Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Chilli with basmati last night, so quick and easy to make and never lets me down!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We had a 'chuck whatever's in the fridge in it' beef korma last night, it was actually quite good.

Garlic, onion, beef, carrot, asparagus, mushroom, cherry tomatoes, green pepper, a few raisins and threw in some left over rice from the weekend as well as cooking some fresh for on the side. The sauce was from a jar I'm afraid. Plenty left over for lunches too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Shenshen wrote: »
    Stir fried vegetables, marinated tofu and rice

<snipped picture>

Looks delicious! What did you marinate the tofu in??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Teeley wrote: »
    Looks delicious! What did you marinate the tofu in??

I used a recipe from a completely unrelated dish :

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-beer-and-lime-cauliflower-tacos-with-cilantro-coleslaw-51253830

The sauce they're instructing you to cook the cauliflower in, minus the cumin and smoked paprika, essentially. Plus a bit of honey :D

It was pre-fried tofu from an Asian shop, so it soaked up the marinade very well indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A couple of days ago: Enchiladas with side salad. Subbed the sour cream for natural yoghurt and it was delicious.

photo_zpsnf5wm5px.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Steak, spuds and baked mushrooms here tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hey SB how have you been feeling?

We had two curries tonight. One was a garlicky and flavoursome spinach, mushroom and fresh tomato curry. It was dry in that I didn't use a sauce but moist because of the ingredients used. Hard to describe but very tasty. Then the second one was a very spicy chickpea and tinned tomato curry. Loaded with chillis and cumin it was delicious.

Served with fresh coriander, yoghurt, popadoms and mango chutney (as an aside tesco mango chutney is ridiculously cheap and their popadoms are only €1.05. It makes a thrown together dinner seem like there was an effort made)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Anyone have any decent recipe for stew mix? Instead of using the Knorrs Irish Stew pack for example?

Love the pack don't get me wrong, but would come in handy for sometime I can't get to the shop!
    That bean and veg stew looks delish way up.

And regarding dinners as of late...
    Good ol bangers n mash last night! What seemed like XXL sausages, sauteed onions and creamy mash along with bisto gravy. The best!

Night before that was nachos, chilli con carne, hot salsa, jalapenos, sour cream (mixed with natural yoghurt and water to tone it down) and homemade guacamole!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone have any decent recipe for stew mix? Instead of using the Knorrs Irish Stew pack for example?

Love the pack don't get me wrong, but would come in handy for sometime I can't get to the shop!
    That bean and veg stew looks delish way up.

And regarding dinners as of late...
    Good ol bangers n mash last night! What seemed like XXL sausages, sauteed onions and creamy mash along with bisto gravy. The best!

Night before that was nachos, chilli con carne, hot salsa, jalapenos, sour cream (mixed with natural yoghurt and water to tone it down) and homemade guacamole!

I used Jamie's Irish Stew recipe a few weeks ago and it was delicious!
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/irish-stew/

I varied it slightly though by coating the lamb chunks in seasoned flour before frying and I used some lamb stock cubes instead of water. In the slow cooker for 6hours..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

2 slices of Fresh Brennans bread, 1 Mogerly Steak and Kidney Pie, Grated cheese. Put whole pie on bread, cover with grated cheese and put slice of bread in top, Into the microwave for a minute to allow cheese to melt into said pie,
    Cup of tea, Enjoy !

• Advertisement

Steak, salad and chips here tonight :)
    Whispered wrote: »
    Hey SB how have you been feeling?
    Hi :D

I'm doing really well, I feel great. Moving onto the next part of my treatment soon which will hopefully give me the all clear, so I'm excited for that. :D I just can't wait for that day :o:D Thank you so much for asking <3:)

I hope you're all enjoying the lovely sunshine we have today :D

Big celebratory meal when you get the all clear is in order I think!

We had kidney beans, spicy tinned tomato salsa and cheese toasted wraps, with a side of avocado, greek yog, jalapenos and fresh tomato salsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

We had chocolate fudge cake for dinner for the second night running. F*ck it, I'm pregnant!

We had salad for lunch yesterday and chicken wraps today so I don't feel that guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hot weather, so we opted for cold food:

292sj7k.jpg

Pasta salad, potato salad and deviled eggs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had barbecue last night, yay! First time this year. Marinated chicken, ribs and Nandos style rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Chicken drumsticks marinaded in soy sauce and ginger over-night then blasted in the oven. With a massive salad. Al fresco dining with the kids and the sun beaming down..we could have been anywhere!

We spent the morning on the beach so by the time we got home at four we were starving. A quick dinner of brown pasta with homemade pesto and tomato slightly roasted in the air fryer. Side of a baguette, rubbed with garlic and topped with red pepper chutney and goats cheese then toasted.

Very quick and fresh. Perfect for the mood today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Brisket sambo's for the third day now. Class. All gone now. And on Friday, we had pizza. Now I'm not one to start poking around with a base that I'm happy with. But I saw Jamie Oliver say the other day to put a little oil in the bowl when you leave the dough to rise. When I took it out, I kinda shook my head and said this isn't going to work. But it did. And it wasn't overdone. Evenly cooked. And I loaded the crap out of them.

Whispered wrote: »
    Big celebratory meal when you get the all clear is in order I think!

We had kidney beans, spicy tinned tomato salsa and cheese toasted wraps, with a side of avocado, greek yog, jalapenos and fresh tomato salsa.
    Most definitely. I can't wait for it :D
    We had barbecue last night, yay! First time this year. Marinated chicken, ribs and Nandos style rice.
    This sound delicious, how did you do the rice?

Tonight was spicy griddled chicken, salad and home made chips. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I had my 4th BBQ of the year so far tonight. Mexican chili cheese burgers, made by my local butcher. Skewered satay chicken marinaded in a Tesco satay sauce thats new to their range. €1.50 for the small jar. Can be used as a dipping sauce too. Bloody good. Gonna stock up in case it disappears. I recommend it.

Also had some Mexican style slaw that I picked up in Lidl. Lashed up a simple salad of crushed Gem lettuce, sliced cherry tomatoes, finely diced red onion with a splash of white wine vinegar.

Not bad for a Monday night off, as is usual. Neighbours went mad at the weekend and I'm calling it quits in case I disturb them.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Most definitely. I can't wait for it :D

This sound delicious, how did you do the rice?

Tonight was spicy griddled chicken, salad and home made chips. Yum.

Here's the recipe - it makes a huge amount so I usually halve it and it still makes enough for 3-4 people.

2 cups of rice
    4 cups of boiling water
    1/2 finely chopped onion
    1/2 finely chopped red pepper
    1 chicken stock cube
    A handful of frozen peas
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp paprika
    A pinch of chilli powder – optional, depending on how spicy you like it
    Olive oil

Sauté the oil, chopped onion and chopped red pepper in the oli in a large saucepan for a few minutes then add the cumin, chilli powder and paprika cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
    Add 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of boiling water along with the peas, chicken stock cube and the turmeric.
    Bring to the boil and them simmer until all of the water is absorbed which is usually around 20 minutes. You’ll need to stir it regularly as it sticks to the bottom of the pan and burns very easily.

Curried cauliflower soup and homemade crusty bread.

The soup was a bit bland so I doubled the spices. Still bland so I threw in some garam masala. Still lacking something so whacked in some hot sauce. Went too far with that, but it worked out ok. Next time I'd coat the cauliflower in spices before roasting it, and use less stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

We had roasted veg (red onion, peppers, sweet potato and garlic) and lemon and garlic chicken breasts. Whenever I have done this before I used a whole chicken so the lemon garlic chicken breasts were a first. I loosely wrapped them in foil so there were loads of juices around them and they stayed really moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Red pepper stuffed with a sort of turkey chilli, some feta on top and salad. Got a little well done.

I'm so in love with baked feta lately I don't want to eat anything else.

We had char siu pork steak on the barbecue tonight. I started off small but went back for more pork ;)

IMG_2587.jpg

kylith wrote: »
    Curried cauliflower soup and homemade crusty bread.

The soup was a bit bland so I doubled the spices. Still bland so I threw in some garam masala. Still lacking something so whacked in some hot sauce. Went too far with that, but it worked out ok. Next time I'd coat the cauliflower in spices before roasting it, and use less stock.

To undo bland, try chilli oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Grandeeod wrote: »

I've been experimenting with soups and finding blandness a problem. Find that Fish Sauce adds good depth and a dash of Five spice. I use the Squid brand, a huge bottle for a couple of euro in the Asian shop. Must try some Chili Oil on the next batch!

QueenRizla wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with soups and finding blandness a problem. Find that Fish Sauce adds good depth and a dash of Five spice. I use the Squid brand, a huge bottle for a couple of euro in the Asian shop. Must try some Chili Oil on the next batch!

Fish sauce is great and 5 spice, I can't live without, but Chili oil has always been a staple in my kitchen for certain dishes. Use it sparingly to add flavour and kick. Fab when added to Asian style soups.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I used a jalapeno sauce, but it's not ideal because I'm very sensitive to heat and I don't like it. I prefer food to be spiced than spicy. A quarter teaspoon was the difference between 'did I put enough in' and 'Oh gods, I've made a horrible mistake'.
    QueenRizla wrote: »

Good to know, but OH is practically vegan so I've even had to stop chucking worchestershire in everything :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kylith wrote: »

Good to know, but OH is practically vegan so I've even had to stop chucking worchestershire in everything :(

vegan?

tell him/her to fup off and make their own dinner then

Advertisement