Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

chillin117 wrote: »
    Just home with some lambs liver, Have mushrooms and onions too. I want to slow cook the lot in a pan with a lid on, I might sound expert but havent a clue. I saw someone doing it on tv once and it looked nice, Apart from that, I am lost !

Probably too late now, but my mother soaks it in milk for a few minutes while she fries the onions, then fries the liver on both sides before adding some tea (no milk) and letting it simmer for a few minutes. I can't vouch for it personally because I don't like liver :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was a perfect day for a roast. We had pork shoulder with roasted new potatoes.

IMG_2613.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

chillin117 wrote: »
    Just home with some lambs liver, Have mushrooms and onions too. I want to slow cook the lot in a pan with a lid on, I might sound expert but havent a clue. I saw someone doing it on tv once and it looked nice, Apart from that, I am lost !

I love lambs liver. I usually dip in flour and seasoning and flash fry. Not sure what the slow cooker would add as it's so tender and quick to cook anyway. Don't get me wrong I love the slow cooker but wouldn't have thought to put liver in it.
    Are you going to brown it first? Be interested to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Grandeeod wrote:
    Where is everyone?

I only post when it's: a) something worth posting about and I haven't posted it before; b) photo-worthy and c) I got a decent photo of it.

And then when all those conditions are met I also have to be posting from the desktop site rather than the app, which is very rare for me. Really wish they'd sort the app out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I went very heavy on food the past week. Shame on me. Tonight I had two poached eggs, on lightly toasted McCambridge bread, with some spicy mayo and rocket. There was just about a glass of Vina sol left so I had that too.:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dinner. Lentil dahl, roasted cauliflower, some kind of onion, potato and rice cooked in coconut cream, and tandori chicken. Disappointingly, the chicken doesn't float my boat, and I put the mist amount of work into it by marinating it yesterday.

421160.jpg[img][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Will you share your lentil dahl recpe? Is it good? I've been using a synthesis of a couple of internet recipes (which I can't find at the moment) with oily toor dahl. It's OK.

arian wrote: »
    Will you share your lentil dahl recpe? Is it good? I've been using a synthesis of a couple of internet recipes (which I can't find at the moment) with oily toor dahl. It's OK.

Seen as I have nothing to compare it too, it was amazing! Just did a search, and the happy pear red lentil dahl came up. No oil used either!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Here's the rwo recipes I've been playing with:
    Hyderabadi Khatti Dal
    Dal Fry

Toor dal comes as dry or oily.

Found Red Lentil Dahl on the Happy Pear site, but haven't watched the video yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

No problem. This is how I made the one yesterday and I think it was the nicest yet. I read here in the forum about adding beef stock and it really works.

1lb/500g of lean minced beef
    A couple of finely chopped streaky rashers or a packet of bacon bits/lardons
    I carrot, finely diced
    I stick of celery, finely diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon of tomato purée
    About half a mug of beef stock (made with an Oxo cube)
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    1 heaped teaspoon of dried oregano
    1 heaped teaspoon of dried basil
    1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
    olive oil

Fry the bacon in a tiny bit of olive oil until it's crisp. Add more oil and the onion, carrot, and celery and cook gently until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and beef and fry until the meat is brown. Add everything else (you might not need all of the stock so add about half and see how it goes), partly cover and simmer gently for at least an hour.

I make a basic white sauce, or sometimes use a Knorr packet and I add grated cheddar to the sauce before layering it all up. I put very little of it in the layers and pour most over the top, then grate parmesan all over it. With the fresh pasta sheets it took only 30 minutes to cook at 180C.

Haven't been on in a few days so only getting to say thanks now :) Must give fresh pasta sheets a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Butter-fried parsley potatoes with halloumi and a cob of sweetcorn with loads of butter... soooo yummy!

9iqs8j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shenshen how did you do the halloumi? How thickly sliced is it and for how long do you fry/grill? I always find it a bit rubbery and salty but I love salty cheeses so I must be doing something wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Pork steaks done on the BBQ, marinated in BBQ sauce and franks hot sauce, not both! Served with sweet corn, mash and carrots/parsnip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

A block of haloumi to yourself?!

Whispered wrote: »
    Shenshen how did you do the halloumi? How thickly sliced is it and for how long do you fry/grill? I always find it a bit rubbery and salty but I love salty cheeses so I must be doing something wrong!

I normally slice it from the small side, but with this one there was a split in it when I opened the packet, running nearly all the way through the middle lengthwise. So I just sliced through the rest, and put one of the halves in a griddle pan.
    I didn't time it, so I can't say exactly how long it would have been in the pan - normally when I can see the griddle pan lines underneath, I flip it over. When I can see them on the other side, too, it's done.
    But it stays a little rubbery - I think that's cause it's the cheap stuff from Aldi.

A block of haloumi to yourself?!

*lol No it's only half. I cut it through lengthwise.

Tonight I made General Tso's Tofu :

2e1yf02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was new potatoes with butter.

Tonight was Indian.

Got out of hospital yesterday so wanted a treat tonight :) Well deserved after a week of hospital food I think! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

939FC4E4-5510-4493-AE2D-497AB527355B_zps1cepao7p.jpg

Baked Salmon with a lemon and caper butter, served with a quintet of salads -

Chickpea with Red Onion and Tomato,
    Green Bean,
    Courgette and Baby Mozzarella,
    Beetroot and Cottage Cheese and
    Tomato and Mozzarella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I made us mushroom, leek and tarragon pasta with garlic bruchetta and a tomato salad.

Got the recipe from Gordon Ramsey on YouTube it was gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

We had chinese takeaway style chicken curry, roughly chopped onion stirfried with chicken thigh fillets, and some garden peas, made up with some "Mayflower" curry sauce. (it's actually sold as a curry powder, which you add water to)

My friend had been raving about this curry sauce now for quite some time, so after spotting some in a butchers, I decided to buy some.

Anyone that likes a Chinese takeaway curry is going to really like this curry sauce, honestly I found it quite difficult to tell the difference. Really really good product.

Finished it off with some homemade mango sorbet. That was made using some frozen mango pieces that I threw in the food-processor, drizzled with honey, then added 4/5 tablespoons of natural yoghurt, and just gave a blast in the FP.

It was very good, I'd definitely make it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I love to see a home produced takeaway meal as I do it regularly and its more often than not better than the takeway.

Mayflower powder seems to be very popular. Personally, I'm not a fan. The Goldfish Chinese style paste is my fave for replicating the takeaway. I reckon its a lot closer to what we get from a takeaway. A few drops of chili oil into it and you're away. That said, your meal sounded great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mrs. Loire hit the jackpot with a salad last night - rocket, walnuts, feta and strawberries. There was something else too but I can't remember. Anyway, it was fab. Had this with roast sweet potato and breaded chicken fillet fried off in butter and garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A pile of potato wedges with the skin still on and covered in paprika and a nice big portion of chunky coleslaw. I didn't have mayo so it was a bit dry but tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

We had pulled pork on buns and homemade wedges with a salt and chilli seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Last night we went to Pitt Bro's and got pulled pork, sausage and ribs with onion rings and mac and cheese. Half of it was left, huge portions that we were not expecting. Came with free ice cream too.

Tonight I made carbonara from scratch. Absolute disaster, it went completely wrong on me.

We ate the garlic and chili bread instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tandoori Chicken with Cauliflower Korma and Curried Rice Salad

F55874E1-461A-4438-A319-BFF02603B41F_zps5usoslqv.jpg

Last night we ribs off the Joe. 5 hours at 225, with sauce on it for the last hour. Class. My friend had his new girlfriend over, chatting away at the fridge, and she spots boquerones. Puts them on a plate with extra virgin olive oil, 4 crushed garlic cloves and a sprinkle of paprika. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was pizza.

Tonight is rack of lamb, new baby potatoes, vegetables and gravy. I got the all clear from cancer so I said feck it and treated myself to rack of lamb :D Absolutely cannot wait for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

^^^ That's fabulous news, congratulations!!!! ^^^

(The dinner sounds pretty good too :D)

Advertisement