Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options
1325326327328329331»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love smoked cheese… must search out that brand. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You’re going to get a lot of different answers. (I like the idea of nduja though).

Here, it’s always crispy lardons of streaky smoked bacon. Cheese sauce with strong cheddar, mustard powder and nutmeg. I used to use chopped tomatoes and topped with breadcrumbs but the fussy feckers moaned too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Was going to do regular chowder, but went the Thai flavours route instead.

Sausages with currywurst sauce, red cabbage, potatoes (with the dreaded dill), Dijon and crispy onions.

• Advertisement

Not a dill fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

that looks divine - really - death row meal - would love the recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought it was just me (and, interestingly, Mrs Beer, from before we met). Hate the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've never been able to eat too much of it , which is not a problem I encounter too often. I find it very heavy and 'samey' to be a full dish.

The kids are big fans of pasta bakes, which are more or less the same thing but with peas, ham, broccoli and whatever veg needs using thrown in. Cheese sauce and pasta carries most things along with it fairly well.

I've never had macaroni cheese, either. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Weirdly, yesterday, Mrs Beer declared she wanted macaroni cheese (she's not on boards).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Get off the bus! You never cease to surprise me tbr. 😂

I think you'd be surprised how many people haven't had it, for all it's simplicity. It's a very American thing.

It's basically a thai green curry sauce in soup form (slightly less thick than how I'd normally do it) with fish cooked in it. Some dried spices (lime leaves, a few dried chillis, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaves, lemongrass) toasted in a pan with some ghee (or oil/butter). Once toasted, added some chopped onions, sauteed, then added some garlic/ginger paste (and also some chopped garlic and sliced ginger, since I had it but the paste will do) and sauteed a bit more. Added two tins of coconut milk, water and some homemade green curry paste I had in the freezer (unsure what's in it but the spice mix above should suffice as it's probably more of the same). Also added some sliced green chilli, a veg stock pot, msg, lemon/lime zest, lime juice and fish sauce and let the sauce cook to itself for a while. Once done, strained out the solids and put the liquid back in the pan.

Then it was just a case of adding the fish and veg to cook in the sauce so they all come together as cooked at the same time. I think it was salmon, cod, mussels (I cooked these beforehand and added them last second), prawns, green beans and baby corn. The potatoes I cooked most of the way normally and added to the sauce toward the end to finish (they ended up a bit overdone but still edible).

Topped with chilli, scallion greens and some fennel fronds, because I didn't have any dill, alas.

My parents both loved what they called spaghetti cheese - with, oddly, mashed potato! I think that was in later years, though. I don't remember it really when I was growing up - being a fussy eater, I wouldn't have eaten it anyway.

• Administrators Posts: 53,825 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wouldn't be a fan of Mac n cheese either, it's too stodgy IMO. Also too rich, just don't feel great after eating it.

Also oddly I absolutely love cheese but I'm not a huge fan of cheese sauces.

I remember working for a big MNC in Athlone back in the mid 1990's; people at the staff canteen would order a portion of boiled potatoes that they would peel at the table and mash them into their spag bol.

Thought it was a bit odd at the time.

I'm the same. Tomato based pasta sauces but with lots of fluffy parmesan would be more my thing.

Speaking of that, I might cook some long curly lunghi bucati tomorrow with a tomato and vegetable sauce I picked up from my local Italian deli.

Parmesan, basil… protein? Might keep it simple. Side salad perhaps. Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

To upset the apple cart I bought 2 Tesco finest macaroni and triple cheese earlier, I'm a big mac & cheese fan.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Oh, Tesco ready meal? In that case I might give it a go!! 😊

• Advertisement

Usually make my own but they were out of macaroni pasta so it's second best apart from the M&S version.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's really good comfort food, happens a bit in winter for us as something different to stew/casserole/cassoulet and something plainer but not soup is wanted

Garlic & cheese ciabatta with chips

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

In the US, apparently, macaroni refers to any type of pasta, not just tubes.

Anyway.

Baked, breaded pork neck chops. Mash. Steamed asparagus. Roast tomato and garlic. Djion gravy (there was plenty more). Real comfort food.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

No pics.

Ribs with homemade BBQ sauce. Corn on the cob, potato salad, lamb koftas, mint dip and flatbreads.

I have Covid and my sense of taste is gone, so I just picked at it.

Really hope it comes back soon. 3 days of not tasting anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Underdone Yorkshire Pudding but otherwise, great flavours,

(Overturned Broccoli fail 😀)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Still have Covid and no sense of taste, but had a chicken burger with what should have been a delicious homemade burger sauce and more corn on the cob.

Couldn't finish either, but felt I needed to eat something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement