Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Sushi night! It was a mixture of cucumber, spring onion, red pepper and sweet potato tempura. The pic is too big so I can't upload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just did housekeepers cut roast

Rank

Not a success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

lawred2 wrote: »

Rank

Not a success

Hate when that happens. I had this a couple of weeks ago AND my yorkshire puds didn't rise. It was a bad day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Bit of a hectic day today, so wanted something that was quick and simple yet healthy too as I'm training.

Thai style fish cakes with Thai vegetable stir-fry.

It was divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rank

Not a success

It's not really a great cut. Dry and tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Really happy to hear it SB!

Very disappointing dinner in a hotel last night. I ordered a roast veg and haloumi panini. I'm not sure what I was expecting but certainly more than a panini with haloumi, olives and grilled tomato in it.

Some peppers, maybe some pesto, pine nuts, tapenade, rocket - anything to elevate it from a grilled tomato and cheese sambo with rubbery olives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yep, that's the feta dip and it's SO good. 100g feta, 200ml Greek yoghurt, 50ml olive oil, juice of a lemon and a good pinch of black pepper, all whizzed in the food processor. Be warned, it's highly addictive.

Sounds like something I'd actually like to be addicted to.
    I'll try that next time I'm making falafel - which, given how much my OH loves them, will probably be before the week is out :D

It's not really a great cut. Dry and tough.

It sure was - had to sharpen the carving knife to Samurai levels so as to cut wafer thin slices. At least that made it somewhat less of a chore to eat.

That cut shall never darken our door again.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yep, that's the feta dip and it's SO good. 100g feta, 200ml Greek yoghurt, 50ml olive oil, juice of a lemon and a good pinch of black pepper, all whizzed in the food processor. Be warned, it's highly addictive.

I will be doing this... Sounds ideal for a spicy wrap

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Rank

Not a success

I went to the butchers the other day, to get a brisket for the smoker. He only had a small bit left, and it was the fattiest bit ever. I should have passed on it and cooked something else. Not worth the 8 hours I put into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

beertons wrote: »
    I went to the butchers the other day, to get a brisket for the smoker. He only had a small bit left, and it was the fattiest bit ever. I should have passed on it and cooked something else. Not worth the 8 hours I put into it.

What kind of smoker do you have beertons?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

brinty wrote: »
    What kind of smoker do you have beertons?

Komado Joe. Tis up on the last page or 2 in the bbq place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Rank

Not a success

Do you mind me asking how you cooked it?
    I bought that cut accidentally but cooked it really low for 4 hours, it wasn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chicken Miso Soup with a packet of Stir Fried Veg and some Udon noodles added.

737F5082-CA8C-4394-96C5-1810AC2DBDDF_zpsqq2itgfk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Lamb stew here tonight. I cannot wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Bland and ordinary tonight. Bacon and cabbage with mash. Parsely sauce to sex it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had bacon too - with mash, carrots and broccoli. Popping the bacon into the oven with brown sugar and wholegrain mustard on the fat for half an hour after it's been boiled makes it a lot more exciting and flavoursome :)

ellejay wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you cooked it?
    I bought that cut accidentally but cooked it really low for 4 hours, it wasn't so bad.

Honestly, IMO, I think its a terrible cut of meat no matter how well you cook it. I suppose I have a particular aversion to it because of my childhood. My mother wrapped it in tinfoil and roasted it on a high heat for two hours. Chewy as feck.:eek: Once I reached my cooking phase, I tried everything with it to no avail. It belongs in a bad carvery.:D

For me its Eye of the Round, Ball of the Round or Brisket. The latter needs lots of care if being done in a conventional oven, but is worth it.

We had bacon too - with mash, carrots and broccoli. Popping the bacon into the oven with brown sugar and wholegrain mustard on the fat for half an hour after it's been boiled makes it a lot more exciting and flavoursome :)

Absolutely. But I didn't boil the bacon tonight. I baked it and didn't bother with a glaze. The parsely sauce has not made it any more exciting. I'm in pub grub mode tonight and not Michelin star mode. :D I usually brush it with lemon juice and wholegrain mustard and then baste with juices. I am totally off my game tonight. Even the missus noticed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Primavera pasta - conchiglie with a cream sauce with mushrooms, courgettes, swiss chard and peas.

I'll take pics next time, it was gone too quickly this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I'm kicking my cheese habit to the kerb and I'm cutting it out. So I'm using the rest of it up.

I made that feta dip, absolutely amazing.

Yesterday I had left over red curry.

Tonight I had falafals with herb roasted sweet potato and Parmesan roasted broccoli.

we had a salad of tomato, radish, cucumber, jalapeño, onion and coriander with avocado and hummus and those gorgeous flatbread thins Aldi do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

New potatoes steamed with butter and parsley and chives from the garden, pan fried hake, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower in a cheese sauce

Whispered wrote: »
    we had a salad of tomato, radish, cucumber, jalape?o, onion and coriander with avocado and hummus and those gorgeous flatbread thins Aldi do.

I'm not really familiar with these, and this is a house where middle eastern food (falafel, tagine, hummus,) etc are a regular, favourite dishes.

Any link? They definitely sound with something I could jump on board with.

Dinner for us yesterday was a homemade, slow cooked madras curry made with stewing beef, onion and garden peas as it's base, served it up with homemade lemon and peanut pilau rice.

No naan and no poppadoms unfortunately.

Was a big hit with myself and the parent inlaws, though the kids needed to add a good few dollops of yoghurt to theirs in order to cool it a bit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Striploin steak and salad last night - rocket, roasted peppers and onions, sliced grapes and a balsamic dressing. I was going to add some feta but it was gone off. :mad: Apart fromthat it was great. :pac:

I'm not really familiar with these, and this is a house where middle eastern food (falafel, tagine, hummus,) etc are a regular, favourite dishes.

Any link? They definitely sound with something I could jump on board with.

They're with the crackers. Savour bake I think but I cant find a link. They're not the soft flatbreads but crunchy crackers. Fab with hummus, avocado etc.
    Black pepper and the multigrain ones are my favourites.

leek, peas and chicken with a sauce made of vegetable stock, parmesan and cream served with quartered potatoes

booyeah

in your face housekeeper's cut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Those meals look unreal. It looks like clean cooking if that makes any sense.

Thanks a mill. Yeah, I like to eat as clean as possible and I absolutely love cooking, so it makes it very easy. I get genuinely depressed sometimes when I read what some people eat when they're trying to go clean - literally just plain meat & salad or veg. A lot of people seem to think eating clean means you can only eat "ingredients" rather than actual dishes. I do be like "Make a curry or a chilli or a stew, for the love of God!"

Anyway, a couple from recent nights:

Spicy beanburgers with the now-ubiquitous feta dip & rough pickle and sweet potato "fries" (I do them in the oven).

18813372_10156174759892678_3149099092309033193_n.jpg?oh=25f50ddc6ce723bd6c8b02a8756e02d6&oe=599E1BC7

And a lamb kofta tagine with eggs and giant couscous. I wasn't mad about this. The kofta were gorgeous and the eggs worked really well with it but I didn't really enjoy the very loose cooking broth, I'd have preferred more of a sauce. It has potential, though, so I'll make it again with some tweaks. Possibly even just using regular couscous would sort it.

18838947_10156174760052678_2476552291995789469_n.jpg?oh=62ca4204fabd75947488c5ca5f9a5a98&oe=59A40E7D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Oooh. Got the recipe for the bean burgers?

• Advertisement

Lads I made the feta dip for Mrs Stewart when she returned from work, and it wasn't exactly a hit.

Made it as per the recipe on this thread, but it tasted very "yoghurty".

200g of Greek yoghurt - 50g of olive oil - 100g of feta, juice of a lemon, food sprinkle of pepper, and done in the food processor.

Someone please tell me it was made incorrectly.

Advertisement