Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

1331332333334335337»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

never heard of baby turnips - thought they wer baby onion - they sort you get in a jar lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Recliner

They're delicious. I did get these in Tesco as con said, but my local fruit and veg shop often have them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thing is, they're just turnips. They just seem baby compared to swedes which Irish people (amongst others) call "turnips".

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Recliner

Whatever they're called, I much prefer them. Definitely easier to prep and cook, and I find the delicate flavour more to my liking. Also helps that my OH won't even try them, so I get to eat them all myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thinking of investing in an air fryer but lots of the recipes I see/comments I hear seem to feature 'snack type' food or chicken, chicken, chicken. What types of 'family dinner' do you use air fryer for? Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Apart from chicken (and fish fingers, sausages)… I like to roast vegetables such as tomatoes or Medi veggies for making soup and sauces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I have one of the ones that's more like a mini oven, and that's how I use it, tbh.

I can fit a small, whole chicken in there, and of course smaller cuts of meat like chops etc, but although it has two shelves it's not great at cooking things if I spread them out across two shelves - I have to swap things around once or twice to get them cooked evenly. (That may be because it's a relatively cheap air fryer, it's not a big deal breaker for me.)

So I use mine instead of firing up the big, expensive oven most of the time. I'm usually only cooking for two, but I'd have trouble if I was cooking for more people, even if I was only using the air fryer to cook one food item (a few chicken portions, or enough oven chips for 4, for example), maybe others with larger, more expensive, known brand air fryers have a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Quick steak, some crushed baby potatoes finished in the pan and pepper sauce. Potatoes should have been parboiled a smidge less and they'd have held their shape more perhaps but they really were delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

No picture, forgotten as always in the evening rush to get everyone fed and to bed. Chicken korma with lots of veg, basmati rice, onion bhajis and some sour cream and lime and chilli chutney. Very nice but the 6 year old wouldn't even taste the curry. He's the only reason we were having a bloody korma (aka world's blandest curry) in the first place!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It was only me and the baby this evening so we each had an egg and some potato farls. Half a banana and some strawberries for dessert. Simple but hit the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Eeshaw

BBQ steak sandwich and home cut chips in the air fryer.

Chips in lard almost done.

Everything else done, time to get the steak on.

Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭nachouser

Dinner in Glas with a vegan friend. No alcohol whiskey, free amuse bouche, fried cauliflower, chestnut parfait, fried artichoke, roast carrot. Food there was delicious.

Looks very good @nachouser

Second from the bottom, is that aubergine, mushroom...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭nachouser

Fried Jerusalem Artichoke

Goats Cheese Frittata, Braised Turnip, Mustard Cream

It was the one non-vegan thing on the menu because of the cheese. I like cheese.

Is it just me, or does the presentation look pretty poor on those plates to anyone else? I just don't think they look great but are trying hard to look fancy. Looks to me like someone is trying to do high end presentation but doesn't quite understand the art. Tastes great, no doubt, though.

I'm often not overly fussed about presentation but I do think if you go down that road, you'd better nail it or else it just looks pointlessly pretentious.

The food in Paradiso, Cork is presented way better, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Last minute, I was looking for somewhere that I'd not been to have dinner earlier this afternoon as I was going to be in town. After an annoying search whereby most if not all of the places I looked for were closed for Sunday*, I saw your post and decided to give Glas a go as a) it was open and b) they had space. Had the beet starter and the jerusalem artichoke main. Both excellent. I can't remember the title of the desert, but it did feature black garlic ice cream - which was unusual, but definitely very tasty. Quite reasonably priced as well, for these days anyway, three courses sans alcohol was €52. Had two cocktails as well, including a mezcal sour which I'd not had before, going to have to try make at home after that. No pictures. I'd be happy to go back again.

* I really, really hope we don't seem to be going down the UK route of most food places being closed Sundays. Is this a recent thing? I recall places being closed Monday alright, but Sundays? I don't remember that much. And it blows.

A lot of restaurants have always closed on Sundays. Don't think this is a new thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Eeshaw

Winner winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A trip to Hawksmoor for a family celebration. 🤯

Advertisement