Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

More creative ways to use up leftovers - I had some lentil bolognese left, so cut a courgette in half lengthwise, scooped it out, rubbed olive oil and salt on it, baked it for 15 minutes, filled it with the bolognese, topped it with cheese and baked again.
    And used up some bread that was going out of date for croutons on the salad.

2820tft.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

That looks delicious! WANT!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks to global warming and inspiration from tHB :)
    You need an Oxford comma in there. I shall not be held accountable for global warming! ;)

Delighted that worked out for you. Sounds delish!

Had a wings & wedges night on Saturday - busy with DIY stuff, so needed a bung-in-the-oven / fire-&-forget kinda thing.

Sunday a family BBQ at my Bro's house. Had really amazing steaks from the butchers in Bettystown. Really awesome & apparently very reasonably priced too (for those who live in the area).

Monday was a consolation roast chicken dinner (The Kids need their weekly roast spud fix or else they get arsey).

Tuesday was a super soup made from Monday's leftovers & chunks of crusty baguette.

Having a few scoops tonight with some work pals, but I've been told there's a sausage sandwich waiting at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Lentil and butternut squash dahl with lots of parmesan and rocket on top. Delicious!

Lentil and butternut squash dahl with lots of parmesan and rocket on top. Delicious!

Dahl with parmesan? Intriguing - could you share that recipe?

• Advertisement

I kept it simple yesterday, I just made what I call "Mexican" soup. Tomato based soup with some roasted vegetables (courgettes, aubergines, onions, garlic, and lots of peppers), a bit of cumin and chili, all blended together and then some kidney beans and sweetcorn stirred through.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Shenshen wrote: »
    Dahl with parmesan? Intriguing - could you share that recipe?

I don't know to post a link. But if you search on the BBC Goodfood website for lentils and butternutsquash you will find it. I'm always deviating from recipes so I made this with bacon stock, some chillis and then added the parmesan and rocket. It's even tastier on the second day! Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Here's the one I have used.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/red-lentil-squash-dhal

But as a meat eater I have added chicken to it. Soz!:(

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Here's the one I have used.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/red-lentil-squash-dhal

But as a meat eater I have added chicken to it. Soz!:(

Not to worry - I'm really mostly intrigued by the idea of adding parmesan to it, tbh. The recipe isn't too dissimilar to the one I'd use. I might give it a try with Italian fusion next time I make it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Monday was baked potatoes with butter
    Tuesday was roast lamb, with veggies, baked potatoes and gravy.
    Weds was pasta
    Thurs was duck (griddled, then finished in the oven) with baked potatoes and veg.
    Yesterday was fish and chips, well, it was a late lunch/early dinner, it was fabulous.

No idea what tonight will be. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

We had chicken thighs roasted in the oven with nothing on them except good old salt and pepper, served up with mashed potatoes, gravy from the chicken, and chargrilled corn on the cob, cooked in the cast iron skillet.

No photo's though. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

We had chicken thighs roasted in the oven with nothing on them except good old salt and pepper, served up with mashed potatoes, gravy from the chicken, and chargrilled corn on the cob, cooked in the cast iron skillet.

Weird question but I have beem given a new cast irom skillet as a gift? How did you season yours? I know I am meant to do this.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Weird question but I have beem given a new cast irom skillet as a gift? How did you season yours? I know I am meant to do this.

I got mine prob six years ago, so this is from memory.

Wipe the inside with a kitchen towel soaked in veritable oil, then place in the oven on a lowish heat for a few hours. Then let it cool naturally.

Every time you use the skillet from then on you're seasoning it more and more. Mine is practically non stick, I use it once a month or so.

Mine is exactly like the one in the picture attached here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I made a veggie pad Thai. I don't know how authentic it was but I got the recipe from a lovely book which uses all pretty normal ingredients. I often find with cook books that some of the recipes involve unusual (to me) or very expensive ingredients. Because I'm not very confident in my cooking ability I shy away from spending too much on things I am unsure how to use. So it's lovely to have a book where most things are included in my weekly shop anyway. We've challenged ourselves to do one recipe a week from it, chosen randomly.

It went together in 10 mins, no one flavour overpowered the others and I think it was healthy enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Veggie friends round again yesterday so we had an aubergine lasagne served with crunchy crotons and salad.

95A19CBD-4595-4BB4-BB89-23E979738E47_zpsji68oe4l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

On Friday I was in
    Chapelizod in that new(ish) Australian themed bar cum restaurant right in the village. Late afternoon, practically evening so it was dinner not lunch.

Started with chilli beef nachos. gorgeous
    WP_20170407_18_10_08_Pro_zpsz0k1a26o.jpg

and then, pork cheek, I think it was. Delicious. And broke apart. Wonderfully done.

WP_20170407_18_29_32_Pro_zpstu0qu5it.jpg

during the week at home I made gratin dauphinoise and roast potatoes, each once. (have to be quick with the camera, usually gets wolfed down!)
    WP_20170404_20_09_50_Pro_zpsbir5sfqr.jpg

I did a good bit of cooking over the weekend - started Friday with a bean goulash (mixed beans with carrots, turnip, and red peppers in a spicy paprika sauce)
    Saturday it was some homemade pizzas, which I made between baking chocolate and caramel muffins and cooking a really nice pineapple, mango and rum jam
    And finally yesterday I made burritos filled with my version of arroz con frijoles (or just rice and beans to me and you ;) )

And while I managed for overeat on every single dish, I've still got leftovers for lunches for this week. Not to mention muffins and jars of jam :D

Last night was griddled chicken that I'd marinated in herbs, spices and lime juice, had it in baps with salad and some home made chunky chips. Was delicious.

Tonight is lamb cutlets, veg and baked spuds.

Mid-week, and not much time between coming home from work, going for a swim (I think that seal is following me around again), and Bake Off Creme de la Creme, so I just made some egg fried rice, broccoli and mangetout fried with garlic and spring rolls.

It was yum, particularly with a good bit of sweet chili sauce drizzled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Made seasame coated chicken salad with an Asian dressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I posted this in the AH thread. It's simple, dumplings in tomato. I was surprised at how tasty they were as they don't look appetising.

2gy62qf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Fried gnocci, salmon, mushrooms, broccoli, and spinach in a cheesy sauce.

photo%201%201_zpsrwqvoc29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Last night: Buffalo mac & cheese with peppered pork medallions.

17903520_10155997891457678_2016000879907531837_n.jpg?oh=44d1de6d2d3dba3d64185db75aecddb0&oe=59986B48

Night before:

Coriander beef

17862776_10155989606172678_3262681698438954369_n.jpg?oh=b8efe839a40b1a035c9197862c22aa9f&oe=5992C0D1

Tonight we're going to my mam's, who's a ledge of a woman, but cooking is not one of her many wonderful attributes, so god knows what we're getting.

Had meatballs (beef) made with a chilli con carne style tomato sauce, with chargrilled jalapenos and bulgar wheat with a cinnamon and lemon dressing.

EEKLVf.jpg

Pics don't do it justice, it was delicious.

Quick and easy too., and all made from scratch.

Today was Rack of Lamb, spuds, veg and gravy.

Lamb was gorgeous, bloody expensive at €20 though :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had roast belly pork with roasties and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lemony chicken courgetti.

17952024_10156010422082678_3457531826341939370_n.jpg?oh=b6b9ade75fa60584495036319e7cd678&oe=59930ADA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

First go at cooking an Indian meal tonight. Chicken bhuna with boiled rice and shop bought Garlic and coriander nan

Green chillies, fresh ginger, onions, garlic, turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, water, tomatoes, cumin, coriander :D

Cleared plates all around so was quite happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Fritatta: gnocchi, broccoli, mushrooms. I had cheese, Himself had onions.

photo_zpsmnmjlhk9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Homemade sweet potato fries with cajun turkey steak, grilled portobello mushroom and broccoli roasted with parmesean and garlic

Advertisement