Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

lawred2 wrote: »
    Always dubious about people who don't like pizza

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Why?

Maybe missed the smiley off the end? Otherwise ...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Steak with sweet potatoe wedges and frayed mushrooms and onions and a glass of red

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How do you fray mushrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

We had guests! But it was zero effort - roast in a bag chicken, loaf from the shop, salad thrown together, couscous done in five minutes! :pac:

How did you make the 'lemony jewelled couscous'? I like the sound of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Tofu and chickpea curry with brown rice, poppadoms, mango chutney, onion salad and loads of fresh coriander.

arian wrote: »
    Maybe missed the smiley off the end? Otherwise ...

There was no smiley at the end and "otherwise" implies something else. This is a really cool forum, but I must admit being a liitle put out at your post and lawred2's post, which garnered no reply despite me replying. If either of you can explain why my dislike of pizza has attracted this attention, I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

lawred2 please try and post something constructive. Negative comments are not constructive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

How did you make the 'lemony jewelled couscous'? I like the sound of that

Into a large bowl, put some couscous and a handful of mixed dried berries - I used dried cranberries, blueberries, golden sultanas and raisins (mixed bags available in Aldi). Add a slice of butter, pour on the amount of boiling water required, cover and leave to absorb.

Next, chop up two scallions and a handful of herbs of your choice - I used parsley - and prepare some pomegranate.

Once the couscous has absorbed all the water, fluff well with a fork. Add the juice of a lemon, a splash of olive oil and a generous serving of salt and pepper. Stir in the herbs, scallions and pomegranate seeds. Taste and add more salt, pepper or lemon as needed. Easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Whispered wrote: »
    Tofu and chickpea curry with brown rice, poppadoms, mango chutney, onion salad and loads of fresh coriander.

Tofu in curry - I'm intrigued. I'm pretty rubbish at cooking tofu, do you maybe have a recipe for this?

• Advertisement

Garlic and rosemary roasted potatoes, corn on the cob with butter and a salad with lettuce, mixed tomatoes and beetroot, with a yoghurt and herb dressing (herbs from the garden - yummy!)

izt7hd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Into a large bowl, put some couscous and a handful of mixed dried berries - I used dried cranberries, blueberries, golden sultanas and raisins (mixed bags available in Aldi). Add a slice of butter, pour on the amount of boiling water required, cover and leave to absorb.

Next, chop up two scallions and a handful of herbs of your choice - I used parsley - and prepare some pomegranate.

Once the couscous has absorbed all the water, fluff well with a fork. Add the juice of a lemon, a splash of olive oil and a generous serving of salt and pepper. Stir in the herbs, scallions and pomegranate seeds. Taste and add more salt, pepper or lemon as needed. Easy peasy.

Guess what's for dinner in our house...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sounds delicious! I wonder would it work cold as a lunch too...I must try it out soon you made it sound too simple not to :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    Tofu in curry - I'm intrigued. I'm pretty rubbish at cooking tofu, do you maybe have a recipe for this?

Well it didn't work exactly as planned.

I made a chickpea curry as normal. The plan was to make baked tikka tofu. I took the the tofu from the packet and wrapped in a few sheets of kitchen paper then pressed between two plates, weighted with cans, for about an hour. There's no need to do that but I've only recently starte to cook with tofu and I find it easier to use when I've pressed it.

Then I marinated it for a few hours in yoghurt, lemon juice and tikka spices (premixed ones). Then fried in butter until a few crispy edges appeared. Now this is where it went wrong. Toddler crying, husband texting to say he'd be late, my dog barking his head off, burned my hand of the edge of a pot and then knocked the rice. So, rather than skewer the pieces and bake for 10 mins as planned I just cursed and threw them into the chickpea curry. It actually worked out well, tasted great.

miamee wrote: »
    Sounds delicious! I wonder would it work cold as a lunch too...I must try it out soon you made it sound too simple not to :D

Yes it's good cold, too. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pasta with bacon and mushroom, with mixed leaves and pickled radishes and onion.

IMG_2494.jpg

Went absolutely mental tonight. I haven't had a mixed grill in a long long time. This is not everyones cup of tea, but it's a meal that was a regular in a lot of restaurants back 20 years ago. It's low tech. Here's the running order.

Main plate. Quarter pounder with fried egg on top. Two rashers. One sausage. Two Lamb cutlets and some grilled tomato.

Side plate 1. Homemade Onion Rings.

Side plate 2. Feckin chips!

I would be embarrased to put up a photo of it as its so far out of touch with healthy living and it does actually take a while to get on the plate. But by feck lads, it was magnificent.

All meat bought fresh from my butcher. Only the chips were frozen. My apologies to the forum for offering up such a prehistoric feast.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Went absolutely mental tonight. I haven't had a mixed grill in a long long time. This is not everyones cup of tea, but it's a meal that was a regular in a lot of restaurants back 20 years ago. It's low tech. Here's the running order.

Main plate. Quarter pounder with fried egg on top. Two rashers. One sausage. Two Lamb cutlets and some grilled tomato.

Side plate 1. Homemade Onion Rings.

Side plate 2. Feckin chips!

I would be embarrased to put up a photo of it as its so far out of touch with healthy living and it does actually take a while to get on the plate. But by feck lads, it was magnificent.

All meat bought fresh from my butcher. Only the chips were frozen. My apologies to the forum for offering up such a prehistoric feast.:D

A feast indeed! Used to be a regular hangover cure when I was in my 20s. You should have added a fried slice and got ready to meet your maker! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Steak, baked potatoes and baked mushrooms here tonight :)

I had a sandwich. It was nice, but now I have had a glass of wine and I want another sandwich. What is an acceptable time period between a dinner sandwich and a pre bed snack sandwich?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Haven't posted here in aaaaaages! Had another little baby boy six months ago and haven't had time to sneeze let alone take photos of my food!

Started SW recently to shed some of my chub so that's motivated me to do new things in the kitchen.

Last night I made mint and rosemary infused new season lamb skewers, basmati rice and a salad of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onions, mint, Greek yogurt, fresh coriander and seasoning. Picked up some spicy mango chutney in Lidl which was lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome back Merkin, hope the little lad is doing well :)

We had an M&S Indian tonight, they had three mains for €14 and we got chicken balti, chicken saag masala and lamb rogan josh. We bought bhajis and naan too and cooked our own basmati rice. It was amazing, easily as nice as a takeaway - next time I'm in M&S I'm going to buy more and freeze them.

IMG_2508.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Congratulations Merkin, hope the little man is doing well. Best of luck with SW.

That looks amazing DB. I'll definitely check them out next time I am near an M&S.

Tonight is take away. Not in the humour of cooking to said a take away it is.

Beef and red wine stew and buttered tagliatelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks so much for good wishes, the little chap is a pudding so doing great thankfully.

Had a lovely striploin last night with new potatoes and a big salad with Cashel Blue. 'Twas nyummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Roast chicken with delicious stuffing, gravy, a few types of spuds and some roasted veg and a snooze on the couch as I was so full after it!!

Stir fried vegetables, marinated tofu and rice

2zznatc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Those curries look soooo good Dizzyblonde - definitely have to try them sometime. I actually bought the 3 meals for 10e in M&S on Saturday - got lasagne, mushroom risotto and bacon, leek and mushroom quiche - had the quiche for dinner on Satuday evening and I wasn't blown away by it to be honest - it was a bit bland :(

Another lazy dinner here tonight. I picked up some pies in The Pieman in Temple Bar today, their pies are delicious. I got beef & Guinness for Mr. Dizzy and chicken, leek & cheddar for me.

IMG_2524.jpg

• Advertisement

Lovely buttery mash and a pile of broccoli, peas, fried onion and fried mushroom, smothered in thick gravy. :cool:

Advertisement