Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Yum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

That's a decent mother in law!

Even if she's a maniac in other respects, living up to the stereotype, at least you're well fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

While Agnes was outside making a mess, we had a bit of salmon with air fryer potatoes (kids’ favourite) with greens, garlic hummus and onion & chive sour cream. Granted, I’m the only one who eats asparagus.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

One tray dinner tonight.

Whole roast chicken and veg. The veg was potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, red onions and celery, with lots of sea salt, garlic, black pepper and thyme. Tossed with olive oil and bunged into the oven with the bird on top. Bit of gravy and a perfect stormy day dinner.

Missed Bake Off last night due to tearful young fella who has decided school is not not for him, so hope to watch it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I had a 17 year-old saying the same thing yesterday. No tears thank goodness but I think I talked him round, for now anyway. 🙄

We had meatballs in a marinara sauce with cubes of feta cheese and pasta tonight. Delish!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mrs G made a toasted sandwich with dry cure rashers, mozzarella, pesto mayo and rocket, utterly delicious No photo, it was inhaled.

Good auld meat sauce & spaghetti. You can’t beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Few from last week, rather nice piece of fillet I cooked for our anniversary, one I plated for her looks a bit a better!

Piece of beef shoulder I picked up, intended smoking it on BBQ but weather conspired against me so cooked in oven at 150 for 5 hrs, still very tasty.

Left overs got turned into a Korean style BBQ beef fried rice today.

Top: Italian sausage, chilli and fennel tomato sauce tossed in spaghetti. This was a surprise hit with the kids, because it's quite spicy. Another Diana Henry recipe.

Although all sausage - including Italian sausage - is relatively fatty, I found these to be leaner than I expected - very high pork content. I've had other Italian sausages that were a little better for shaping and frying.

Bottom: This is an Aritsugu deba style japanese knife. Very heavy, chisel ground and the Japanese use these for stuff like quartering chickens. I bought it from Aritsugu about 10 years ago, from their shop in Kyoto. Still going strong, but, as you can see, maybe a little too strong. This cheap chopping board failed unexpectedly.

60 day aged beef.

• Advertisement

As we’re having left over Chinese tonight for dinner, I made red onion, bacon & cheese muffins with homemade veg soup for lunch. Delicious.. it would make a great mid-week meal, very filling.

Caramelised onions and chorizo. This was the most aesthetic of the four pizzas I did, not saying a lot!

The dough was mostly cold proved. Apps these days let you calculate quantities so easily, it's great.

Toulouse sausages, green lentils, chillies, rosemary and tomato. An Avoca recipe.

Roasted Chicken, carrots and potatoes with Bazmos stuffing balls. Big bowl of sage and onion bread stuffing also. Was meant to be Sunday roast but I was too sick so had to do it yesterday evening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

12 hour slow cooked ragu with tagliatelle 🤌🤌🤌

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

10/10 for presentation @TheKBizzle!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Haddock, spuds, chorizo, green beans and olives in a mustard and saffron dressing

Baked salmon with lemons, creamy gratin potatoes and greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cooked a piece of corned beef last night (not the tinned kind) and had it with chive mash, fried green cabbage and parsley sauce.

I would have taken a pic but the parsley sauce looked very unattractive due to being made with oat milk. It was a beige kinda colour with the green parsley through it. I thought it looked awful but tasted OK - bit too sweet though.

This was flahavans barista oat milk. Does anyone have a favoured non dairy milk that they use for sauces that isn't too off white and not too sweet? The flahavans is fine for custard but not for savoury, imo.

Damned food intolerances 😒

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Advertisement

I use dairy, so I can't speak from experience here at all, but have you ever tried a dollop of coconut milk from a can? If I was making a sauce and couldn't use cream, and reduce it, that would be something I would experiment with.

I use the oatmilk from Aldi and it’s beige-colour too. Unsweetened soya milk?

Duck breasts on offer in Lidl so treated myself. Served with red cabbage and fried potato. Cabbage is frozen mix with apple and redcurrents from Lidl. Very handy emergency veg portion. Slightly overcooked the duck but still very tasty.

Post edited by Ryath on

Mushroom soup with herbs and cheese.

Haven't had duck breasts in ages.

That's tonight's dinner sorted. Potato rosti, I think.

Having chive mash and (beige) parsley sauce leftover from the corned beef the other day, I decided fish cakes were in order, so I bought some whiting.

Did I, like any normal person, make the fishcakes and serve then with the parsley sauce? No. I had to put the parsley sauce IN the fishcakes. A right pain in the butt!

They were lovely, but they'd have been just the same with the sauce over them. Served with sweetcorn and cabbage. No pic. They looked like fishcakes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Out in the bush again 😀, Porcini and spaghetti.

Careful now. Your next post could be your last. 😬🤞😝

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I might reserve a few “specials” 😂😂😂.

• Advertisement

Duck leg confit, shiitake mushrooms with Chu Hou paste cooked now, I have blanched kale ready to go in as well, with egg and shrimp noodles.

That's the plan anyway.

EDIT: This is what it looks like now; it's amazing how so much kale can be condensed down, after blanching, squeezing, drying and chopping.

EDIT

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

Advertisement