Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Cooking club?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Cooking club?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1355
    A great archive of recipes. The stand outs for me, and the ones I always go back to, are the pulled pork, doner kebabs, chicken and chorizo rice bake and buttermilk chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

cee_jay wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1355
    A great archive of recipes. The stand outs for me, and the ones I always go back to, are the pulled pork, doner kebabs, chicken and chorizo rice bake and buttermilk chicken.

Don’t forget the Chicken Biryani. Fantastic! https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056521427/20/#post87103622

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Well, that's the rest of my weekend sorted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

woodchuck wrote: »
    Sausages with mash, peas and homemade onion gravy (I totally forgot to put onions on the shopping list, but luckily had a half a large onion leftover in the fridge from another day!)

Onions are the one thing I would panic at not having.

Must be my favourite vegetable, and the starting point of anything I cook.
    II most always have a few slices of raw onion with anything I eat.

No dinner as such for me. Made some tuna salad to have with rye bread.

Cooked some puy lentils to have with things over the next couple of days.
    Will probably go with the Italian sausages that are in the fridge waiting to be eaten.
    (Tesco in Cork are now stocking the O'Flynn sausages, great to see)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Onions are the one thing I would panic at not having.

Must be my favourite vegetable, and the starting point of anything I cook.
    II most always have a few slices of raw onion with anything I eat.

No dinner as such for me. Made some tuna salad to have with rye bread.

Cooked some puy lentils to have with things over the next couple of days.
    Will probably go with the Italian sausages that are in the fridge waiting to be eaten.
    (Tesco in Cork are now stocking the O'Flynn sausages, great to see)

OMG raw onions - my worst food nightmare.. esp white.. worse than dill.. :pac:

I don't mind cooked onions though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dash Burger! Had been meaning to go for a long time but with lockdown, etc. the first chance we had was this weekend so we had a back seat picnic of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lamb Koftas with couscous, hummus and salad with a yoghurt and mint dressing.

IMG-20210509-184754.jpg

McMurphy wrote: »
    Lamb Koftas with couscous, hummus and salad with a yoghurt and mint dressing.

OMG - my fav food - how did you make the koftas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

sporina wrote: »
    OMG - my fav food - how did you make the koftas?

I cooked them under the grill, was thinking of frying them, or even roasting them in the oven, but decided they'd be best under a screaming hot grill where I could turn them easily enough at regular intervals.

Now, if however you mean did I make them using lamb mince etc....?

Nope they're shop bought from Aldi, and they are absolutely delicious, I'm all on for actually making my own some evening, but spotted them yesterday on my weekly shop. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Jamie Oliver's simple lamb koftas are sooo easy to make. He literally mixes lamb mince with Marissa paste or any curry paste and squeezes sausage shaped handfuls, leave the finger grooves in them. Then BBQ or fry for a few minutes. They taste lovely whatever paste is used.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/lamb-kofta-flatbreads/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sunday roast. We had sage and onion stuffing, roasted potatoes, thyme roasted carrots and spiced cabbage (leftover from christmas I found in the freezer). The only thing not fully homemade was the instant gravy.

7mw4ThF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Housekeepers cut of beef.
    I've only ever cooked rib roast before, I'm not a beef fan but himself loves it.
    I slow cooked the beef with a little water, red wine and some garlic cloves.
    I browned it off in the oven and then let it rest.
    Strained the cooking liquor, reduced, added a gravy stock pot, red wine and seasoned. A beautiful sauce.
    Had roast pots, buttered turnip, stuffing and Yorkshire puds.
    The meat was a bit dry, but pretty pleased with my first attempt.
    Pan fried pineapple with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Removed the pineapple when done and added cream to the pan to make a caramel sauce. Served with ice-cream.
    A fine meal!!

Shenshen wrote: »
    Sunday roast. We had sage and onion stuffing, roasted potatoes, thyme roasted carrots and spiced cabbage (leftover from christmas I found in the freezer). The only thing not fully homemade was the instant gravy.

where's the protein?

where's the protein?

In the bread stuffing and the potatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

where's the protein?

While we do need a balanced diet, we don't need every single meal to be balanced.
    Imagine if every meal posted here was analyzed and judged on its nutritional content and balance.:eek:

I know that you didn't mean any offence whatsoever, but because someone is vegetarian, that doesn't give us license to critique their meals, nutritionally. The interest that people show in the diets of vegetarian and vegan people but get very tiresome.

<snipping the image>]

Yum!

Is there a way of cooking stuffing without using meat? I'd like to have it just with gravy. I have never cooked stuffing, only ever have my mam's at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yum!

Is there a way of cooking stuffing without using meat? I'd like to have it just with gravy. I have never cooked stuffing, only ever have my mam's at Christmas!

You can roll it in tinfoil or just press it into a loaf tin or other ovenproof container.

In the bread stuffing and the potatoes?

Oh I didn't realise you are veggie.. I thought mayb there was a slice of beef underneath that I couldn't see or something...

In any event, looks yum.

While we do need a balanced diet, we don't need every single meal to be balanced.
    Imagine if every meal posted here was analyzed and judged on its nutritional content and balance.:eek:

I know that you didn't mean any offence whatsoever, but because someone is vegetarian, that doesn't give us license to critique their meals, nutritionally. The interest that people show in the diets of vegetarian and vegan people but get very tiresome.

Heyyyy... chill... gee - mountains and mole hills spring to mind :pac:
    See above :)

Yum!

This one is simply put into an oven-proof dish and baked, really simple.

I've used 4 sliced of white bread, crumbed in the food processor. I fried up half a finely chopped onion in a little ghee (for the buttery taste more than anything else, oil would work just as well). Once the onion was translucent, I added chopped sage from the garden.
    I then added this to the breadcrumbs along with half a cup of vegetable stock, an egg, and a good pinch of pepper.
    I was toying with the idea of grating some peccorino over it before baking, but I decided to keep it more traditional.

It worked really well, I quite liked it, as did my fussy eater of a husband.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yum!

I usually gently fry a chopped big onion in plenty of butter until it's soft, then add enough breadcrumbs (I buy a bag of it) to make a wet but not slimy consistency. You want it to still crumble a little bit. Then I add a load of mixed herbs, maybe a dessertspoonful, and salt & black pepper, You can taste it at this stage to see if it's herby enough. Then I press it, not too firmly, into a small dish, cover it with tinfoil and bake it at 180C for 20-25 minutes, take the foil off and leave it for another 5-10 minutes. Some people add mashed potato to their stuffing. I'll add a grated apple if we're having it with pork.
    As Beer said, you can also roll it in foil and pop it in the oven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This one is simply put into an oven-proof dish and baked, really simple.

I've used 4 sliced of white bread, crumbed in the food processor. I fried up half a finely chopped onion in a little ghee (for the buttery taste more than anything else, oil would work just as well). Once the onion was translucent, I added chopped sage from the garden.
    I then added this to the breadcrumbs along with half a cup of vegetable stock, an egg, and a good pinch of pepper.
    I was toying with the idea of grating some peccorino over it before baking, but I decided to keep it more traditional.

It worked really well, I quite liked it, as did my fussy eater of a husband.

Sounds fab - I'll give that a try! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Potato rosti with a side salad, eggs came out nice for once (anytime I do them in the oven like a shakshuka the yolk goes overcooked and dry)

Whats-App-Image-2021-05-10-at-15-39-03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

[Why can't I edit out photos?]

I was going to comment on this, but I thought a war might be coming. Looks like not :)

This looks great, and made me wonder about the need for meat in a roast meal. Meat will give you the juices for flavour, but I wonder if the actual roasted flesh is needed? I like roast meat, but do I need it as part of a roast dinner? Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

First time buying a Frozen whole sea bass, tenderstem brocolli, mash was done with a new potato ricer.. Made over the weekend

Tonight was the mozza burger on a bed of spinach, last of the prepped mash from the fridge, and a curry sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pepper, Tomato and Basil Pasta (with added Feta) and garlic cheesy sourdough bread.

C7687275-9185-4330-8-D87-406-A70-AA45-A6.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pepper_tomato_and_basil_74401

tangy wrote: »

I was going to comment on this, but I thought a war might be coming. Looks like not :)

This looks great, and made me wonder about the need for meat in a roast meal. Meat will give you the juices for flavour, but I wonder if the actual roasted flesh is needed? I like roast meat, but do I need it as part of a roast dinner? Dunno.

I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer that :D
    All I can say is that the meal felt in no way incomplete to either of us.

tangy wrote: »

Absolutely no need for the meat! Meat isn't even needed for gravies; onions and mushrooms give great unami flavour, and there are easy shortcuts available, mushroom ketchup is very handy to have.

You could always add some sliced deli meat if you wish. An easy weeknight roast dinner!

I'm going to try making stuffing, but I will include butter, so not vegan. I remember my mam cooking beef tomatoes stuffed with... stuffing. Delicious!

I try to have one or two meat free days a week :)

Mr Dizzy cooked roast chicken with mash and veg here last night because I was welded to the sofa with fatigue after my vaccination on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer that :D
    All I can say is that the meal felt in no way incomplete to either of us.
    No, it didn't look incomplete - it looked very appetising - and it did give me pause for thought.

Advertisement