 g of butter, two table spoons of soya and burbon and one table spoon of treacle heated. It's not a heavy glaze, original recipe is for chicken wings but I normally use it on drumsticks. (That was the plan yesterday until I opened fridge and realised I bought tighs).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

It's not that sticky. 15 g of butter, two table spoons of soya and burbon and one table spoon of treacle heated. It's not a heavy glaze, original recipe is for chicken wings but I normally use it on drumsticks. (That was the plan yesterday until I opened fridge and realised I bought tights).

I think your drumstick is being pulled, you originally posted this "I bought tights" in your earlier post.:)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

con747 wrote: »
    I think your drumstick is being pulled, you originally posted this "I bought tights" in your earlier post.:)

Oh sorry didn't even notice that. My English spelling abilities still abandon me sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

anybody have a go to really good spicy chilli beef recipe?? Want to make for OH for bday tomorrow but havent made a chilli before (Ive only started proper cooking since lockdown!) Mods feel free to move if wrong thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

snowgal wrote: »
    anybody have a go to really good spicy chilli beef recipe?? Want to make for OH for bday tomorrow but havent made a chilli before (Ive only started proper cooking since lockdown!) Mods feel free to move if wrong thread....

Yeah. This is a good recipe to work off. I leave out the squash, not my thing. I add a shot of espresso too and maybe a bit of dark chocolate. 500g of brisket will be more than enough for two people. Add a couple of chipotle peppers too.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/texas-beef-brisket-chili

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A steak sandwich. Striploin, fried onion, rocket and pepper sauce on ciabatta. Fried potato cubes on the side.

IMG-20210330-221342.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

snowgal wrote: »

This is a terrific site for recipes in general: https://leitesculinaria.com/?s=chili%20con%20carne

I had a lack of packet emergency last time and winged it with modifying the Rob Walsh recipe with good results. I suspect following that recipe to the letter would yield something amazing.

That said, I usually just go with Old El Paso Chilli Con Carne packet mix (Dunnes) which is the best of all they ones I have tried. Then you just need a can of chopped tomatoes, a tin of rd kidney beans and 500g of beef mince. The packet instructions don't call for it but I found adding 1/3 a tube of tomato puree adds some magic. It has to be one of the easiest possible things to make. I also have a small amount of finely chopped Jalapeño chilli on a dish on the side to add as suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

This is my go to chilli recipe - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chilli-con-carne-recipe
    You can make it spicier by adding more chilli powder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Steak Pie !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Steak Pie !

I want to marry that steak pie..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Steak Pie !

wow - you have to upload a pic of a slice.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

sporina wrote: »
    wow - you have to upload a pic of a slice.. :)

Agreed, looks so good from the outside

Advertisement