Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'll tell you where I got them when I stock up😉

They take about 2 or three hours of simmering, in my experience.

Before covid, Soba had a really good mostly soup noodle menu, including beef tendon soup. It was a really really good menu. Unfortunately, they have changed to doing Japanese and Thai food now. I don't have an Asian restaurant that I'm crazy about at the moment, alas.

When cooked and hot, tendon is pure jelly collagen gelatine kind of texture - soft but still with structure. Cold, it has a really interesting firm, chewy texture that softens as it warms in your mouth. Great with a vinegar soy chilli coriander dressing. And the stock/soup you get from it would almost stick your lips together. I love it😊 Not for everyone, I guess, and even a good Irish butcher might struggle to know exactly what you want.

I need to text my butcher (that soup was the last of my last batch of tendon soup)!

Grilled chicken and tomatoes, wet polenta and fried kale with garlic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Apologies, I said Bovril but I actually meant Marmite!

You prep the roast potatoes how you normally wood... For me I pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees, then I dice and parboil the potatoes. I quarter the potato because I want more surface area that's crispy.

After 5 mins parboiling I drain the potatoes.

Heat 2 tbsp of Marmite in a small pan, and when it's more liquid in consistently then just crosshatch it on top of the potatoes and toss them to mix.

Preheat a tray with some oil, in the oven, and when ready pop the potatoes in to roast.

That's a fantastic idea!

I've only ever cooked picanha whole.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Had a few people over for a bbq yesterday. Korean wings, Mac & cheese, grilled corn, patatas Bravas, drunken beans, sliders, grilled peach panzanella salad, courgette ribbon salad with Parmesan and toasted pine nuts, and a roasted beetroot, goats cheese and walnut salad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

“Shellfire” paella 😀.

(for the day that’s in it 😬)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Maybe the concept was better than the execution. Still, it tasted very good to me.

Baked cod, spinach and freekeh.

The freekeh was mixed with wild garlic pesto, green olives, preserved lemons and hazelnuts.

Unfortunately I either overcooked or added too much water to the freekeh.

Still very tasty but not the texture that I wanted.

Also, the cod fell apart a bit. Had to cook it longer than I thought to get the internal temperature right

Be a shame not to finish the shellfish,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

@TheKBizzle please - can we be friends?

• Advertisement

That chicken looks great... Where could I buy chicken legs like that? They look so big!

And you just grill them? I think I could airfry maybe...

Thats a whole chicken.

Yup, did it on the gas grill/bbq.

Sure thing. Don’t worry about cake, I had a giant carrot cake and basque cheesecake too for that bbq that didn’t make the photo 😃

Sicilian style Pizza. Margherita/pepperoni, Potato & rosemary / spinach & artichoke

Middle Eastern vibe, but with Nordic rye bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

@TheKBizzle I think you shud have a boardsiefanbased soiree.. i'll bring drinks.. and a blue tooth speaker

Chicken with flatbread and salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Asian type crispy beef. Fish sauce, lime, chili, soy. Much nicer to mince your own striploin steaks if you can.

Tesco finest sausages, mash, sauerkraut.

Nothing to look at but delicious.

Aubergine Omlette.

• Advertisement

Beef tendon noodle soup, again 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Some roast pork with plum marinated in soy, garlic, rice vinegar, ginger, etc. Carrot, chard and green beans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm still here, lurking around and checking people are behaving themselves (although I know Gloom is on the case too :D).

I'm in a very busy season and don't have a lot of time to post - in a few weeks the new mini mystery egg will be arriving and what with minding the other mini egg and working in this heat I'm flat out!

But anyway hello. Keep cooking and sharing your fabulous meals. :)

Tonight we had a slow cooked rib of beef in the most beautiful gravy, roasted carrots, potatoes and asparagus, and mash... Divine. No pictures because we are complete savages.

Congrats to you and your family on the pending new arrival, Egg!

Spicy chickpea soup/stew with a few lentils and chard thrown in. Mash up of a few recipes online, but spice base is some homemade ras el hanout. Not a very summery dish, but very comfort foody.

Partner is off having a takeaway with some of her girlfriends, so cooking something I love but she'd hate.

I love this type of soup. Sounds almost like a harira 😋

(Speaking of harira, this recipe introduces to me an ingredient I had not heard of before. Smen. Yes, I was careful to spell that correctly.)

Chicken skewers with pilau rice and broccoli cooked in a harrisa tomato sauce.

That does sound rather like it alright. I am now intrigued by this smen you mention. Going to go bother an Algerian friend or two of mine, see if they'll tell me about it.

Feesh and Newcastle Guacamole 😀

No pics but had beef tendon the other way last night. The tendon is thinly sliced, cold, and put in a dressing of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic chillies and coriander. Had braised yellow courgettes and rice with it. Yum.

• Advertisement

Advertisement