Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Had to be something really quick last night, so I just threw some vegetables into a pan, seasoned them and rolled them into fajitas with a bit of sour cream and cheese.

Still rather satisfying, though :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Last night was bangers, mash, onion gravy and green beans. Top notch nosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Seafood pieces and Roasted Vegetable Quiche

8856B3E8-F24D-410D-95BB-EA89A5DB6EDB_zpsrj6vdxmd.jpg

Leftover vegetables and inari tofu stir fry with eggs and rice noodles :

2wokt4l.jpg

Topped with a bit of sriracha for kick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Spaghetti bolognaise & garlic bread in the oven.

just wanted something quick, homemade sauce using passata, spices (oregano, basil, salt, pepper, sugar) a bit of lemon, and a tiny bit of white wine vinegar too, so tasty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mushroom rolls, rocket, tomatoes cooked on a low heat in the airfryer and cottage cheese.

All nice but I think next time I'll chop the tomato smaller before cooking, or use cherry tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Came home yesterday to a lovely beef madras that Mrs Stewart cooked in the slow cooker for over eight hours this time (she's learning:D) served with basmati rice and poppadoms.

She's a keeper.

Mixed veg, consisting of onion, garlic, ginger, chillies, peppers, broccoli, and grated carrot stirfried in soy sauce, with egg noodles and honey with Thai seven spice, with a big handful of king prawns

The house still smells wonderful :)

thLfLf.jpg

I can never do noodles properly! They always stick to my pan. Maybe I need a proper wok again.

I had a baked frittata with sundried tomatoes, caramelised red onion and feta cheese, oregano, garlic and a teeny touch of lemon zest. On the side a baked potato topped with Greek yoghurt mixed with some grated cheddar and a hearty portion of chunky homemade coleslaw. Washed down with a glass of red and a lovely chat. Really enjoyable meal.

Whispered wrote: »
    I can never do noodles properly! They always stick to my pan. Maybe I need a proper wok again.

I just boil some water in a kettle, then pour into a saucepan, put the noodles in, and then cover with the lid. Just let them sit in the water, covered for five mins or so. (They will soften themselves nicely)

They are the very last thing you should add to the pan or wok. Have your heat turned down to prevent them sticking.

Then drizzle with a tbs of honey, and add more spice (chinese 5, or Thai 7) I prefer Thai myself.

All you need to do is mix the noodles with the veg as they're already cooked in the water.

• Advertisement

Thank you! Are they dry when you buy them? I've only tried the "straight to wok" ones so I could be going wrong there too.

Hi whispered , yeah I just use the dry type noodles , the soft type are usually covered in oil, and I don't really like them because of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had glazed loin of bacon with cabbage and mash :)

ioitfm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

Tonight we had glazed loin of bacon with cabbage and mash :)

One of my favourites!

Moroccan turkey, chilli and lentil meatballs, cooked in a tomato, onion garlic and bell pepper sauce, infused with harisa, preserved lemon, and a few other spices. Served with couscous.

Let sit in the slow cooker for 8 hrs.

Photo is of my second helping. Hence the mess of the plate. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

That sounds divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

A random night with lots of neighbours celebrating good news roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, celeraiac gratin, carrots and parsnips, cauliflour and mashed potatoes. Shop bought sticky toffee pudding and icecream and some bubbly to celebrate!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Last night I made Chinese dumplings filled with pork,garlic, ginger and spring onion. They were devoured by all my housemates

Had a second go at the veggie falafel , served up with chargrilled vegetables (peppers and scallions) made into wraps, with wholemeal wraps, homemade salsa, and chilli sauce - marbled cottage cheese.

Tf2LM0.jpg

I put a jar of pickled cabbage on the table too. Placed a spoonful into each wrap.

They were excellent.

Ptn4zn.jpg

Better picture of the falafel dish here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Whispered wrote: »

The secret to good stir fried noodles is to cook them beforehand. Cook them, then cool them in cold water, which stops them cooking and turning to mush.
    Once all your other ingredients are cooked, add the noodles to the wok to heat them up. I think the reason for hot noodles sticking is that the surface of them is too soft and it encourages sticking.

Had a second go at the veggie falafel
    Is there any other type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night, I pigged out on some Lidl currywurst that was taking up space in my freezer. Went down a treat with a bag of chips fro my local chipper. Lazy night.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    :p
    Is there any other type?

Yes. There are meat based ones too, but in my case, I made traditional falafel with chickpeas/fava bean base.

However, my "veggie" post was made in reference to the makeup of the meal, ie I didn't have any meat at all on the side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had the Cooking Club's doner kebabs last night and they were amazing as usual. No photos because we had guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had guests too! ;)

Butterflied leg of lamb, marinated in lime, chilli and ginger. With Bombay Potatoes, Curried Cauliflower Cheese (see recipe below), Beans in garlic and roasted Broccoli.

Eaten outside on the 2nd April!

Thanks to global warming and inspiration from tHB :)

F13C417A-1979-456C-A155-36D9A23BFEAE_zpsvoekv2vg.jpg

Curried Cauliflower Cheese -
    Large head of Cauliflower
    Sliced yellow and red peppers
    50g Butter
    Tbsp Flour
    Tbsp Curry Powder (strength to taste)
    Can of Coconut Milk
    100g Cheddar Cheese
    S&P

Par boil/nuke florets of Cauliflower and peppers. Meanwhile, melt butter in small pot, add flour and curry powder, stir for a couple of mins. Remove from heat and slowly add coconut milk, stirring all the time. Return to heat and when it boils, add cheese and seasoning.
    Pour over Cauliflower/peppers and bake in oven for 20 mins.

Curried Cauliflower Cheese -
    Large head of Cauliflower
    Sliced yellow and red peppers
    50g Butter
    Tbsp Flour
    Tbsp Curry Powder (strength to taste)
    Can of Coconut Milk
    100g Cheddar Cheese
    S&P

Par boil/nuke florets of Cauliflower and peppers. Meanwhile, melt butter in small pot, add flour and curry powder, stir for a couple of mins. Remove from heat and slowly add coconut milk, stirring all the time. Return to heat and when it boils, add cheese and seasoning.
    Pour over Cauliflower/peppers and bake in oven for 20 mins.

Thanks for that recipe! I adore cauliflower and am always keen on new ways of cooking it :)

Friday, I made a simple red lentil dahl with coconut milk and aloo tikki as sides. Had it with a peshwari naan, and I know think I need to learn how to make naan. The shop bought, re-heated ones are just not good enough.

2vjsk1y.jpg

Saturday, I made a white pizza with mushrooms and pecorino :

9qbh49.jpg

It was nice, but needed a touch more seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I've not had any success making naan, but I came across this recipe recently, which looks interesting. We don't have a tawa, but we do have a bakestone, so it's on the list :)

otherwise, buying from a curry house with a tandoor and freezing seems the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

arian wrote:
    I've not had any success making naan...

buying from a curry house with a tandoor and freezing seems the best option.

You could make poori. It's ridiculously simple.

Unfortunately it's also highly addictive and rather fattening :-(

I had some left over black bean stew from burritos we had on the weekend, so turned it into black bean burgers :

10ns5es.jpg

DE-licious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You could make poori. It's ridiculously simple.

Unfortunately it's also highly addictive and rather fattening :-(

I've never eaten them. They do look straightforward to make, so shall have a go.

Advertisement