Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

This is the first year in about ten years we made turkey... turned out fine, but reminded me why we normally skip it.. Even when done well, it's a very blah meat. It's the trimmings that elevate it slightly.

If we did poultry again, I think a brace of heritage chickens would be worth a shot. Otherwise, it'll be back to beef Wellington.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've wanted to do something other than turkey for years but family always wanted turkey. I'd hoped that spending Christmas with my wife's family might mean the opportunity to cook something else but my sister-in-law who buys all the food and hosts also wants turkey! I did get to do a goose years ago with my wife's parents which was absolutely gorgeous.

Having said that, I absolutely love the boned and stuffed turkey legs and if you find a really decent turkey (not cheap) the breast is really nice if not over cooked. Also, I really like gravy made from browned turkey stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Lessons learned from the last time. Really happy with how it turned out. Moist meat, crispy crackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The large stuffed Turkey beast worked a treat and the ham was delicious. Relieved as last year I didn’t enjoy the ham. Salad starter with home made soda and the kids’ favourite homemade trifle for dessert.. with lots of dry sherry in that no one noticed, lol.

Leftovers, with a large negroni beforehand.

Glad that's the end of it, tbh.

• Advertisement

Beef Wellington.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

The obligatory leftovers pie. Ham, chicken, leek, mushroom, shallot, garlic, chicken stock and cream. Mash was potatoes, leftover stuffing and carrot and parsnip.

Possibly nicer than the actual Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Paul Pogba

Over to grandmas for Stephen’s Day dinner, she’s 84 and still a great cook. It’s basically another Christmas dinner.

Roasties, turkey, ham, breadcrumb stuffing, carrots, gravy, sausage meat stuffing, minimum sprouts, marrowfat peas and bread sauce. Serious feast followed by pavlova, whipped cream, berry compote and some sort of lemon sauce.

Grandma is not a fan of throwing out the rarely used species , pepper from superquinn out of date since Jan 2014. Tasted ok to me anyways 👍

Yearly cheeseboard.

• Advertisement

We'd (by that, I mean me) bought loads of party bits that needed to be used up.

So dinner was, cheese and bacon mini pies, various prawn party foods, cod bao buns, and prawn pil pil. With breads.

Dessert was chocolate stuffed profiteroles, with caramel sauce and whipped cream.

We had several drinks afterwards.

I'm literally poisoned with food and drink.

I had to buy a pair of jeans in Penneys one size bigger today.

I'm the walking epitome of gluttony.

Mr. Recliners turn this evening.

Deep fried prawns, rice and his special hot, sour, sweet and spicy sauce.

It's consistently delicious, and never leaves me feeling bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Home made strawberry cheesecake

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A very random pork and vegetable noodle dish.

For serving:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Donor Kebab tray from butchers...delicious...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Artaine Castle? Saw them before Chrimbo. I make the Cooking Club version

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057395904/2015-cooking-club-week-10-lamb-doner-kebabs-with-salad-and-sauces

(I make three times the quantity for six people and mix pork mince with lamb mince to keep the cost down). Really simple to make and always goes down well.

New Years steaks supposed to be tomorrow, but there's a match so... did them today. Reverse sear, gratin (finally remembered to rest it adequately) and some creamed spinach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The last of the stuffed Turkey breasts for New Year’s Day dinner. Much preferred it to Xmas day, less faff. We don’t get sick of Turkey since we stopped cooking the whole bird. The breast is quicker to cook and very moist, no leftovers either. I’d happily have turkey again at Easter, but everyone in my family love lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭con747

Spicy prawns, cocktail sausages and chips with garlic sauce.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

KFC.

Felt like rubbish after, but honestly couldn't face cooking. Probably could have made a better choice, but I really wanted chips and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Bought a piece of spiced beef reduced in Tesco before Christmas.

Had it the other night warm with, mash, cabbage and parsley sauce. Much as I love spiced beef for sandwiches, in this case, corned beef would have been nicer.

Decent bit of spiced beef, though. Good value.

Takeaway dahl yesterday... I really must start making my own!

Where from? Dal can be silly expensive for what it is. €18.90 for dal and rice in Thali 😳

Oh I know! It's peasant food FFS...

€10 for the dal and naan (I would have preferred a roti, but very few places make those). Ignite on Washington Street.

Lavish do the same for the same price, but I prefer Ignite's version I think.

Lavish for comparison:

MODS: you might move this to the Cork restaurant review thread please...

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Butter chicken, Bombay aloo and some naan breads and rice.

Tacos, 3 fillings. Pulled pork, creamy chicken, and another spicy chicken. Cheese, sweetcorn salsa and sauce.

I was actually sad when I'd finished them. Would have eaten another 3, they were so tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Advertisement