Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

cee_jay wrote: »
    Put a pizza stone into the gas bbq and did pizza. It was done in 5 mins, and really tasty.

Careful now. I’ve done that a couple of times and each time the stone cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Yeah I was terrified it would happen - the stone says it is good up to 500 degrees Celsius though. We don't really ever use the stone, so thought it was worth the shot to see how it went. I only had the BBQ up to around 300, and it was a store bought base. It was a great pizza though!

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You put the stone into the cold barbecue right?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    sporina wrote: »

Yes, roasted carrots in place of the roast spuds. Done in some olive oil and a sprinkle of dried pizza herbs as I could not find the thyme.

Should have spent longer looking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Pizza again :p

Pizza-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

tangy wrote: »

Should have spent longer looking ;)

Not if you like your carrots with a little bite. Mush does not work for me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Rotisserie chicken on the gas grill, salad and smashed potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

dmc17 wrote: »

looks yum - what are your toppings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

sporina wrote: »
    dmc17 wrote: »

looks yum - what are your toppings?

Think that one had chorizo, black pudding, red peppers and jalapenos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nearly had a day off today. Only had to fry the onions. :)

C89587-A2-B664-4833-849-E-8-F998-C76-B19-E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I felt a bit nostalgic on Saturday for my grandmother's cooking. She was from Austria, and she would frequently make Backhendl. Something very similar to Southern Fried chicken, but not overly spicy. I had some tofu, so here's my first attempt at Austrian Fried Tofu with potato salad :

551409.jpg

Yesterday we were out for a walk and I found some wild garlic. When we go home, I made a pesto with wild garlic, olives, sundried tomatoes and some peccorino. Stirred that through some tagliatelle along with a bit of cottage cheese - it was quite tasty indeed!

551410.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pork stir fry with soba noodles.
    Noodles were weird, but not bad.

Lxii546.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Chilli cheese fries with sriracha mayo

IMG-20210426-204419.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Sriracha played a part in my dinner this evening. Veg and tofu fried rice with garlic, ginger, soy and sriracha sauce.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A shop bought but surprisingly tasty beef brisket pie with a rich stout gravy and creamy mash topping. I just added a side of tenderstem broccoli. It's abit messy on the plate and partially eaten, hence the cropping :P

551517.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sunday Lunch. No carbs for me though. :(

FYI, There is a good amount of carbs in carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

JPA wrote: »
    FYI, There is a good amount of carbs in carrot.

"Carrot or potato - where is more nutrients.
    Calories: potato - 88% more than carrot.
    Carbohydrates: potato - 83% more than carrot.
    Fat: carrot - 58% more than potato.
    Dietary fiber: carrot - 25% more than potato.
    Protein: potato - 120% more than carrot.
    "

Anyway, enough of boring carb content. Tuesday night's simple Spag Bol.
    Not my dinner though, I had a lettuce leaf. Less carbs :D

IMG-1763.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

"

Have to say that quoting relative percentages does not lead to enlightenment :rolleyes:

According to Wiki,
    carrots have 9.6% carbohydrate;
    potatoes 17%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot#Nutrition
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato#Comparison_to_other_staple_foods

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Pork belly bao buns

IMG-20210427-195532.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

"

I'm just saying because some people avoid carbs for Keto and other reasons rather than just calories.

• Advertisement

Pineapple, chili and sweetcorn on pizza delivered to the emergency department of my local hospital. Been in since noon but they had no veggie options when was offered food at 4 so got pizza at 10 pm....12 hours after had finished my breakfast. Was ravenous. Kept half for lunch tomorrow in case it's same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Witchie wrote: »
    Pineapple, chili and sweetcorn on pizza delivered to the emergency department of my local hospital. Been in since noon but they had no veggie options when was offered food at 4 so got pizza at 10 pm....12 hours after had finished my breakfast. Was ravenous. Kept half for lunch tomorrow in case it's same situation.

I hope everything is ok?
    The veggie options in hospitals here range from non-existant to plain shocking. My husband had to spend some time in hospital a few years back, and some of the things he was given left me speechless. It ranged from ham sandwiches - "Oh, you can just take the ham of, sure!" to a plate of 6 overboiled spaghetti (yes, we counted them!) with mashed potatoes. There was never a single vegetable in sight, in all the 2 weeks he was there. I ended up bringing him food, just to make sure he wouldn't develop scurvy...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In some hospitals, if you say you're vegan they're more likely to procure something edible for a vegetarian, although if you've been having milk in your tea or yoghurt for breakfast while there it might be a bit difficult!

L1011 wrote: »
    In some hospitals, if you say you're vegan they're more likely to procure something edible for a vegetarian, although if you've been having milk in your tea or yoghurt for breakfast while there it might be a bit difficult!

I don't take milk or eggs, but do butter and cheese. Add in my allergy to all nuts, coconut and sesame and am a bit of a nightmare to feed sometimes. Had 2 slices if white bread for breakfast and black tea.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I hope everything is ok?
    The veggie options in hospitals here range from non-existant to plain shocking. My husband had to spend some time in hospital a few years back, and some of the things he was given left me speechless. It ranged from ham sandwiches - "Oh, you can just take the ham of, sure!" to a plate of 6 overboiled spaghetti (yes, we counted them!) with mashed potatoes. There was never a single vegetable in sight, in all the 2 weeks he was there. I ended up bringing him food, just to make sure he wouldn't develop scurvy...

I have had similar experiences in hospital before. It's crazy the lack of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

Shenshen wrote: »
    I hope everything is ok?

gee sorry your hubby had such a bad experience.. I dunno about other hospitals but where I work the veggie options are not bad... stirfrys and curries with beans/lentils etc.. nice salads with quinoa would you believe...

hope your ok Witchie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hope you're home and well Witchie.

We had roast chicken tonight, slathered in spices, olive oil and lemon juice. Served with Mexican rice with corn and black beans, flour tortillas, avocado, limes, home made salsa, roasted veg, sour cream and cheese.

Plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.

IMG-20210428-175620862.jpg

IMG-20210428-175613218.jpg

Unfortunately, not. Lying flat on my back recovering from a lumbar puncture. Managed to eat my dinner lying flat.

Spuds, broccoli, cabbage and turnip. Jazzed it up with the leftover garlic dip from my pizza.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=551673&d=1619635264

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Witchie wrote: »

Spuds, broccoli, cabbage and turnip. Jazzed it up with the leftover garlic dip from my pizza.

Gosh that's poor.

Keep us posted Witchie. We are thinking of you. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Feel better soon Witchie :)

Advertisement