Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

There ye go...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Fired up the bbq again today. Did some pork chops, sauteed green beans, and potato gratin (done in the oven). Plating leaves a lot to be desired, but very tasty.

548780.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    There ye go...

Would you share the recipe please?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

There ye go...

wow great shine on your gravy too - you know your stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

There ye go...
    perfect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Would you share the recipe please?.

The filling usually varies and the pastry is the most important part and important to keep it as cold as possible.

The pastry is
    2 eggs beaten with 60ml ice water
    500g plain flour
    10g salt
    250g butter

Mix the flour, salt and butter together and then add the water mixture and form into a rough dough. Knead for a few minutes and then refrigerate for 1hr. Keep one third of the dough for the lid and line a greased 25cm cake tin with the rest of the dough and refrigerate for 30 mins. Roll out the lid and refrigerate also. Add your chilled filling and cover with the lid and then crimp and egg wash with egg yolk and a little water.

The filling was just an onion, carrot and 2 cloves of garlic sautéed in a pan with a little tomato paste cooked out. I added some eye of round then I had cut into strips and had sous vide for an hour and fried off. I then added 2 tablespoons of corn flour and created a fond and added beef stock and cooked until thickened and cooled until needed.

Into a preheated oven at 180° for 45 minutes until golden brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Day 2 of Dropchef. Chicken, pepper and carrot stirfry with soba noodles.

Not going to lie, this one was a little bland. Possibly not helped by them missing out giving us the sauce sachet and including an extra egg meaning I had to make one up based on their description, but still. Not a patch on yesterday, but I will say this, it was a massive portion. Picture is after I've eaten about a quarter.

ZJOlvPZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

sporina wrote: »
    wow - you have to upload a pic of a slice.. :)

I was thinking the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

In my mind, I had a big slice of that steak pie.

In reality, spaghetti carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Old fashioned fatter quarter pounder+ home made burgers done on flat cast iron on the gas grill

Third day in a row, not sure weather tomorrow will be up to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

snowgal wrote: »
    anybody have a go to really good spicy chilli beef recipe?? Want to make for OH for bday tomorrow but havent made a chilli before (Ive only started proper cooking since lockdown!) Mods feel free to move if wrong thread....

Too late for tomorrow, but surprised nobody has mentioned Sparks' Chilli:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66367505
    Boards Best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had fresh soda bread and some vegetable stew tonight. Doesn't look or sound much, but it was quite satisfying.

548802.jpg

548804.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Burgers. Every spring when temperatures go up a bit I start barbecuing like mad. :D it's good weather is nicer because I was getting stumped what to cook. I go off stews, baked ham or some roasts at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Agreed, looks so good from the outside
    That's what the Christians said about the Colosseum's :eek:

Lasagna, which my partner isn't a huge fan of, and is the default if I have a few hours to prep it and don't get given any better ideas of what to cook.

Tell me what to cook and I'll cook it, don't and you get lasagna!

Used jar not-bechemel sauce but did the tomato element from scratch hence the few hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Burgers cooked on the barbecue in brioche buns with my version of McD's sauce, cheese, gherkins and onion. Airfryer chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Veggie enchiladas with salad in ours tonight. My enchiladas have cheese sauce on them so are more like a Mexican lasagna

Decent sun and a lack of cloud cover = slightly chilly steak searing session on the grill to finish a reverse sear from the oven.

Really was not expecting a fourth go at it this week, but when steak was already planned its actually cleaner and tidier to do it outdoors than use a griddle inside.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Last night we had sirloin steak from Aldi and air fryer chips. It was crap! The steaks were watery and grey. Despite getting them to room temperature and searing on a screaming hot pan they were clearly full of water and basically boiled on the pan. Urgh.

Tonight was much better. Free range chicken, roasted, with mash and roasties, roast carrots and parsnip, creamed spinach and gravy.

I'm telling ya lads, I've had a bad week with Aldi products. I'm finished with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Last night we had sirloin steak from Aldi and air fryer chips. It was crap! The steaks were watery and grey. Despite getting them to room temperature and searing on a screaming hot pan they were clearly full of water and basically boiled on the pan. Urgh.

Tonight was much better. Free range chicken, roasted, with mash and roasties, roast carrots and parsnip, creamed spinach and gravy.

I'm telling ya lads, I've had a bad week with Aldi products. I'm finished with them.

I don't buy meats from Aldi. Lidl are mostly fine but I'd tend more towards Tesco, especially for mince.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I only buy the Aldi ribeye steak in the black and gold box and so far we've never had a bad one. It's so disappointing when you're looking forward to a nice steak and it's not great.

Tonight we had Tesco battered cod with mash and carrots & tenderstem broccoli roasted with butter, garlic and onion granules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Very very very rarely do I buy "fresh" meat from Aldi or any other supermarket. I have a local butcher and stick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Chicken thighs, Sauteed mushrooms,Brocelli, Sprouts, Micro potatoes and Pepper Sauce.
    It really was tasty.

25-dinner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Shenshen wrote: »
    We had fresh soda bread and some vegetable stew tonight. Doesn't look or sound much, but it was quite satisfying.

Could you post your soda bread recipe please? Looks great, I’ve been playing around with a few but haven’t found the right one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

We got the BuJo Easter dine at home pack which arrived yesterday. So yesterday evening we had their burgers with airfryer chips. I cooked the burgers on the BBQ, with onions. Heated the brioche buns on the BBQ too. The sauce that came with them was divine. It feeds 6 people, and we are only 3, so will have them again probably on Monday/Tuesday.

Pizza :)

20210403-184009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

thai red curry take away.
    So good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Meatballs and potato cubes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Day 3 of Dropchef. Honey and paprika chicken with rice and sugarsnaps. A major step up from Day 2. Scallions/sesame seeds not included.

nsLenW7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    thai red curry take away.
    So good

hmm where did you get it from? Love Thai but hard to get a good one in the city centre of Cork..

Advertisement