Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

B0jangles wrote: »
    ^^^ That's fabulous news, congratulations!!!! ^^^

(The dinner sounds pretty good too :D)
    Thank you so much :D I can't believe it's gone. Oh the joys!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Excellent news!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulaions SB, that's brilliant news! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Last night was pizza.

Tonight is rack of lamb, new baby potatoes, vegetables and gravy. I got the all clear from cancer so I said feck it and treated myself to rack of lamb :D Absolutely cannot wait for it :D

I hope you are having something to raise a toast to good health and if not make an imaginary toast! Great news for you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Absolutely fantastic news SB.

So pleased for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thank you all so much. I haven't celebrated properly yet, going to do that after I finish all treatment, hoping to go to Shanahans for a celebratory meal, expensive, but worth it for something like this I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Thank you so much :D I can't believe it's gone. Oh the joys!! :D

Delighted for you! I've been there with my wife for the last 5 years. So far so good...again. Best of luck and enjoy Shanahans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just made Pad Thai for dinner. Lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken breast with new potatoes and coleslaw. For dessert I made strawberry shortbread with mascarpone cream.

IMG_2685.jpg

We had a bbq. I had veggie sausages in a big floury bun with hot dog sauce. Tandoori aubergine, BBQ baked potato and a Greek salad with fresh oregano and lemon dressing. The men of the house had all of the above with quarter pounders and pork sausages plus sweet potato fish cakes.
    Followed by Oreo cookie Icecream and raspberries.

The toddler ate more than I've ever seen before. Tried a bit of everything and pigged out on burgers and tomatoes. He loved it. Will definitely be doing it more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Veggie cevapcici with couscous/taboulleh, tsatsiki and ajvar

dm6ss2.jpg

I had a break from cooking due to work. But I got back in the saddle over the weekend. Last night in particular was a really nice Sweet and Sour Chicken dish with rice. I buy the catering size Uncle Bens sauce in a wholesalers. It's just the sauce without any "bits" in it. Not sold in shops. That allows me to add what I want. So it was just onion and green pepper. Not a fan of pineapple or carrot which some recipes use. As usual I dipped the chicken pieces in milk and cornflower and fried off. Then into the wok with the veg, add sauce for a few mins and done. To think I used to pay money to a takeaway for a far less fresher and inferiour version.

Tonight, it's a chicken Madras. Had some new arrivals on the Coriander plant, so chopped lots up and popped it in. A squeeze of lemon too. Basmati rice and good to go. Tomorrow, it's more traditional. I need a nice roast dinner to offset the quest for spice.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Veggie cevapcici

I've never heard of it, so looked it up and can only find beef and pork recipes. What is it? Looks fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Whispered wrote: »
    I've never heard of it, so looked it up and can only find beef and pork recipes. What is it? Looks fab!

The traditional recipe is meat, but I usually either use veggie sausage mix for the base (when I'm in a hurry), or I roast and puree an aubergine and blend it with chickpeas and egg if I've got more time. You could also use soy mince, I suppose, or tofu.

The interesting bit is the spices, anyway - lots of paprika (I used 4 tsp for 15 mini-sausages), some smoked paprika, a bit of cumin, a bit of chili, chopped onions, a good handful of chopped parsley. I can't really give any exact measurements as I always do it by "feel".
    They should end up tasting like mini-kebabs, which is what the name means :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

@StripedBoxers

Congrats and well done!!

It was a perfect day for a roast. We had pork shoulder with roasted new potatoes.

Hi,

That pork looks amazing, would you mind telling me how you cooked it?

Tks,
    Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

That pork looks amazing, would you mind telling me how you cooked it?

Tks,
    Loire.
    No problem.
    It was a 2kg joint so you'd probably want to shorten the cooking time by half an hour for a smaller one. There was no rind on it. I rubbed it all over with about a teaspoon each of garlic granules, black pepper and sea salt, and a good pinch of smoked paprika. Then I roasted it for three hours at 170C. In the last hour I covered it with tinfoil then removed it for the last 10 minutes. The leftovers freeze really well.

No problem.
    It was a 2kg joint so you'd probably want to shorten the cooking time by half an hour for a smaller one. There was no rind on it. I rubbed it all over with about a teaspoon each of garlic granules, black pepper and sea salt, and a good pinch of smoked paprika. Then I roasted it for three hours at 170C. In the last hour I covered it with tinfoil then removed it for the last 10 minutes. The leftovers freeze really well.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No problem.

It makes me cry a little when they remove all the skin from pork ðŸ½.

I remember once buying a whole pig to divide between a few friends. The farmer decided to use a different butcher than previously. There wasn't a single bone left or a scrap of skin. That was a dark day. I thought Mrs Beer might never get over it! Organised our own butchering after that travesty.

I was up real early this morning and decided to make a Quiche Lorraine for the first time in a while. It was completed by 10am. Then work. Tonight it was reheated and served with a nice salad and coleslaw. It was massive for such an old fashioned dish. Oh I remember when quiche lorraine was on many a menu.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I tend to avoid the food courts in shopping centres but had limited choices this evening. Had an good stirfry from an 'asian street food' kiosk. Not as good as you would cook yourself but I have paid a lot more in restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Potato and mushroom fritatta, and a bit of garlic bread. A rather tasteless chocolate cake for dessert*.

* I didn't mind too much; I'm not actually that keen on chocolate cake, and at least the texture was great and it was lovely and moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Spinach and sweet potato frittata with a side salad and a cold beer outside in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I also had a frittata and a cold beer. Mine was potato and mushroom, and was served with a side of garlic bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Simple dinner last night, but my favourite. I wish I had a picture (maybe next time!)

This is for one person. Good olive oil in a pan on a medium heat and add a good two handfuls of halved cherry tomatoes (good quality) cut side down. Let them heat but not fry and begin squashing them slightly to release their water once they soften. Add chilli (one full red) and sliced garlic (two cloves). Again, let it flavour the oil and slightly sizzle, the water released from the tomatoes should ensure they are not actually frying.

Add finely chopped parsley and a handful of fresh basil leaves. Add a half cup of spaghetti (or other pasta) water and season (pepper should suffice if your pasta water is already seasoned). The oil and water should emulsify and become almost creamy. I sometimes add a squeeze of lemon juice here if I happen to have one.

Add in your spaghetti and coat and toss in the pan. Serve in a large bowl, topped with finely grated parmesan, some small fresh basil leaves, and good extra virgin olive oil. I sometimes top with a small amount of crispy pancetta that I've fried in a separate pan also.

Wine is a welcome accompaniment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

utwls.jpg

Vietnamese BBQ Pork Skewers
    Asian Chicken Skewers
    Asian Noodle Salad

Gloomtastic! your photo isn't showing, just a reminder to update your Photobucket account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Gloomtastic! your photo isn't showing, just a reminder to update your Photobucket account.

They're looking for me to pay for sharing my images on here! Bye bye Photobucket!

Signed up to tinypic but haven't found out how to rotate images yet.

I can't get tinypic to work from my phone, and it can be hit and miss with the laptop too. Lately I've been using postimages.org, it's more reliable but I haven't tried it with my phone yet.

Edit: postimages.org works perfectly with the phone :)
    This is the M50 burger and fries I had in Eddie Rocket's tonight.

IMG_2730.jpg

• Advertisement

Gloomtastic, it may be sideways but I'd eat it anyway!

Advertisement