Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Do you all make gourmet meals every day?

I feel like such a slug.

What will I have for dinner? Rice Krispies most likely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I never make gourmet meals.

It can be hard to be motivated to cook if you're cooking for one. I know I find it difficult.

Take a leaf out of Nigella's book and treat yourself from time to time. A nice fillet steak. A good burger. A lovely bowl of soup noodles and veggies. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not sure about gourmet but yeah, I have to make a meal everyday. Or else pay someone else to feed us. Parenthood, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Got dragged into catering in my mothers house for her party of 13. One of the Thai chicken noodle soup starters. Went down well, happily enough.

Got a bit of beef brisket, which is hard enough to find (presumably because it all gets turned into corned beef in the republic) in Aldi. Slow cooked it in beef stock with some onions and carrots and then gave it a quick sear on a hot pan before serving with home made gravy, roasties, peas, and carrot and parsnip mash. It was lovely. I'm still stuffed.

I shredded the leftovers to use in tortillas tomorrow night with home made salsa, guac and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

gee - surely not? you must be so run down eh?

not gourmet but we cook.. meat/fish/protein or some sort, veg, carb etc...

wow that looks divine.. but i'd swap the blue cheese mayo for some garlic... yum yum.. hmm

just had a savoury mince dinner with loads of cracked black pepper tonight - stuffed but happy... craving cracked black pepper these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Simplest thing, a Thai Red and Peanut curry (made with red curry paste and peanut butter).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

What do you consider gourmet? I'd usually make a hot dinner every day, but I wouldn't consider it gourmet. It's often easy stuff like a stir fry or a chicken breast with potatoes and veg. Healthy, but nothing fancy.

I hope you don't eat breakfast cereal for dinner regularly. There's plenty of people here to advise about simple but healthy meals/recipes. Take care of yourself!

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Monday - Thursday dinner is convenience over style here. Usually things that can go in the oven, or quick to cook like stir fry.

At the weekend I'd put in more effort. Sometimes make a pot of something for during the week, like yesterday I made stew which will do 2 dinners during the week.

• Advertisement

Everything you mentioned and everything I've seen on here. Seriously well done, all!

Thanks Woodchuck, but I am well used to my eating habits by now, it's no big deal - was just a wonderment is all.

The food looks brilliant and good to know everyone is being well fed regularly :)

Some of the curry from Sunday's thing, yesterday ... tastier today as per tradition.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I had a beef curry made in the slow cooker made from a boredoflunch instagram recipe. It was very easy to prep but tasted a little bland in the end. I had forgotten to add the garlic cloves (4 cloves) and just threw in some garlic granules with the other ingredients instead so that may have been why. I'll make it again another time with the garlic and with the right amount of liquid, I put in a little extra so the sauce ended up a bit more runny than it should have been. I thought 150mls sounds liked very little but I was wrong! All in all, not bad, will definitely try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been doing a really nice tofu dinner lately with a Korean tofu Mrs beer has become very fond of.

The tofu is just sliced in two and fried a little, then dressed. I serve it with plain rice and streamed tenderstem broccoli.

On the plate, cover the tofu with some crushed, roasted, salted peanuts. Then spoon over the dressing.

Dressing: juice of a lime, same amount of elderflower cordial, a chopped clove of garlic, dash of fish sauce and soy sauce, some fermented red chillies and lots of fresh chopped coriander.

Just pile the coriander and chillies on the tofu and spoon the liquid over.

Will think of taking a pic next time.

Will you believe me this is vegetarian? 😆

These are soya chunks, souvlaki-style with vegetable rice and tsatsiki. And yes, utterly, utterly delicious.

Tried to blur my manky computer desk, but didn't work out. Ah well. Chickpeas and rice with some garlic oil, surprisingly nice for it being so simple.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ah, was never really a fan of TVP mince, but can the chunks be marinated?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nothing homemade here, just supermarket stuff. Distinctly non gourmet.

Breaded fish, mushy peas, potato gratin, some type of pickle.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Advertisement

They need to be.

I agree on the mince, it's pretty much just texture without flavour. The chunks seem a bit different - I had marinaded them in a a little stock, dark soy sauce, paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, dried oregano, garlic powder and onion powder. It took maybe 20 minutes for them to go tender (they come out of the pack bone dry and hard). I then pan-fried them on a high heat for a maybe 2 minutes, then added the rest of the marinade with a tsp of honey and let that reduce down.

I've not eaten meat in over 10 years, so I couldn't say if that would fool anyone, but even if it wouldn't it was really tasty.

I read up on TVP, I really quite like that it's simply a by-product of making soybean oil. So waste not, want not. 😉

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Brown lamb neck stew with lemon and black pepper suet dumplings. Served with runner beans.

Fennel and apple salad with some parmesan and hazelnuts.

Side note, I bought 5kg of basmati rice there from the Asian online store. It'll keep, handy to have and cheaper than buying smaller. Upon delivery, realised what I ordered actually was:

... Sh*t.

Post edited by Deja Boo on

Condolences, I feel your pain!

I quite like brown rice, generally, but any brown Basmati I tried tasted just absolutely awful! Mind you, I once bought a big bag of rice from the Asian shop and once home found it was sticky rice... There's only so much rice desserts I can stomach.

Chilli tonight, made with a mixture of leftover brisket, beef mince and black beans. We had it over some air fryer chips with melted cheese on top. No time for a photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Advertisement

Advertisement