Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

They're small-medium sized rooster potatoes. They probably look a little bigger in the photo than real-life! Maybe about 4 inches long.

The Tesco label describes them as chicken steaks 🤷🏻‍♀️😂 They look like chicken breasts that have been flattened and marinaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Woodchuck, looks gorgeous! You have skills!

I always wanted to try to do hassleback potatoes, but I assumed it was one of those pinterest tricks that look great, but doesn't work well irl.

(the only way I could ever post a meal pic, is if there was an "EPIC DINNER FAILS" thread - I could win that tournament)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

@woodchuck - awe ok - cool.. "The Tesco label describes them as chicken steaks 🤷🏻‍♀️😂 They look like chicken breasts that have been flattened and marinaded" are they nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

They are actually quite nice! We've gotten them a few times and just stick them in the oven, so really easy to cook. And because they're thin, it's a good marinade to meat ratio 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Rosti and crispy-runny eggs.

Grated the potato/onion, squeezed the liquid out. Chilled in the fridge, which helped a lot. Question though, do any of ye (I didn't) parboil your potatoes prior to grating by any chance? I've never really mastered them and while this lot looked nice they could have been a touch more soft in the centre. Curious as to if anyone has any tips.

• Advertisement

A german mate use to make em - grated raw potato, onion and carrot mixed with a beaten egg I think.. a little flour.. the carrot made cooking easier..

Yeah, probably should have mentioned, 1 beaten egg and 1-2 tsp flour and some baking soda. Never heard of the carrot before though. Huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes parboiling helps. As does squeezing the water out with a potato ricer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rosti:

Mostly, I grate raw potatoes, squeeze out liquid in a clean tea towel (really squeeze), add just salt and pepper. Oil and butter in a medium hot pan. Don't pack down the potato - leave it kinda loose. Use a plate to turn. The centre end up slightly gluey - I like this texture and contrast.

I've done it with cooked potatoes too, gives a slightly different texture centre. Must be fairly waxy potatoes, and cold - floury won't work.

I've never added flour, egg or anything other than herbs for rosti. You are into more potato pancake with those additions - nice - but not rosti.

I've made a lot of rosti over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ive been making American diner style hash a bit recently. Lovely weekend brekkie with bacon and a few eggs over easy.

Same method, just spread the grated spuds out thinly in the pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, hash browns, rosti, boxty, potato pancake - all very similar, really.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Delmonico salt aged sharing steak.

It was bang on the money. 👌

@awec i'm not a lover of red meat but this looks good - i could imagine it in a salad of roasted red peppers and lots of rocket and a nice balsamic dressing.. yum

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Korean chicken… No breadcrumb / Panko / deep fry this time. Very repetitive in what I’m cooking these days. Before kids I swear I was trying new recipes twice a week. Now I’m just like “meh”, what’s easy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm not a big lover of that style of red meat either, but that with noodles and oriental sauces and fresh salads, yes! @awec is your avatar a real photo of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Pretty sure it Duane Vermulen in the pic. South African rugby legend currently playing for Ulster. At 119kg I'm sure he would approve of the steak, less so the sharing part.

ha, it’s Duane Vermuelen as Patsy said.

119kg of prime South African beef, I’m pretty sure he’d be able to eat me.

Salt aged rack of lamb tonight.

4 cutlets each was not enough. This was the best lamb I’ve ever tasted. Literally like butter.

My folks live near Hannans meats in Moira (The Meat Merchant), and every time I go home I stock up. This was a recent purchase, incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Full squid from our local fish monger, was fantastic.

• Advertisement

How u cook it?

Marinated in olive oil, garlic and rosemary for 3/4 hours before cooking.

Sear on all sides in pan, then into the oven at 180 until it's ~65 degrees in the centre.

FXB rib eye. Underrated beef seller. They sell a lot of low end pre packed food but the beef still stacks up well.

Just picked up a nice bit of squid for tonight!!

Carne asada tacos with pico de gallo, guacamole, salsa.

The recipe for carne asada I just searched for suggested flank steak (USA?).

I'm not usually a steak eater, but what cut do you recommend @Black Sheep? Sirloin maybe? I've used that in the past for stir fries.

Flank steak / skirt steak is traditional (or so I read), but as you can see I used ribeyes from Aldi.

I have used flank before for something similar to this and it’s fine but it’s definitely not any better.

Sirloin would be good I’d say, I just tend not to go for it, personal preference. I like the higher fat content in a ribeye.

For this carne asada… Marinaded 3 steaks in a tray with salt, pepper, garlic and the juice of two limes for one hour (no more). Then blasted on a charcoal grill. Idiot proof. It’s the pico de gallo and sauce that lift it up.

Half a fakeaway, did the chicken kebabs at home and bought a bag if chips ha

• Advertisement

Forgot to post this for last night. Squid. Probably not everyone's cup of tea... ha ha

Advertisement