Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

I had KFC. I have it very occasionally. I like it. It does not like me. Currently resembling an overweight beached whale. However, I cannot give up their gravy, drizzled over a mini fillet burger.

But the chips were dreadful. Skin on, no flavour.

Is this a recent change?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I found the same. Also a serious lack of salt in their batter and chips.

Cabbage, mushroom, pork mince, some Vietnamese sweet spicy dressing herself found on BBC good food. Thought it would be a bit sweet, but it was rather tasty along with quick and easy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The boneless banquet is the way to go with KFC. 3 chicken strips and popcorn chicken with the gravy and chips.

The chips are crap, but the gravy makes them edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Last night, I was feeling tired and lazy so had spicy wedges done in the airfryer, half a tin of baked beans and a fried egg.

Tonight, it's beef chilli stir fry with mexican veg. Maybe on it's own, maybe in a wrap, depends on the hunger levels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Come to Cork @Recliner and go to Hillbilly's.

The chicken has a lovely black pepper coating and good gravy to go with it. Way better than KFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No need, we have them in Dublin. But you’re right, Hillbillies is better than KFC.

Fried chicken burgers with the homemade fermented spicy honey I mentioned in another thread. The fermented honey is far nicer than the infused version which is borderline inedible, and was lovely on the chicken burger. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Lamb and potato curry. I usually prefer a creamy curry, but this was delish. 5 hours in the slow cooker, meat was melty. And plenty for the freezer for another day.

What I thought was thai curry paste in the freezer turned out to be just regular curry paste. Still, lemongrass, fish sauce, palm sugar, lime leaves and coconut milk made it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

hmm love thai curry.. red in particular.. can smell the lemon grass and lime from here.. hmm.. i'm sure it was nice..

Aul one was over for dinner today. Some Lidl beef done sous vide (that an absolutely outrageous amount of water came out of during cooking, really odd, makes me wonder if the sous-vide bag was defective), dauphinoise and some veg. Dauphinoise was slightly under and the leeks were very overdone but it was very tasty all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A bit of a "I need to use this before it goes off" dish. I had tomatoes and mozzarella, and had already made pizzas the day before. So I tried a tomato and mozzarella risotto, with some balsamic roasted tomatoes. Turned out not half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had chicken and leek stew with steamed suet dumplings. I never understand why dumplings and puddings seem to have so little popularity in Ireland. I love them. These were just with black pepper and a little wild leek in them. I'll often put lemon zest, and/or thyme, too.

And, sorry, Soorina, I didn't photograph the chicken and leek stew 😜

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Beef Satay noodles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,194 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Cottage pie for the day that's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A traditional Sunday dinner ..

Thick slices of succulent ham...

Mashed potatoes... flavourful cabbage.. mashed carrot and turnip, Gravy of course... delicious...

Yep. Supervalu does it again! All for E4.99.. hassle free Sunday dinner! Oh they use white sauce but I love gravy

Fell down some stairs and hurt my knee, so I can't stand for long periods of time. So dinner had to be something quick and simple, but I really wanted something warming and satisfying, too. We decided a vegetable satay would tick all the boxes, and it did!

• Advertisement

@Shenshen oh gosh - hope your knee is ok

Getting better daily, thanks! It was just bruised and I think a muscle was strained. I need to learn to watch where I'm going 😅

I was going to do a salmon and broccoli rice bowl ... but then I sorted out a load of things I've been putting on the long finger for a few months, so reward myself I'm getting an Eddie Rockets. They're overpriced for sure, but they're nice enough burgers. Screw the rest of the menu.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had home made pizza tonight, followed by cinnamonny apple crumble and custard. I used xylitol to replace the sugar (gestational diabetes). It tasted great, but interestingly the crumble topping never got crispy because the xylitol so heat stable. Still, there were flaked almonds for crunch and it was really good.

I find that adding some breadcrumbs can make a crumble turn out ok when using xylitol.

But it is a real bugger when trying to make pastry, unfortunately 😒

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

That's a great tip, thank you. I tend not to make sweet pastry except probably for mince pies at Christmas...by which time I hope to be back on the real stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Irish Stew last night. I effing love Irish Stew.

Lamb shoulder, carrot, onion, celery, pearl barley, potato, thyme, salt, pepper and lager (controversial). Lots of fresh chopped parsley to serve.

I rarely ever post pics on here but I thought I would do so this eve as when this was plated, it just smelt soo good.. and perfect for a cold day like today.. Chicken Stew.. (twas made on Sunday so smelt and tasted even better today).. Chicken breast, olives, mushrooms, onion, garlic, some chopped up blacky ham (which really transformed this dish).. white wine, herbs and stock.. oh and some tomato puree.. served with various garden veg.. he had spuds too.. twas delicious... PS: had some sourdough bread for mopping up the juices..

Some chicken wings that I accidentally left in a yoghurt, Indian-tandoori-esque spice mix and lemon juice marinade for four days. Thought they might be iffy texture wise, but other than an extra bit of tang they were grand. We'll know soon enough if they're going to give us the sh*ts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love Blacky ham! Never thought of using it in a dish like this though, lovely! This kind of chicken stew I would love, especially with the olives and wine going on, yum! 😋

Having a potato and oregano omelette with chicken salad this evening.

Advertisement