Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

kylith wrote: »
    Went to Ikea, pigged out on meatballs, jam, and chips, all smothered in gravy. Mmmmm.

God dammit. They should deliver the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

beertons wrote: »
    God dammit. They should deliver the food.

I meant to buy bags of meatballs when I was leaving but was so laden-down with impulse purchases I literally couldn't even pick them up. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to go back...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Last night: Moroccan-spiced roast chicken with chilli-lime quinoa, pitta and tzatsiki.

18447108_10156108239132678_6376046100834749814_n.jpg?oh=76ac4837e7323483d98d0ca4c31e7dfc&oe=59758007

Night before: pizza in Guzto in Templeogue. I would like to clarify that the Hawaiian abomination is my sister's.

18485928_10211943358013232_8522581161860051316_n.jpg?oh=728165c3e7f451706b326e621ea51bcc&oe=59B5D5B4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

That chicken looks amazing! What did you do with it?

That chicken looks amazing! What did you do with it?

Mixed ras el hanout with Greek yoghurt to make a thick paste and slathered it all over the the chicken, inside and out. Halved a lemon and peeled a thumb-sized piece of garlic and put them in the cavity, then roasted as normal, but covered for the first half of the cooking time.

You can buy ras el hanout in the shops but I make my own cause a) I've perfected (imo, obviously!) my blend and b) I use it a LOT so it's just easier to make it in batches that will last a little while. My blend is:

8 tsp coriander seeds
    6 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tsp fennel seeds
    3 tsp green cardamom seeds (about 20 pods worth)
    2 tsp black peppercorns
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    4 tsp turmeric
    4 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp salt
    Half tsp cayenne
    Half tsp nutmeg

1. Toast all your seeds and peppercorns in a dry pan til they're just beginning to pop. Watch them like a hawk and shake the bejaysis out of the pan the whole time because they burn *incredibly* easily.

2. Tip into a pestle & mortar and grind to a medium powder.

3. Add the powdered spices & salt and mix well. Spoon into a small jar, ideally with a screw top.

This will keep in a cool, dark place for months before it starts to lose its potency.

• Advertisement

'Tis tapas week in Lidl!

Boquerones, cheese selection, feta and olives, bacon-wrapped dates, seedy bread, homemade gambas pil pil, and a nice glass or three of Malbec. Not pictured - gazpacho.

photo%201_zpsd1dpr1w4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made a big batch of Beef & Guinness on the hob for hours on a low heat. Had it with creamy mash and it was divine. The kids wolfed it too....wonder was it the aroma of Guinness? :pac:

@DialHard......that chicken!!

Loire wrote: »
    @DialHard......that chicken!!

I know. I can't wait to make it again. They've whole chickens on special in Lidl next week so one of them has been earmarked.

Last night: Minced pork soft tacos with a rough pickle/pico di gallo kinda thing that I'm utterly addicted to.

18527973_10156122800692678_6975701899324838193_n.jpg?oh=cdec5ede735dc81ba436fc29fac812dd&oe=59770B6E

18485913_10156122799812678_49568797711837600_n.jpg?oh=8211409ea52b7e90a53fca6290a1744d&oe=59A8501B

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A Latvian dinner. It's called Karbonade. Gonna make this back home.

Seasoned Pork cutlet hammered into an escalope, thin enough. Dipped in flower and beaten egg and then pan fried until golden brown. The sauce is usually made with mushrooms but the one I got was made with onion, garlic, dill, milk, flour and veg stock. Ya have to ask!

Anyway, the tech is bad here at the mo, so no photo yet. But its the pork on the plate, with boiled potatos, pickled cabbage and the sauce on top. I had Rye bread on the side. Simple, but very very flavoursome and delish!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had ratatouille left over from last night's dinner, and I had that heated with a dollop of cream cheese stirred in. With spaghetti, feta and pesto.

o6cykg.jpg

Steak! with greens, mushrooms, and rosemary roasted baby spuds.

photo%203_zps4praiya8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight was spicy chicken wraps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was a lazy dinner tonight. M&S chicken goujons, Aldi barbecue ribs, corn and salad. The only thing I put any effort into was the cucumber pickle.

j92d1u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Is it just me or do your chicken goujons look like seahorses ?? Can't unsee it now:pac:

ianob7 wrote: »
    Is it just me or do your chicken goujons look like seahorses ?? Can't unsee it now:pac:

They do! And they look like they've fallen out with each other too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

That's brilliant .. All I seen was the seahorses and no more.. Never noticed the potential ongoing row :p

I took another look and to me it's not fighting they're at all at all ;) :pac:

50 shades of breadcrumb :pac:

One from earlier in the week. A dish served in a Latvian restaurant. Braised beef (unusual for Latvia as Pork is their thing) served on a bed of roasted potatoe wedges with raw veggies and salad and loads of other stuff. It was divine. Photo doesn't do it justice.

20170321_133317.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Back to cooking a curry on Fridays. Tonight is a Lamb Phall. Not as hot as you might think - It's more flavours, with 10 birds eye for heat, if you want it. Will post a picture when cooked. (at least 4 beers away)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Pork satay with rice noodles, it was delish!

Makood wrote: »
    Back to cooking a curry on Fridays. Tonight is a Lamb Phall. Not as hot as you might think - It's more flavours, with 10 birds eye for heat, if you want it. Will post a picture when cooked. (at least 4 beers away)

Well????

I've sank four beers since you posted!:D I adore curry and I'm very interested in your Phall. I know lamb takes a lot longer than chicken.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Well????

I've sank four beers since you posted!:D I adore curry and I'm very interested in your Phall. I know lamb takes a lot longer than chicken.;)

I'm really sorry. The 4 beers turned into a few more and I woke up this morning with Phall all over me. The landlady is not impressed.

But it was lovely, simple to make and I really recommend it. The lamb took a lot longer than the recipe suggested. I'd say almost two hours. Really lovely flavours from just a few spices. The chillis also worked well.

I can PM you the link if you want?

Tonight a healthy meal of battered fish, chips and mushy peas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Pizza, glorious pizza

Makood wrote: »
    I'm really sorry. The 4 beers turned into a few more and I woke up this morning with Phall all over me. The landlady is not impressed.

But it was lovely, simple to make and I really recommend it. The lamb took a lot longer than the recipe suggested. I'd say almost two hours. Really lovely flavours from just a few spices. The chillis also worked well.

I can PM you the link if you want?

Tonight a healthy meal of battered fish, chips and mushy peas :)

Please do. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Bitty dinner of snack pepper stuffed with couscous, courgette tomato gratin, fried mushroom with herby butter, cheese and onion burger and a salad with spinach, beetroot, feta, onion, olives, cucumber and walnuts.
    A real pic n mix.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

That's weird, we had courgette tomato gratin also. With lamb shanks, mash, roast butternut squash and gravy, and a cucumber, rocket and feta salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had a "pizza dip" - I'm not really sure what to call it. Came across the idea online, instead of making a pizza base, you turn the dough into little bread rolls and line them up along the outside of a deep dish, then cover them in garlic butter. Then you fill the middle with a really thick tomato sauce, and shredded mozzarella mixed with ricotta. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake.
    The idea is that everyone can tear off a roll of the outside and use the melted, yummy middle as dip.
    I didn't get the chance to take a photo, as it was gone far too quickly, but it looked something like this :

983326-420x280-fix-vegetarischer-pizza-dip-pizza-etwas-anders.jpg

Only mine had less rolls and more dip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I made the Thai bean burgers from the cooking club over the weekend...i failed miserably making them. I'll try again.

Tonight I had BBQ marinated chops with rosemary and Parmesan roasted baby potatoes and some grilled mushrooms.

Advertisement