Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had Chinese Fakeaway :)
    Beef in black bean sauce, and breaded chicken fillets with sliced onions & red peppers in sweet chilli sauce. It was so much nicer than takeaway.

zko30l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    And yesterday, I made sweet potato balls filled with feat and rolled in chopped hazelnuts (kylith gave me the idea - thank you! :)) with pasta in a white wine, cream and sage sauce and some peas :

Hope you enjoyed them!

Last night Himself made burrito, taco kinda things: leftover rice, mushrooms, courgette, kidney bean, and tomato, in wraps. 'Twas a bit bland, but he admits he didn't taste it before serving. At least he's willing to learn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I made a big bowl of vegetable korma last night with brown basmati rice.

Beef and broccoli. It was horrifically salty, probably because I only had regular soy sauce.

photo_zpsgopjpmiq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I roasted a smoked gammon joint with a honey glaze, and had a few slices along with mashed spuds and buttery spinach.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yesterday, the wok was filled with diced pork loin, loads of veg and finished off with a soy, sugar and peanut butter mix. Tasted amazing, but looked like muck. So no pic.

Today was burgers on the bbq. And experimented with mushrooms. Took out the stalk bits, chopped them up with red onion, pancheta and garlic. Fried that up, and spooned it onto the mushrooms. Put them on the high rack on the bbq, so they kinda roasted. Yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Garlic spaghetti again with grilled asparagus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Attempting fish pie tonight! haven't been here in ages... got the recipe off bord bia..

using just salmon though.
    (poaching the fish in milk,onion and pepper) then adding a butter/flour mixture, lemon and parsley, then spreading over cheesy mash. hope it turns out okay! anyone any tips?

Green tea salmon, coconut rice, green veg with a miso/lemon/coriander sauce. Gotta love Jamie Oliver sometimes, and this one actually can be cooked in about 15 minutes.

Have a load of the rice left over though. Any ideas what to use it with? Would it be any good with Butternut squash soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made singapore noodles last night. Really tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

2a9xxcg.jpg

Lentil and bean chilli with brown rice and quinoa, avocado, jalapeños and Greek yoghurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I made this Morrocan lamb recipe. It was divine and everyone gobbled it up. It was the first time I made it but it definitely won't be the last. Next time I won't put so many apricots in. A thumbs up from me though :)

https://www.first1000days.ie/recipe/moroccan-lambwith-apricotsalmonds-and-mint/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

A nice bitta fish :)

33756968524_232df31d6b_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Pollock and a spinach salad with a citrusy chilli dressing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Loire that fish looks beautiful, what is it? How did you cook it?

Tonight we had lasagne and chips. Comfort food was needed. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I had one of those Aldi salad bag/bowl things. Duo of leaves, falafel and raspberry dressing. Really very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Whispered wrote: »
    I had one of those Aldi salad bag/bowl things. Duo of leaves, falafel and raspberry dressing. Really very nice.

I love those salad bowls but can't get my head around the raspberry dressing.

Aldi now have those chicken burgers in Louisiana bbq. I think they are my favourite version now.

Loire that fish looks beautiful, what is it? How did you cook it?

Thanks!

It was Hake from Aldi.

Sprinkled some flour on the skin and rubbed in
    Fried in olive oil skin down for a few mins over a medium heat - I tend to move it around a few times to stop the skin from sticking.
    While it is frying add the zest of a lemon to the flesh/meat (facing up)
    Flip the fish over and pop into the oven to finish off - I have a really handy Tefal Ingenico pan which doesn't have a fixed handle making it a doddle

I also used my go-to sauce for fish - using this for years and it works a treat....simply...

Add a big knob of butter to a frying pan over a medium heat. When it starts to bubble (you don't want it to burn) add the juice from that lemon that was grated and some chopped parsley. 20s later it will be ready and I just swirl it around a few times and pour over the fish

The greens were shreds of cabbage, blanched and then fried with butter and my favourite trio of chopped garlic, ginger and chilli.

We had spuds too but they were in their own dish so didn't get snapped!

Loire.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I love those salad bowls but can't get my head around the raspberry dressing.

Did you try it and not like it or is it the idea? I didn't like the idea but the only other one there was asian style and I knew that wouldn't work with falafel so I gave it a try. It's really lovely, very tart. I'd imagine perfect with rocket.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Still keeping it simple but nice. We had a mushrooms and pea risotto, with homemade focaccia filled with roasted peppers.

Hi, that looks fab. Never seem to pull-off risotto..would you mind telling me how you cooked it?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Whispered wrote: »
    Did you try it and not like it or is it the idea? I didn't like the idea but the only other one there was asian style and I knew that wouldn't work with falafel so I gave it a try. It's really lovely, very tart. I'd imagine perfect with rocket.

I haven't tried it yet. I was afraid it would be too sweet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ealy dinner, Nigel Slater's chicken, fennel and leek. Coulda browned the chicken a little more and I halved the suggested amount of fennel and replaced it with pak choi...
    33805935483_889d35e541_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Feel guilty for posting it here having seen all the lovely photos....but im just about to tuck into a big manky takeaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Last night was chilli wraps with wedges and tonight was a moresome lamb curry! Yum yum

I had a mix-up of the green tea salmon as a soba noodle dish with miso and coriander dressing. Himself had butternut soup with coconut rice.

photo_zpskfddhayr.jpg

Takeaway pizza and chips with garlic sauce. Badly needed. We ate about four hours ago and I'm still stuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Wood fired margarita from the Uuni pizza oven. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Now I know why Johnny doesn't like frozen pizza :) That looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Loire wrote: »
    Hi, that looks fab. Never seem to pull-off risotto..would you mind telling me how you cooked it?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Very, very simple - I had some hot stock ready, fried some chopped onions and diced mushrooms, added ca. 1 cup of arborio rice and cover it well with the stock. Keep stirring and adding stock in stages, never letting it get thick and dry. I then usually add some mushroom powder (dried porcini mushrooms ground to a powder in a spice grinder), and just before it's finished drop in some peas and a couple of chunks of blue cheese.
    Pepper and some hard cheese to finish it off.
    I think the key is not to let go dry at any point, just always make sure there's a few millimeters of liquid on top of the rice.

• Advertisement

Went to Ikea, pigged out on meatballs, jam, and chips, all smothered in gravy. Mmmmm.

Advertisement