Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Reheated the last of the keema curry with leftover potatoes. Pimped garlic ciabatta.

I used the Angus minced beef from Lidl, which I found was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Christmas Dinner No.1

Followed by Brandy Snaps with whipped cream.

Chicken and corn soup. Cucumber and ssamjang toast.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Steak. Becoming more convinced the Lidl fillet is the best steak out there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lidl steaks are consistently good, alright.

I've recently had excellent rib-eyes from Supervalu and sirloins from Tesco, too. These days, we're spoiled for good steaks but try buying any beef other than steaks or mince in a supermarket and there is virtually nothing there.

• Advertisement

Tesco are doing some great half price deals on roasting cuts at the moment.

Ay, yeah. Tesco do roasting joints, alright. But often they are roasting joints that I'd never, ever use like eye of the round or houskeeper's cut. But good when they do specials like yours above.

I suppose what I really meant was there's a dirth of any kind of stewing beef apart from tiny diced, generic casserole beef but shelf fulls of steak and mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dental appointment means I can't feel most of my face and definitely can't eat properly. As such... Queal. It does the job but it's still mighty boring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

When I need stewing beef I buy the Aldi topside of black angus, and dice it. It's considered a relatively lean cut of beef, compared to silverside, but to be honest I've never had a problem with it turning out perfectly tender. I would dice a housekeeper's cut as well, actually.

I wouldn't favour either of those cuts for stewing. Not enough fat or connective tissue for my liking.

• Advertisement

Good way of using up leftover turkey. Turkey Ceaser Salad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Agree, I got my Easter whole leg of Lamb there for half price last week. It’s now resting in the chest freezer.

Also my favourite steak at the moment is Tescos rump steaks. Lovely thick cuts and beautiful with butter, garlic, onions, pepper and wet crystal salt, delicious.

I’m not a fan of Lidl steaks, too thin. But then maybe I should have a look again.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I know it's not haute cuisine, but it tastes good, it's quick, and it's a sight cheaper than the real thing - I present: MockDonalds Bacon & Egg and Sausage & Egg muffins!

Ex dairy cow.

It's mad, I always understood that dairy cows and breeds made for poor beef but now we are seeing it sold at a premium, and, I believe, it's fantastic.

Can I ask how much those steaks cost and how good they were?

I've seen this beef in O Mahony's, English Market, Cork but the price seemed very high so I haven't sampled yet.

Price wise, I can't remember, they were part of a much bigger order, and went in the freezer. From moo.ie. But maybe 15 euro each? Not sure.

Taste wise, these were excellent. Comparable to other high quality grass-fed beef that's been aged properly. Probably no better or worse though, at the same time, for being retired dairy.

The best beef I've ever had remains a spinalis dorsi cut I got from Higgins Butchers, Sutton Cross, a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Great looking sear there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

NZ. Sea crayfish…..off the wall price. Large one about €175. Friend of a friend job……..garlic butter, very nice though.

Christmas Dinner is started with a turkey brine.

The16kg Kettlebell is for anti-fox purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

And so it begins.. with the Ham.

Covered in fruit cider and spices. In a couple of hours the house is going to smell heavenly.

Sunday is still pizza night!

Mainly the missus' work today...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭con747

Stuffed.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had a mad idea this morning, to make pork crackling out of the ham fat. Savage.

After boiling or before? Or, rather, what's the method?

I trimmed off the skin after boiling and it was tasty, sticky pickings for those of that persuasion, yesterday. Still a bit left in the fridge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Er, I cut it off after I boiled it. Seemed like a waste just binning it. But since the dish was kept relatively simple today, I just got it into my head that it might be nice roasted. Had to keep an eye on the kids with it, they put some in a ham sambo around 7 bells. Hilarious, but they were kinda going mad on it. And with relish. Like come on, it's one or the other, but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Simple dinner. Prawn cocktail to start. Roast chicken, butter and parsley under the skin. Carrot and parsnip mash, sprouts, roasties, stuffing and a chicken gravy. Trifle for dessert. Few glasses of wine. Job done. Just the 2 of us. Lovely relaxed day.

Went for dinner to my parents home, as usual. And as I don't eat turkey, my lovely mother had a nice chicken pesto dish for me.

The sides of red cabbage and sprout gratin were lovely. Bread stuffing with cranberries. Thyme and onion mash... Delicious!

Thanks Mam! ❤️

• Advertisement

You just reminded me. I made red cabbage a few days ago. It’s still in the fridge! 🤯😝🙄

Advertisement