Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shenshen wrote: »
    They're good recipes, if only those lads could cut it out with the "Yo, dudes!"...

Yeah they are really tasty actually, the yo dudes stuff gets to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Had an oven baked chicken breast wrapped in sliced mozzarella and pancetta, homemade stuffing, chicken gravy, mashed spuds, carrots, brussel sprouts and broccoli. Quite lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had Jamie Oliver's chili con veggie tonight for the first time. I used diced carrot and red pepper instead of leek, and mixed beans instead of black beans, and I added some cocoa powder and a little sugar. I'll definitely make it again, it was fab.

jqqfr6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

We had Jamie Oliver's chili con veggie tonight for the first time. I used diced carrot and red pepper instead of leek, and mixed beans instead of black beans, and I added some cocoa powder and a little sugar. I'll definitely make it again, it was fab.

Always goes down a treat here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hungarian cauliflower. Not sure what's so Hungraian about it, it's my mum's recipe and she has a habit of calling everything with peppers and paprika "Hungarian" ;)

1zxlfup.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Hungarian cauliflower. Not sure what's so Hungraian about it, it's my mum's recipe and she has a habit of calling everything with peppers and paprika "Hungarian" ;)

Long time lurker here :o

Can you share how to make this please ?
    Looks like delicious , comfort food !

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I was going to ask for that cauliflower recipe also!
    I had beef curry with lots of cumin and sweet potatoes and brown rice. Perfect for the wet night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Chicken Tikka Masala, pimped with fried red pepper, red onion and thinly sliced carrot, Basmati rice & Naan bread, all good !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Long time lurker here :o

Can you share how to make this please ?
    Looks like delicious , comfort food !

It's very simple, really:

Boil a couple of florets of cauliflower until they're "al dente" (not the right turn of phrase, but you need it just a little soft as it will keep cooking once it's in the oven), then drain them. Chop one onion and some peppers (red work best) and fry them in a little oil until just soft.
    Add about half a tub of sour cream to the frying pan, and a little water. You want a nice an creamy sauce there. Add a stock cube, 2 tsp of paprika and 1 tsp of smoked paprika (if you only have the spicy kind, maybe a little less).

Spread the cauliflower florets into an ovenproof dish and pour the peppers and sauce over them. Cover in grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes in the oven.

Sprinkle with more paprika and some chives before serving.

I had it with some baguette to mop up the sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Thank you Shenshen , dinner sorted for today !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

It's very simple, really:

Boil a couple of florets of cauliflower until they're "al dente" (not the right turn of phrase, but you need it just a little soft as it will keep cooking once it's in the oven), then drain them. Chop one onion and some peppers (red work best) and fry them in a little oil until just soft.
    Add about half a tub of sour cream to the frying pan, and a little water. You want a nice an creamy sauce there. Add a stock cube, 2 tsp of paprika and 1 tsp of smoked paprika (if you only have the spicy kind, maybe a little less).

Spread the cauliflower florets into an ovenproof dish and pour the peppers and sauce over them. Cover in grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes in the oven.

Sprinkle with more paprika and some chives before serving.

I had it with some baguette to mop up the sauce :)

Bookmarked.

**Alf's going in the good books this weekend**

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Pork Medalions in a paprika marinade served with fried onions, carrot and parsnip, spinach and sugarsnaps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We've recently moved house so a lot of takeaways recently. I promised my husband a cooked meal tonight as he was leaving for work this morning. He gripped me by the shoulders and said "Yes! Vegetables! I need vegetables!"

Dinner was baked potatoes, roasted carrots, steamed broccoli, rare fillet steaks and pepper sauce. And a nice French white to wash it all down. :pac:

I went to Aldi to buy ingredients for a Chinese meal (I am restocking my cupboard) - oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar or sherry and sesame oil - and they had none of the above.

I could not face Tesco today, so I bought a pack of Aldi's hoisin and garlic sauce. I flash fried a sirloin steak rare, then sliced it thinly and stir fried some peppers and broccoli. I added the sauce, tossed the beef back in for a minute and dished up with boiled rice and some sliced raw scallions.

It was quick, and quite good, but it really could have used a little salt and some fresh chilli to give it some zing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I went to Aldi to buy ingredients for a Chinese meal (I am restocking my cupboard) - oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar or sherry and sesame oil - and they had none of the above.

I could not face Tesco today, so I bought a pack of Aldi's hoisin and garlic sauce. I flash fried a sirloin steak rare, then sliced it thinly and stir fried some peppers and broccoli. I added the sauce, tossed the beef back in for a minute and dished up with boiled rice and some sliced raw scallions.

It was quick, and quite good, but it really could have used a little salt and some fresh chilli to give it some zing.

I'm on a mission to Tescos tomorrow to restock on herbs, spices, oils and all things NICE!

I went Chinese last night too. Sir fried chicken, egg noodles, with honey and soy sauce

Chicken thigh fillets stirfried (discarded the skin and bone) with onion garlic, ginger and chilli (base)

Then added in water chestnuts, broccoli, beansprouts, broccoli, carrot and Pak choi.

Fried in soy sauce in a really hot wok, and flash fired egg noodles to slightly crisp them up, then when near finished a good few table spoons of n? Honey.

Finish off with chopped scallions and a good shake of Chinese five spice, and drizzled with sesame oil.

VJ5SXw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sunday... carrots and cauliflower with a rather tasty tesco chicken and bacon kiev. And gravy...

will have afters before I retire for the night ( if that makes sense :confused:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

411627.jpgSmoked haddock poached in milk, with wilted spinach, mash and mixed veg. Yum.

beertons wrote: »
    411627.jpgSmoked haddock poached in milk, with wilted spinach, mash and mixed veg. Yum.

Honestly Beertons as that pic downloaded, I really thought it was gonna be a pic of bog roll.:D But it was just Kitchen roll and a really nice looking meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I went Chinese last night too. Sir fried chicken, egg noodles, with honey and soy sauce

Chicken thigh fillets stirfried (discarded the skin and bone) with onion garlic, ginger and chilli (base)

Then added in water chestnuts, broccoli, beansprouts, broccoli, carrot and Pak choi.

Fried in soy sauce in a really hot wok, and flash fired egg noodles to slightly crisp them up, then when near finished a good few table spoons of n? Honey.

Finish off with chopped scallions and a good shake of Chinese five spice, and drizzled with sesame oil. QUOTE]

hi, where did buy the water chestnuts I can't see them anywhere!

• Advertisement

ellejay wrote: »

hi, where did buy the water chestnuts I can't see them anywhere!

Hi, in sure Tesco sell them tinned (blue dragon) but in my case, they were already in the pack of oriental stir fry veg I get from my local green grocer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tesco or Asian supermarkets have them, also have bamboo shoots.

Some recent eats:

Orzo with lemon grilled asparagus, vegan chicken flavoured meatball things and sesame stirfried veg.
    klOOSndl.jpg

Full vegan Irish from Sova (Amazing!).
    4pDsjavl.jpg

Yasai tempura from Musashi:

juYCFlEl.jpg

Tofu ramen from Yammamori:

NhdO9P4l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Think I will abstain as my food is so simple ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Orzo with lemon grilled asparagus, vegan chicken flavoured meatball things and sesame stirfried veg.
    Aren't you supposed to remove the blue elastic band from the Asparagus before cooking it? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'm on my Mexican buzz again. Opened a 20 pack of corn tortilla's so it's not due to end soon either :pac:

Chipotle prawns with guac, pico de gallo and a chipotle, lime and coriander sauce

17269978_10211693825276763_182142312_o_zpsxpf0k0jm.jpg

Graces7 wrote: »

There are hundreds of simple meals in this threads, no need for the 'little old me' routine. All dinners celebrated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Chicken thigh fillets stirfried (discarded the skin and bone)

Oh, don't do that. Chicken "scratchings" are great. Just chuck the skin in the oven with a sprinkling of coarse salt. Renders a lot of nice fat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Graces7 wrote: »

All food is good! It's the ideas I like to get from here...... :)

Asian fire beef tonight.

The beef has been marinading in soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, chilli flakes and sesame seeds for a few hours now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Leftover chicken and veg with chirizo and pasta in a pesto and cream cheese sauce.

E7C3AEBA-0C16-489B-B4E3-1154EF48069F_zpstdc1qnhg.jpg

Advertisement