Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Thank you. Now make me jealous of your food.

Home and had my favourite comfort food for lunch - mac and cheese. Crappy box stuff. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,194 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

551776.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had roast chicken, baked potato and veg tonight. It feels like ages since I've cooked anything exciting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Left over ham and veg turned into a puff 0astry pie with mash and gravy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had potato waffles, beans and a crispy fried egg because Himself cooked a stir fry that had so much soy sauce it was poisonous :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I made carbonara and as usual I scrambled the eggs slightly. I try and I try!! :eek::confused::mad:

It was still tasty. :pac:

I grate a load of parmesan into the beaten eggs, I think that's what saves mine. I use Guy Sinnott's method on Instagram.

I took the link out because it didn't work. It's in his highlights - Carbonara 2.0

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Duck / Mandarin Sauce.

mMdJ3L3l.jpg

xs8qgjgl.jpg

Bien cuit. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I made carbonara and as usual I scrambled the eggs slightly. I try and I try!! :eek::confused::mad:

It was still tasty. :pac:

Try adding the egg off the heat. Like in a separate bowl.

Heat of the pasta should be enough to cook the egg sufficiently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

No cooking tonight. Takeaway with Aloo gobi, Shami kebab, Bangla murgh and pilau. Tastes better than it looks.

IMG-1822.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,203 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I grate a load of parmesan into the beaten eggs, I think that's what saves mine. I use Guy Sinnott's method on Instagram.

I took the link out because it didn't work. It's in his highlights - Carbonara 2.0

I'm a bit obbessed about carbonara :(

Had a look at his version and pepper in the sauce and the pan is too much imo, makes the sauce too dark... Don't get me started on the fact that it wasn't freshly cracked pepper :)

But the main issue I have (and I do have issues) is the way he ladles spoon upon spoon of pasta water into the pan on high heat. He's just evaporating all of the flavours away imo.

For me, one of the keys is that you don't want a heavy based pan or anything that retains the heat too well. Turn off heat just before adding the pasta, there'll be enough water on the pasta as it is rather than adding too much extra, a small bit if needed. Let that sit to absorb the pancetta juices for a minute or so before adding the egg. Have some pasta water to hand to loosen it up if needed.

One hack I do, (and I don't know if it makes any difference at all) is to add some pasta water to the egg/cheese mixture before adding it to the pan. My thinking is that he brings the heat of the mixture up a little and stops any shock/scrambling upon hitting the pan. Just something I tried one day and stuck with it.

I'm way too obsessed with carbonara...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ I agree with you. You are obsessed! ;)

I don't use nearly as much pepper as he does - but apart from that it's the best carbonara I've had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Turkey wings, sadly very grizzly and chewy skin
    PHOTO-20210501-202303.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Comerman wrote: »
    Turkey wings, sadly very grizzly and chewy skin
    PHOTO-20210501-202303.jpg

Is that a mini can of Carlsberg or are they Turkey wings? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Is that a mini can of Carlsberg or are they Turkey wings? ;)

Pint can, they were huge but sadly not great. I got them in the Moldova shop in Kilkenny, great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Dinner not cooked by me for once :D Scallops and risotto

Whats-App-Image-2021-05-02-at-21-08-26-1.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

x37edcpl.jpg

Eel Unagi, Spider Roll, California Roll and Chicken Gyoza for me.. Phad Key Mow for herself

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

New recipe tonight! It involved pork medallions in an apple/cider based stew type of thing. Served with mash and peas.

It wasn't bad at all! Might just make a couple of minor tweeks the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

woodchuck wrote: »
    New recipe tonight! It involved pork medallions in an apple/cider based stew type of thing. Served with mash and peas.

It wasn't bad at all! Might just make a couple of minor tweeks the next time.

looks lovely - nice shine on the sauce

Baked aubergine tonight - slices cooked on the griddle pan, topped with home made tomato sauce and mozzarella/parmesan. Eaten with pasta, sourdough bread and salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Bought an air fryer and used it to do breaded SF chicken strips and chips. Dollop of baked beans.
    Job done for a Bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

What do I do with it ? 6.99 in tesco. solid beef about the size of a tin of beans ?

Baked aubergine tonight - slices cooked on the griddle pan, topped with homemade tomato sauce and mozzarella/parmesan. Eaten with pasta, sourdough bread and salad.

You inspired me this evening. Made something similar.

Mashed butter beans with some olive oil on the bottom of a dish, poured a homemade ratatouille type veg sauce then layered some grilled aubergine and then a cheese sauce on top and baked.

Served with salad.

Dad had a chicken casserole and mash potatoes

Ish66 wrote: »
    What do I do with it ? 6.99 in tesco. solid beef about the size of a tin of beans ?

If you just roast it it will be dry and tough so you'd need to pot roast it. Put it in a casserole dish or similar dish deep enough for the meat, add beef stock (Oxo cube with water is fine) and chopped carrot, onion and celery. Cover it either with a lid or tightly with tinfoil and put it in the oven at around 170C for a couple of hours. The liquid would make great gravy.

You could also do it in a slow cooker.

I made lentil bolognese tonight, it was only okay. After an hour and a half cooking the lentils were still tough. They were fairly big green lentils, I might try it again with smaller ones.

20210504-191756.jpg

We had a stir fry tonight. Fillet beef, mixed veg, egg noodles, a sauce made from sweet chilli, plum, soy and rice wine vinegar. Served with chopped scallions and some peanut and black garlic rayu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

Ish66 wrote: »

As Dizzy said above, I use about a pint of water in a casserole dish with a lid and I take it out and cut it into thick slices after about 1 and 1/2 hours @150c and put it back in after making a gravy so it's submerged for about 45-60 minutes and it will melt in your mouth. Might need longer depending on your oven. It can be done in the slow cooker as well but a lot longer to cook.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

We had a BBQ pack from Oliver Dunne restaurants yesterday, and there was some prawns in chilli and garlic leftover so I had them with pasta. They were so tasty.
    Himself had the leftover burger and salads. There is still a lot of salads left, so they will feature heavily for lunch and dinner tomorrow also.

Advertisement