Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

It was a very simple and late lunch.
    A large piece of whiting from fishmongers last week and frozen fresh. Fried on the pan and ate with a wedge of lemon. Delcious.
    But very hungry now.
    Can you still buy that old style Paxo breadcrumbs packet?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

kylith wrote: »

Good to know, but OH is practically vegan so I've even had to stop chucking worchestershire in everything

Wonder if there's anywhere sells Henderson's, Yorkshire's answer to Worcestershire sauce? It doesn't have anchovies, so it's at least vegetarian, if not vegan.

(Whatever it tastes like - I've never found it - it's got a rotten website.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

lawred2 wrote: »
    vegan?

tell him/her to fup off and make their own dinner then

I'd have said the same a few months ago but other than the fact that the cheese is woeful the food's pretty tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

BBQ again tonight.

More Mexican chili cheese burgers. Full chicken fillets marinaded in the Tesco Satay sauce. Homemade potato salad made from baby spuds, finely diced red onion, parsley and mayo. Knocked up a side salad too from the leftover baby gem lettuce, onion, cherry tomatoes and peppers. A dash or two of white wine vinegar with a sprinkle of coriander.

Lads it was bloody great. To top it all off the icecream man called and we have just finished with two monster 99's! The wine is nearly gone too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Good to know, but OH is practically vegan so I've even had to stop chucking worchestershire in everything :(

Tesco have a vegetarian Worchestershire sauce - I'm not sure it's vegan, though, but doesn't taste any different (as far as I can tell :D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken fillet with a tandoori spice rub, fried with thinly sliced mushrooms and onions and a couple of chopped tomatoes. A little chicken stock added at the end, and served with veggie rice once again.

IMG_2588.jpg
    upload photos to internet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Last night I made meatballs stuff with jalapenos and cheese, with a veg, chilli and noodle stir fry

Tonight we went to Bru House in Fairview and got chicken wings and chips and a pint in the roof garden

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Take away tonight.

Rough day today so needed some comforting.

Chips and meatballs with lots of garlic mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ref the curried cauliflower soup add some curry paste and coconut milk instead of lots of stock ,works well with thai red paste and green, and ive used madras paste too, use along with all your other ingredients

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had lasagna tonight. I made it with Aldi fresh pasta sheets - I'm never using dried ones again, there's no comparison.

IMG_2589.jpg
    temporary photo sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

We had lasagna tonight. I made it with Aldi fresh pasta sheets - I'm never using dried ones again, there's no comparison.

Interesting! I never thought of using fresh sheets but I do love lasagne. I have a Jamie Oliver pasta maker that is still in the box..i might have a go this weekend.

We had spaghetti bolognaise- it is up there with my favourite comfort food. My husband made it, so I was nervous enough. He usually over flavours and seasons but it was really lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Got a Vindaloo in Bombay Pantry earlier, The way things are now, I could be up at 4am wiping my arse with a snowball !

Interesting! I never thought of using fresh sheets but I do love lasagne. I have a Jamie Oliver pasta maker that is still in the box..i might have a go this weekend.

We had spaghetti bolognaise- it is up there with my favourite comfort food. My husband made it, so I was nervous enough. He usually over flavours and seasons but it was really lovely.

Absolutely have to get back to making my own lasagne. Out of practice. I used to add peppers to mine too for extra kick. Great to see that fresh pasta sheets are back.
    chillin117 wrote: »
    Got a Vindaloo in Bombay Pantry earlier, The way things are now, I could be up at 4am wiping my arse with a snowball !

Got a Madras from the local lads. Its still in the oven on a low heat. But hey, its still holiday time for me, I'm allowed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Absolutely have to get back to making my own lasagne. Out of practice. I used to add peppers to mine too for extra kick. Great to see that fresh pasta sheets are back.

Any chance ye can recommend a lasagna recipe? I love it but always end up going down the Dolmio packet route..... :o

Do! So many people think making pasta is hard, but it's not. However, it is time consuming.

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Any chance ye can recommend a lasagna recipe? I love it but always end up going down the Dolmio packet route..... :o

No problem. This is how I made the one yesterday and I think it was the nicest yet. I read here in the forum about adding beef stock and it really works.

1lb/500g of lean minced beef
    A couple of finely chopped streaky rashers or a packet of bacon bits/lardons
    I carrot, finely diced
    I stick of celery, finely diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon of tomato purée
    About half a mug of beef stock (made with an Oxo cube)
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    1 heaped teaspoon of dried oregano
    1 heaped teaspoon of dried basil
    1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
    olive oil

Fry the bacon in a tiny bit of olive oil until it's crisp. Add more oil and the onion, carrot, and celery and cook gently until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and beef and fry until the meat is brown. Add everything else (you might not need all of the stock so add about half and see how it goes), partly cover and simmer gently for at least an hour.

I make a basic white sauce, or sometimes use a Knorr packet and I add grated cheddar to the sauce before layering it all up. I put very little of it in the layers and pour most over the top, then grate parmesan all over it. With the fresh pasta sheets it took only 30 minutes to cook at 180C.

Where is everyone?

I had a Chicken Madras last night with Basmati rice. Very bold considering my Sunday intake. That said my Madras is pretty low fat in terms of how I make it. I was going to do some beef in Guinness sauce tonight, but didn't have the time. It's a dish I adore, but takes a bit of time. So I opted for easy comfort food and another curry. Chinese style this time using my tried and trusted paste. However my Butcher tempted me with his new salt and chili chicken. Therefore its a bowl of my curry and a bowl of the oven cooked salt and chili chicken and chips. Going common with the chips tonight and no rice. As I said - very bold!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

As I said - very bold!

I'll give you bold and stodgy - floury steamed shpuds with 2 cheese croquettes (literally cheese in breadcrumbs) and a pile of mange tout. Followed by a bar of chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Skinless boneless thighs marinated in greek yoghurt, spices, oil, salt and lemon juice. Direct heat on skewers over lumpwood charcoal and served on naan bread... why have i never eaten chicken thigh meat off the bbq!? I'm never eating chicken breast again!

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I'll give you bold and stodgy - floury steamed shpuds with 2 cheese croquettes (literally cheese in breadcrumbs) and a pile of mange tout. Followed by a bar of chocolate.

Bloody great!

Skinless boneless thighs marinated in greek yoghurt, spices, oil, salt and lemon juice. Direct heat on skewers over lumpwood charcoal and served on naan bread... why have i never eaten chicken thigh meat off the bbq!? I'm never eating chicken breast again!

Chicken thighs on the BBQ are something else. I leave the skin on. Oyster thighs in particular. Skin and meat rolls off together. Mmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭snapper1234

Had uhh boneless pepperchicken pizza with the cheese under the bread. Also had a skinless slice of steak and ice cream

Where is everyone?

This week's dinners have been posted too many times already :rolleyes:
    The barbecue is 'resting' at the moment.

Ooo! Recipe please!

Having a bbq Saturday and looking for something interesting to do with chicken for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Whispered wrote: »

Tis grand, you've all the essential* food groups right there!

*Yes, chocolate is essential - it's practically a vegetable when you really really think about it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Ooo! Recipe please!

Having a bbq Saturday and looking for something interesting to do with chicken for it.

Check out "turkish chicken kebabs" by "food wishes" on youtube. Sooo tasty - particularly with a few beers!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had IKEA meatballs, home made chips, peas, cream sauce and lingonberry jam. Lidl knock off Oreo ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Just home with some lambs liver, Have mushrooms and onions too. I want to slow cook the lot in a pan with a lid on, I might sound expert but havent a clue. I saw someone doing it on tv once and it looked nice, Apart from that, I am lost !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

We had honey and mustard glazed ham, broccoli and potato gratin. I didn't have to make it, which means it was extra delicious!

Advertisement