Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sunday was cold and rainy here, the perfect excuse to make a lovely hotpot.
    Filled with onions, carrots, celeriac, broccoli stem, peas and quorn sausages in a white wine gravy, and topped with new potatoes

550676.jpg

550677.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Spag bol

550683.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You made me look at Donal's website now, he lives in LA. Knew he as known in the US but not like that, jeez, he really did strike it big.

They moved back quite recently I thought. Unfortunately I only know this because he went on and on about it in what is supposed to be a cooking column in the Indo Weekender.

He’s one tv chef that I actually can’t watch but I think his recipes look like they would be tasty.

And to keep on topic: Saturday was homemade lasagne at my husbands request and Sunday was slow cooked pork belly with roasted baby potatoes, cauliflower cheese and pan juice gravy with some hoisin added in. Eaten with with a delicious Albariño that I was gifted some time back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Paella and a few bravas...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Paella and a few bravas...

10/10 for presentation. :)

We had Red Lentil Tarka Dal with Basmati Rice and Naans brushed with Butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm moving in with K. I will be quiet. Just want food. Like a human pet kinda

• Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pan fried sea bass, little spuds and tenderstem broccoli with a lemon, butter and parsley sauce.

Any tips for getting the skin real crispy? I can get it crisp-ish but always fall short.

Dry skin, score, season, add to hot oil that's just about to smoke, hold down on pan... 2-3 mins.
    Flip over and baste skin side.

The only way I think I could get a proper crisping would be to overcook the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

If they do good veggie stuff I'm moving in too.

I made the last of my Nyonya (veggie & chickpeas) curries tonight from my stash of Malaysian pastes. Made a saag aloo with soy cream so the veegits (as they are lovingly are called in our house) and boiled brown rice and flaky paratha.

Was much appreciated as my sis and her hubby had spent most of the day in a hospital getting their wee baba checked after she hadn't been well. Thankfully she is fine and dinner was delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Had pork tenderloin stuffed with some prosciutto ham, mozzarella and pesto with some gratin potatoes on the side. Usually just use cream/garlic for the sauce but followed a recipe to infuse it with that plus thyme and shallots before blending smooth, was delicious.

If you need me I'll be in a food coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭50HX

PARlance wrote: »
    Pan fried sea bass, little spuds and tenderstem broccoli with a lemon, butter and parsley sauce.

Any tips for getting the skin real crispy? I can get it crisp-ish but always fall short.

Dry skin, score, season, add to hot oil that's just about to smoke, hold down on pan... 2-3 mins.
    Flip over and baste skin side.

The only way I think I could get a proper crisping would be to overcook the fish.

Dry it out with salt first or run a knife over the skin a few times and wipe dry in between doing so

Dust it with flour, a v light coating and keep all parts of the skin pressed down in the pan when cooking

Let us know how that goes

• Advertisement

50HX wrote: »
    Dry it out with salt first or run a knife over the skin a few times and wipe dry in between doing so

Dust it with flour, a v light coating and keep all parts of the skin pressed down in the pan when cooking

Let us know how that goes

Cheers will try that method with the knife and a light dusting of flour.

I had a tin of jackfruit and a fond memory of Paprikahendl, a dish I had a lot while growing up.
    So I tried re-creating the vegetarian version, with some success. The texture was brilliant, just as I remembered from when I was little and my gran made it for us. The taste, however, wasn't quite there. But as my picky eater of a husband declared he really liked it, I'll try again and make some tweaks - like simmering the jackfruit in stock for a while to infuse flavour, before adding it to the dish.
    The spaetzle are Lidl's :)

550761.jpg

@Shenshen

I always confit the jackfruit and use it then and the texture is way better and you can add garlic and Rosemary etc

It stores well in the fridge and I use it then in a variety of dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

PARlance wrote: »
    Cheers will try that method with the knife and a light dusting of flour.

I've actually used a hair dryer on fish skin before cooking it.
    It does help.

It does help.

Can only imagine the scenes when she discovers the hair dryer is in the press with the food mixer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Asparagus risotto last night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Sunday's Dinner:

Roast Beef that fell apart after 7 and half hours in the slow cooker and a delicious red wine!

spBVOZCl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

conor_ie wrote: »
    a delicious red wine!

19 Crimes? Good then?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

The Nal wrote: »
    19 Crimes? Good then?

Not 19 Crimes.. it's El Picaro from Matsu! Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

conor_ie wrote: »
    Not 19 Crimes.. it's El Picaro from Matsu! Delicious

Aha! Looks very similar, haven't had it will check it out.

• Advertisement

A spin on Balmoral Chicken.

Pork tenderloin stuffed with haggis, neeps and tatties, tender stem broccoli with a whiskey peppercorn sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Cajun spiced chicken, cumin & turmeric couscous with red pepper, courgette, peas and avocado and tomato salad.

IMG-1719.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Compared to the previous two posts, a very simple Carbonara......

C4732-E59-A1-C9-4-E08-975-D-C67-C0395-BEDF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It does help.

I use a hair dryer on potato cubes or wedges before sautéing them and after par boiling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My mind is blown (pardon the pun) by all this talk of hairdryers in the kitchen! Hopefully it's not all just a lot of hot air :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Shenshen wrote: »
    Sunday was cold and rainy here, the perfect excuse to make a lovely hotpot.
    Filled with onions, carrots, celeriac, broccoli stem, peas and quorn sausages in a white wine gravy, and topped with new potatoes

I don't suppose you're in the market for adoping a child? A thirty-seven (soon to be thirty-eight if that changes things!) year old child ... Please?

That looks f*cking savage. Any particular recipe or ?

I don't suppose you're in the market for adoping a child? A thirty-seven (soon to be thirty-eight if that changes things!) year old child ... Please?

That looks f*cking savage. Any particular recipe or ?

Between myself, the husband, the cats and our foster kittens, the place is pretty packed right now, sorry! But feel free to drop by for dinner if you like :)

There's no real recipe, no. It kind of changes with whatever I have available, but the core is onions and carrots.
    I'd usually caramelize the onions first, sprinkle on some flour add the wine (usually red, but as I said, I was out, so that time I used white). I let that reduce a bit, then add in all the other veg, along with some vegetable stock, a bay leave and some 2 or 3 sprigs of rosemary. Let it simmer until the herbs have infused the sauce. Then take the herbs out, cover everything with sliced potatoes, brush with some oil over the top and put it into the over for maybe 40 - 50 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Shenshen wrote: »
    Between myself, the husbands, the cats and our foster kittens, the place is pretty packed right now, sorry! But feel free to drop by for dinner if you like :)

:eek:

:eek:

:pac::pac::pac:

Oh dear!!!
    One is actaully plenty, thank you!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Bun Cha - I’m really missing my favourite Vietnamese restaurant in Mannheim so made this to tide me over until we can travel again. Was very happy with it!

Advertisement