Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Wordle 307 3/6*

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I fancied something light but comforting, so I made a childhood favourite of mine. It's a vegetable stew with semolina dumplings. The vegetables aren't strictly traditional, normally the dumplings are served in a clear broth, but I wanted veggies. Worked really well, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

"Jerusalem artichoke is delicious, but it should be consumed in very small quantities because it causes bloating, cramping, and excessive wind. IBS patients may be particularly susceptible to painful gassy after-effects."

Well, that explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fartychokes!

Have them in our garden. The affect can be quite dramatic!

Eaten raw, they seem somewhat tamed. Really good grated with carrot, apple and ginger as a slaw.

I'll have to keep that in mind. Last night was ... unpleasant.

Only learned about the nickname this morning too. That apple/carrot/ginger slaw sounds like it's a definite tryer for me though.

• Advertisement

Glazed free range ham. Mash with wild leek and wild garlic through it. Cabbage, kale and spring greens (not enough of either one). Parsley sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

that ham looks delicious - can you post your cooking method please? I lovvve it

That piece(1.25kg) I just simmered for an hour or so, then took the skin off, smeared mustard on the fat, studded with cloves, sprinkled brown sugar on the fat and put it in a 200°C oven for about 10 minutes.

While more expensive, the flavour of the free range pork really came through the cure. Unsmoked. It was really delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Tried a new recipe tonight: seafood pasta. It was pretty good, will definitely do it again! And don't worry, it's topped with parsley, not coriander.

I had a little pizza dough leftover from the weekend, so I also made a little bit of garlic bread with coriander (had to get the coriander in there somewhere :P).

Kinda chicken korma.

Fajitas!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Still working on my smash burger technique.

This used some methods for steaming the bun and cheese from the “And for mains” book by Higgins Butchers x Michael’s.

The burger sauce was a blend of mayo, mustard, ketchup, paprika, cayenne, pickle brine, garlic and gherkins.

Homemade oven chips too.

A lot of clean up but tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A bank holiday trip to IKEA so a Swedish Feast tonight.

Served with loads of different sauces, condiments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Chilli, baked potato, cheese, potato salad, mixed bean salad, orzo, chickpeas and chilli, with guacamole, sour cream and a leftover lamb kofta from last nights dinner.

40 day aged Gallician beef from FXB. 35 euro a kilo.

Reverse-sear so after seasoning and coming to room temperature, this got a little over an hour at 90 degrees, like expedited air drying, effectively… Then a seat on the big green egg.

Served with home made sauce, chips and carrots slow cooked in olive oil and garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Black Sheep, looks absolutely delish! how did you do those chips?!

Very straightforward- cut, parboil for 5 minutes and put on a preheated roasting tin in the oven.

For thinnish chips or wedges I do them at 200 and keep an eye on them, flipping once I’m sure they are no longer sticking. If they were thicker or full roasties I would do hotter.

I’ve used olive oil and salt in the tin usually but in this instance it was duck fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

All airfryer doing, well bar the sea beet!

• Advertisement

That's a great, free, tasty vegetable.

We collect some most years - but we call it sea spinach. Not too many people seem to know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Currently making a pot of chorizo and butterbean stew.

Really simple and tasty, I don't follow a recipe. One of my faves.

Free-range pork t-bone. Japanese white turnip, black garlic soy dressing. Turnip greens.

Also baked potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Looks very tasty. Where do you buy your free range pork, please?

O Mahony's, English Market, Cork.

Pricy but delicious.

Korean mince (whatever that means) and rice bowl type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A colleague and friend of mine was in Germany recently and brought me back some fresh white asparagus. I haven't had any in years, so I was beyond excited!

I made it with a simple hollondaise and buttery baby potatoes. The simplest of home cooking, something I've eaten countless times throughout my childhood, but it felt like I noticed the wonderful, delicate, beautiful flavours for the first time.

Scallops and prawns with black pudding and a lemon sauce

Duck breast with stuffing, sauce and gratin potatoes

Warm orange chocolate brownie with vanilla ice-cream

And no, I didn't cook any of it 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Care to tell us who/where did Woodchuck? 😉

Advertisement