Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Smoked Mackerel Pilau Rice

FA049A95-A953-4093-84E3-E2F3ED87A18C_zpsbgqs9gxv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The latest in my 'what can I put avocado and fried eggs on' series: Sweet potato.

photo%201_zpsyiuovvfp.jpg

I have learned that despite what Pinterest claims you cannot cook slices of sweet potato in the toaster. I've also discovered that I do not enjoy eating the skin.

Still loving basted eggs though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Last night: steak with lime & garlic butter, baked baby spuds with cottage cheese and the ubiquitous spinach salad:

18010783_10156021682042678_3890666783391394062_n.jpg?oh=12a45cbc5cd6a60abecc469ccef50932&oe=59503C58

Night before:

Turkey burgers with wild garlic pesto, little gem & Franksy yoghurt and sweet potato fries:

18010195_10156021682127678_63817570872243439_n.jpg?oh=751b32f5af4cfafa9739aaa09d4845ad&oe=5996D53A

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Roasted peppers stuffed with a filling of quinoa, scallion, garlic, spinach, olives, cucumber and feta, mixed with oregano and passata and drizzled with olive oil. Side of sweet potato fries and sweet chilli mayonnaise. Very tasty and super cheap to make.

The only picture I took was of the toddlers plate which looked like some sort of modern art installation so I won't be sharing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As I eat my main meal at lunchtime it is my dinner ;)

Today, a whole panfried plaice and some Caesar salad... There was a fish van in one village I drove through yesterday with a special of a whole plaice for E1.... not had this for ... decades, and very different from my usual frozen fish ;) Delicate and tender and a good size ....

The Caesar salad was reduced at Dunnes; grand price of 5 cents...

Different!

• Advertisement

Pork kheema. I love this dish, it's on the table in 20 minutes. Having it again tonight and it'll be even nicer after a day doing its thang in the pot.

17951620_10156021304777678_3711178792037076082_n.jpg?oh=6d18c7783e1f3a2bdca23ec10c1b8d1e&oe=5994E313

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken with mashed potatoes and carrot & swede mash.

sqh3ps.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Cottage pie topped with a sweet potato and turnip mash and a side salad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Roast chicken with mashed potatoes and carrot & swede mash.

Want!

Sad dinner at our house tonight: bagels and cream cheese. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Want!

Sad dinner at our house tonight: bagels and cream cheese. :)

Awww! Today is a new day! I never took to bagels. The one time I bought them even the greedy omnivorous collie refused them and took them off to bury...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Quick and simple mid-week meal - pasta bake with all the vegetables that needed using up (carrots, broccoli, spring onions, mangetouts and sweetcorn) an cheesy sauce (as the cheese needed using up, too).
    Not much to look at, but really yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

We had dinner out yesterday, I had fish and chips, it was divine.

Tonight is roast lamb, veg, baked potatoes and gravy. I cannot wait.

Vegetable Stir fry. Veggies used were spinach, onion, carrot and bean sprouts. Sauce of ginger, garlic, lime, honey, chilli and soy. With wholewheat noodles and topped with sesame seeds, toasted hazelnuts and coriander.

I used to hate stir fries, they were always soggy and tasteless but I'm really getting the hang of them now. I love how quickly they're done. I found that using sesame oil makes a huge difference!

Oh and I recently got noodle cooking tips on this thread and I can finally do them now after years of mushy stuck together noodles.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

2 racks of ribs, smoked on my new Kamado Joe. 4 hours at about 200 degrees. And I ate both of them. Mmmmmm.

^ Speaking of ribs......

Bought five racks of ribs yesterday and marinated them overnight in Sparks' pulled pork dry rub (with added brown sugar).

Followed this cooking method http://allrecipes.com/video/450/how-to-make-baked-bbq-baby-back-ribs/?internalSource=amp&referringContentType=amp%20recipe&clickId=amp_watch_button

The BBQ sauce was just your bog-standard sauce you find on the interweb - ketchup, Worcester sauce, white wine vinegar and soft brown sugar all heated together. Make lots, you may need it, if you don't, it will keep.

Slow cooked in foil/roasting bag for two hours at 120c.

Then brushed in the BBQ sauce and returned to the hot oven for ten mins. Out and then brushed again.

Turns out our guests were an hour late. So I had to brush the ribs again and again with sauce 6 times.

The most amazing ribs ever! As agreed by ten people round the table!

Served with loaded potato skins with cheese and bacon. Also coleslaw and roasted mushrooms with goats cheese.

I love food, I love cooking. Turning out stunning food that impressed everyone is just the best. :)

CB399EFB-A137-4721-844F-6A0E3AC3FF9F_zpsj68repec.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

They look way better than mine. Ill copy you next time.

beertons wrote: »
    They look way better than mine. Ill copy you next time.

Don't give up hope just yet!

I haven't got the spare cash yet but when I do, a good smoker is nearly top of the list.
    Just the layering and layering of the BBQ sauce in a hot oven on already cooked ribs turned them stunning. A smokey layer would have sent them through the roof! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I made the loveliest dinner today, it actually looked so good as well as tasting amazing, I wish I'd taken a photo!

Basically a casserole made up of chicken and chorizo, simmered in passata, with some spices and looooooads of veg. (Onions, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, spinach, etc.) Then put into a casserole dish, layered with lots of big flat slices of courgette and looooads of cheese, and finished off in the oven. Served with garlic bread.

It really was amazing ... I ate too much though, and have a serious food baby going on now! :D (Although it was actually all quite healthy, apart from the garlic bread!)

Bit of a treat this evening. Smokey and spicy chilli beans, in a wrap with cheddar and coriander with a side of fresh guacamole, Greek yoghurt and jalapeños. Washed down with a desperado tequila beer.

Crap photos; I was too hungry both nights to compose decent ones.

Last night: cheat's pizza (i.e. flour tortilla base and very cheaty sauce of passata mixed with wild garlic pesto) with the last of my scamorza on it.

18057858_10156035451997678_718755414413998528_n.jpg?oh=b9f86f6dfb97aae7cf925998401a36bb&oe=59836534

Night before: pot-roasted chicken with toasted sourdough

18033805_10156035451762678_8915124010448866697_n.jpg?oh=3d402e86ef3c39fc6d8a38fefe54915b&oe=59907E9C

• Advertisement

Pizzas three - a margarita, a pepperoni and a chicken with sweet corn and pesto.....

5F18578C-6A0C-443D-BA77-75F1384DBE18_zps0jme4jpk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Don't know what you'd call this, but it was delicious! Basically pork and beef mince simmered in a passata sauce, with tonnes of veggies and some spices. Then layered with grilled courgette and tomato, and lots of cheddar and mozzarella. Soooo good!

256wpir.jpg

Garlic paprika potato cubes, hummus and a toasted wrap with grilled peppers, olives, tomato and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I made a big batch of parmigiana di melanzane :

2qwpsnl.jpg

Took a few hours, but oh so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Baked Tomato & Cheese Conchiglioni served with Crusty Croutons

Wading through this thread looking for inspiration for something to cook in my new kitchen and new oven and think I've found it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Finally made risotto from scratch. Didn't think it was so quick and easy!! Fried the rice in butter , added chicken stock , let it thicken, repeat 3 times... Added mushrooms and a sprinkle of parmesan and finito! Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Quick picture before I eat it all.. Also had 'bruschetta'... Dunne's 50 c seed ciabatta, with peppers, onions, olive oil and cheese :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

No photos, because my parent in-laws joined me for dinner this evening, but I made chicken with chorizo and chickpea stew.

Dry fried the chorizo cut into "coins" until it browned slightly and released its oil, and then removed from the pan and set aside.

Fried a large onion chopped into chunks in the chorizo oil, added a tin of drained and rinsed chickpea, and a can of tomatoes.

Then in a separate pan, I fried some chicken thighs (skin removed) with salt and pepper and some smoked paprika.

Combined everything in the slow cooker pot.

Threw in a chicken stock melt and some quartered (skin left on) spuds. Cooked on low setting for eight hours.

Had some leftover pizza sauce so we had pasta and mozzarella with fresh basil

0E6F5205-092B-4222-9080-4F24FF2BA36F_zpscm4o4hbq.jpg

• Advertisement

Just about to tuck into pasta with roasted broccoli, peppers and tomatoes, tossed in garlic oil with oregano. Smells great.

Advertisement