Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    Himself cooked sweet potato balls with roasted cherry tomatoes and cauliflower and garlic mushrooms and spinach.

What's in those sweet potato balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    What's in those sweet potato balls?

One medium baked sweet potato, half tin butter beans, half a small red onion, thyme, s & p. each ball is approx 1 tbsp in size. Then bunged in the oven for 30mins.

kylith wrote: »
    One medium baked sweet potato, half tin butter beans, half a small red onion, thyme, s & p. each ball is approx 1 tbsp in size. Then bunged in the oven for 30mins.

Thanks! That does sound like something I'd want to give a try, I'll let you know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Lunch really but it was home made salad sandwiches - lettuce, ham, tomato, egg mayonnaise, onions, cucumber, scallion and white bread. Hard to keep the two pieces together.
    That'll do me for the day but for the rest of them - boiled ham, cabbage, potato, cauliflower and gravy. Mmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    Thanks! That does sound like something I'd want to give a try, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Hope you enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My butcher had pork belly on special, so got a good-sized slab with the skin separate for crackling. I marinaded the belly in 5 spice, mirin, soy, honey & lots of ginger & chilli for a few hours, then slow roasted for 5 hours (basting occasionally in fat & marinade).

While the belly was resting I whacked up the oven & threw the skin in (dusted in 5 spice & a good dose of salt) to make crackling.

I served the lot with stir fry veg & noodles dressed in the remaining marinade.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My first time making pulled pork and it won't be the last! Used the slow cooker and did it overnight. Then made a crunchy coleslaw for the side and a corn on the cob :D
    zjd8x78.jpg?1

Still keeping it simple but nice. We had a mushrooms and pea risotto, with homemade focaccia filled with roasted peppers.

292uqm0.jpg

And soon, we'll have a yummy bakewell tart for pudding

5x7sp3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Had a big brekkie and a big lunch so a light dinner of leftover lentil marinara in a pitta, with cheddar, toasted in the airfryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Pesto roasted butternut squash. The filling was divine - onions, cherry tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, bacon, pesto and feta. The actual squash itself was nice but I don't know, I just find butternut squash in general a bit meh!

At the weekends my kids go to their dad's house so unless I have company I tend to cook for just myself, which can be challenging so I usually end up cooking two portions and freezing one. In this case it seemed pointless to freeze the extra filling so I ate it instead:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

. I marinaded the belly in 5 spice, mirin, soy, honey & lots of ginger & chilli for a few hours.

I was similar in that I had pork belly slices marinated in ginger, garlic, chilli and soy sauce. I made a honey soy sauce to pour over egg fried rice and stirfried peppers onions and spinach. It was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was griddled chicken in wraps with salad.

Tonight is steak, veg, baked spuds and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Last night was gf food from beshoffs, so chips, calamari, onion rings and goujons

Tonight was prawn green curry which was meh! Bought a paste and I didn't like it, used the recommended amount from the container and it blew my head so started again, the second one suited everyone but me! Lesson, just make my own paste!

Tonight was my best beef curry yet- made from scratch, homemade naan bread and basmati rice. Made extra portions for the freezer which I am delighted about because it was so nice. Curries and stir fries are always a creative affair where I add loads of things and don't measure/ remember so it is often hard to replicate things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Tonight was my best beef curry yet- made from scratch, homemade naan bread and basmati rice. Made extra portions for the freezer which I am delighted about because it was so nice. Curries and stir fries are always a creative affair where I add loads of things and don't measure/ remember so it is often hard to replicate things.

How did you make the naan bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Roast stuffed chicken, roasties and gravy (cheated with the veg!)

t7daj9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Still on a mission to empty my presses and fridge, and combined with me being home alone, I came up with the following concoction

(see attached)

That is what you can achieve with very few ingredients. minced beef, mixed in some taco spice mix, and pan fried it with a little bit of harissa paste, some grilled peppers (from a jar) and a few chopped scallions and a tiny splash of pasatta.

The side dish is the result of pulsing some cauliflower in the processor until it resembles rice/couscous, which I pan fried with some fresh lemon juice, and a sprinkle of paprika.

All in all, was a pretty decent meal, I was happy with it. Never had the cauliflower served like that before (but definitely will again) it was like eating a nutty rice.

The kitchen looks like a bomb went off in it now, due to the cauliflower blitzing, but apart from that, quick and easy meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I made sesame crusted chickem tonight. Actually read the recipe right and put a teaspoon of chilli rather than a tablespoon so mouth is not quite on fire. Served it with roasted veg. Not ideal but felt I should use the oven when it was on (or wanted to sit out in the sun!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Steak, home made chips, peas and baked mushrooms.

How did you make the naan bread?

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
    Melt the butter and add milk to make it warm (not hot). I used a pot for more control but you can do the microwave.
    Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients.
    Add yoghurt.
    Knead for 5 mins on floured surface.
    Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
    Cut into four even sizes. Roll them out into your desired size. They won't really rise that much.
    I fried them for a minute or so either side in a dry non stick pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Tofu and veg stir fry. I almost killed my husband with the spice haha. I threw in two chopped chillis towards the end of cooking and obviously I didn't work them in enough to spread the spice. He seemed to get it all in one or two forkfuls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I made garlic spaghetti.

Shallow fried 12 garlic cloves thinly sliced with half a bird's eye chilli and a green chilli.

Then threw in fresh basil, spinach and cooked spaghetti and mixed it and covered it in parmesan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chicken katsu curry and rice tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Here's what the missus had for dinner tonight and I did prep and cook job.

Fried Chicken fillet in Tex's spice with a side salad dressed in a white wine vinegar. Chips and Garlic mayo on the side too! I ate out at work.

20170504_191643.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

QKDZJDvoZY4p5Pwn9After having a week off from cooking, spent in Lopud, I was mad to get back in the kitchen. Made a chicken diavola, with macaroni. Needs more garlic, but was very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lidls minute steaks, peppercorn sauce and mash. Am so full not sure I have space for the magnum in the freezer but I'll chance it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

beertons wrote: »
    QKDZJDvoZY4p5Pwn9After having a week off from cooking, spent in Lopud, I was mad to get back in the kitchen. Made a chicken diavola, with macaroni. Needs more garlic, but was very tasty.

Fix that link man, I need to see this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Fix that link man, I need to see this!

Copy and go to.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

416587.jpgChicken Diavola with macaroni.

• Advertisement

Saturday, I made chickpea cevapcici, with some couscous with peppers, tomatoes and spring onions, and ajvar sauce :

2rc0vpt.jpg

And yesterday, I made sweet potato balls filled with feat and rolled in chopped hazelnuts (kylith gave me the idea - thank you! :)) with pasta in a white wine, cream and sage sauce and some peas :

2quhsfm.jpg

Advertisement