Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was cottage pie.

Tonight is Lamb stew that I made in the slow cooker.

It is possibly the best Lamb stew I've made, I will be doing it in the slow cooker in future, that is for sure. It's just fabulous. I've never been this pleased with anything I have made before.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Pasta bake with everything but the kitchen sink beef mince, tinned and fresh tomatoes, chillis, ginger, garlic, onions, mushrooms, peppers, courgettes and lots of oregano and grated cheese on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Dipping my toe into cauliflower pizza base.. Needs more cheese but still good

(not literally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Marinated chicken, roasted in the oven served up with a side of creamy mash with gravy , and some green beans.

Everyone enjoyed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Pie and chips.

Home made mini beef and red wine pies with real chips and lashings of gravy. Ridic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Those potatoes look great.

Pasta salad for me this evening. Lazy lazy made a greek salad, threw in some hot pasta, olive oil, garlic and oregano, squeezed a lemon and stirred. Was very nice and ridiculously quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Garlic roasties with minute steak, mushrooms and onions with a pepper corn sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Sweet chilli salmon with stirfried noodles and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Chicken hotpot from scratch. I always add red and green peppers to it for extra taste, but the usual onions, carrots and cubed potatoes were there. Had it with some really big roast spuds.

Last night was a Chinese and tonight was roast chicken, veg, spuds and gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Weather such as today, a very tasty salad made with rocket, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, peppers, feta, beetroot and a boiled egg.

Home made dressing of soy sauce - honey and balsamic.

Eaten alfresco obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Marinated angus beef done over charcoal with rice (dyed with turmeric) guacamole and sour cream.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had a pork loin defrosted from yesterday, so it was a soy sauce and wok job, sliced 1cm apart. What next. Green and red pepper, 2 carrots, 2 onions, found a sweet and hot chilli, all sliced finely.

Found a can of black beans, a quick Google got me a black bean sauce. Garlic, ginger and scallions chopped and fried. B beans rinsed, very salty, and added with 2tbsp rice wine vinegar and same of soy. Bit of sugar, cup of chicken sock. Cook off, then add flour to thicken it. Before add to wok, grate some orange rind into it.

I did the pork first, removed, then veg. Did the sauce in another pan, and added everything when veg was done.

Amazing.

No rice or noodles needed, imo, as it's all veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Last night was cottage pie.

Tonight is Lamb stew that I made in the slow cooker.

It is possibly the best Lamb stew I've made, I will be doing it in the slow cooker in future, that is for sure. It's just fabulous. I've never been this pleased with anything I have made before.

Any chance of the recipe? :)

Any chance of the recipe? :)
    For the lamb stew? I will post it up tomorrow for you :)

For the lamb stew? I will post it up tomorrow for you :)

Thanks StripedBoxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Made roast beef with all the trimmings last night. By the time it was ready I wasn't hungry but everyone else enjoyed it. My appetite is gone to the dogs these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had roast chicken with garlic, ginger, soy, honey and five spice. With baked potatoes and corn on the cob.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

IKEA dinner! Meatballs, chips, cream sauce and lingonberry jam. Elderflower cordial to drink, and blueberry cheesecake for dessert. Followed by an hour or two of rampant materialism buying cushions, hangers, laundry baskets and lots of lovely bits. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

BBQ for two nights running
    Gotta make the most of it while we can
    Got his memade burgers (Texas and jack Daniels style) Sausages and chicken pieces and all were hmmmmmmm

• Advertisement

Thanks StripedBoxers.

Sorry for the delay, I will have it up tonight. :o

Here is the recipe, sorry for the delay.

Lamb Stew

Ingredients

Diced Lamb
    Red Onion – 2
    Carrots – 3-5
    Button Mushrooms – 1 pack
    Potatoes – 3-6 medium
    Garlic – 3-5 cloves
    Chopped tomatoes – 1 tin –
    Red wine – 2-3 glasses
    Pearl Barely – 1 handful
    Parsley, thyme, basil (I use all dried, but you can use fresh) – teaspoon of each
    Black pepper – just a pinch
    Beef stock pot – 1
    Bisto – optional – add as much or little as needed

1. Chop the carrots, potatoes, onions into bite sized chunks. Drain the chopped tomatoes, of if you prefer, you can use the juice, I find it bitter so don’t use it.
    2. Brown the meat in a pan with the onions, garlic cloves, pepper and herbs.
    3. Add everything into the saucepan with the meat, veg, garlic, mushrooms (I leave them whole, but you can chop/slice them), red wine, pearl barley and the beef stock pot. I don’t dissolve this in water, but you could if you wanted to.
    4. Cook everything for about an hour on a low-medium heat with the lid off to let it all thicken up. If you want to add bisto, now is the time to add it.
    5. If you are adding bisto keep stirring everything in the saucepan for a good 10 minutes or until you have the desired consistency.
    6. When the stew has reached the desired consistency transfer everything into the slow cooker and put on a medium heat for 6-8 hours.

The meat will fall apart, everything will have a rich flavour. It’s beautiful, goes well with mash or baked potatoes too. I make enough that I can freeze some portions and find with this amount I would get about 7-9 small portions that can be frozen for up to three months.

It defrosts really well too – but potatoes (in my experience) don’t freeze well at all, so if you are freezing any, don’t freeze potatoes.

*The reason I cook it in the pot first is because I was undergoing chemotherapy so all meat (for me) had to be cooked in a pan before slow cooking.

Thanks for the recipe,well worth the wait! Looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Last night: Cajun turkey burgers with yet more of the rough pickle, quinoa-stuffed roasted peppers and feta dip (which along with the rough pickle may be my new favourite thing).

18620478_10156149913442678_9121912044877002495_n.jpg?oh=37cd762bb8bfc38d046cbf66491f909a&oe=59ADDB13

Night before: Marinated hake with Cajun baby potatoes, lemon sauce and baby spinach.

18581624_10156146408872678_6864639226713602814_n.jpg?oh=290195d442d354f744ad3328f357c52e&oe=59B848C0

And the night before: coconut chicken wth katsu curry sauce. My sister hasn't stopped talking about this since.

18555932_10156133886997678_2324308289875384571_n.jpg?oh=8bb15c946033884004a83574acb3a75e&oe=59B18776

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Am I reading wrong - the white sauce is feta dip? Sounds AMAZING!

We are having a lazy evening with M&S €14 meal. Goats cheese lattice with ratatouille, I got potato rosti to go with it, tiramisu for dessert and the wine that comes as part of the deal is fab. I can feel my arteries protesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Whispered wrote:
    Am I reading wrong - the white sauce is feta dip? Sounds AMAZING!

Yep, that's the feta dip and it's SO good. 100g feta, 200ml Greek yoghurt, 50ml olive oil, juice of a lemon and a good pinch of black pepper, all whizzed in the food processor. Be warned, it's highly addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Those meals look unreal. It looks like clean cooking if that makes any sense.

Last night was steak and chips washed down with a few glasses of red wine to celebrate finishing chemo :D Looking forward to having a rare steak now :D Oh god I can't wait :D

Tonight was spicy chicken wings, absolutely delicious. Can't wait to have more tomorrow :D
    Thanks for the recipe,well worth the wait! Looking forward to trying it.
    You're more than welcome, let me know what you think of it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night was steak and chips washed down with a few glasses of red wine to celebrate finishing chemo :D Looking forward to having a rare steak now :D Oh god I can't wait :D

Tonight was spicy chicken wings, absolutely delicious. Can't wait to have more tomorrow :D

You're more than welcome, let me know what you think of it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Congratulations SB! Onwards and upwards now :)

• Advertisement

Congratulations SB! Onwards and upwards now :)
    Thank you so much, I've the hardest part done now, which is amazing, I'm on the road to beating my cancer, and that's the main thing :D

Advertisement