Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Day 2 of prep eating: roast veg stew. This is properly delicious. I threw some paprika sausages in there too. Probably going to wind up as day 3's dinner as well; it makes loads!

ETA: I don't know why the photos are attaching upside down. Stupid phone.

EETA: Can anyone recommend a decent photo hosting site now Photobucket's gone stupid?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

kylith wrote: »
    Day 2 of prep eating: roast veg stew. This is properly delicious. I threw some paprika sausages in there too. Probably going to wind up as day 3's dinner as well; it makes loads!

ETA: I don't know why the photos are attaching upside down. Stupid phone.

EETA: Can anyone recommend a decent photo hosting site now Photobucket's gone stupid?

I'm using postimages.org, it's easy and gives the option to rotate your photos

http://postimages.org

I'm using postimages.org, it's easy and gives to option to rotate your photos

http://postimages.org

Woo!

IMG_2907.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Shenshen wrote: »
    I have to admit that I bought the seitan. But making it myself is definitely on my to-do list.
    It was actually the Viana from that link, Grandeeod, only I got it in a health food shop here in Cork.

Oh no, I'm glad to hear it was shop-bought; ideally I want to try it as it is supposed to taste before I try making my own at some point :). Have you ever tried the mock duck etc. they have in cans in the asian markets? I was googling around about seitan yesterday and came across it - I've seen it loads of times in my local store but I never copped what it really was.

this stuff:

XAgIRT0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Its a good site to order from when I know I have vegetarian/vegan friends over for dinner and I partake myself. I cook from their recipies and really enjoy it. So I may take this brief opportunity to compliment you on many of your dishes which always look delish. A couple of weeks ago I got engaged with a Vegan on another thread and I was appalled by their militant stance. I enjoy the cuisine and I promise that next time the guys are over I will do my best to post pics of my offerings despite being a meat eater.

Thank you! :) Shame there's no blushing smiley I can use here.

I dislike the militants among the Vegetarians and Vegans, I find they come across as if they don't actually enjoy what they're doing, but need to inflict righteousness on others. I've encountered a few online who were as fire-and-brimstone dogmatic as any Pentecostal preacher. But thankfully they are very few and far between, and I've never had the displeasure of meeting one IRL.
    People should eat what they fancy, in my view, so my militancy only extends to me usually only thanking posts with non-meat dishes :D
    And I'm always happy to come across new things when people post their food, I've taken so many ideas from this thread already. Looking forward to seeing those pics from you.

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    Oh no, I'm glad to hear it was shop-bought; ideally I want to try it as it is supposed to taste before I try making my own at some point :). Have you ever tried the mock duck etc. they have in cans in the asian markets? I was googling around about seitan yesterday and came across it - I've seen it loads of times in my local store but I never copped what it really was.

this stuff:

You know, I bought a tin of that years and years ago. It sat in the cupboard for a long time, as I had no idea what it would taste like, so kept putting off using it so much until I eventually forgot we had it. It got thrown out when I re-discovered it and realised it was year out of date at that point :D

I would definitely recommend the Viana, it had really nice taste and texture. I think it was the texture I actually liked best, I sometimes miss having something a bit chewey (like meat or sausages) in my meals. And I'm not generally the biggest fan of meat-substitutes, mostly because they are a bit on the expensive side and because I don't really like the idea of "substituting" meat in a dish. I leave it up for philosophical debate if Seitan is such a substitute, or an ingredient in its own right.

Cheers for the viana recommend :D - I'm currently inching my way towards vegetarianism largely because I feel like such a tick for going 'aww' over videos of lovely friendly chickens and cattle then going off and eating them :( Some kind of meaty-textured replacement would be a nice addition to the ingredient choices since I already like tofu.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Nowhere near as adventurous as other posters but we had a simple fish pie.

IMG_20170721_160626.jpg

Gnocchi (shop bought ones, Lidl had them on offer earlier this week) in a sage and rosemary butter with sundried tomatoes, a side of roasted sweet potato cubes with a good bit of garlic, and a bit of salad.

keyaly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

so my militancy only extends to me usually only thanking posts with non-meat dishes :D

I understand that completely! I thank a lot of veggie dishes because for us meat eaters they tend to look and taste great either as a stand alone dish or as an partner to some meat. That's not militancy Shenshen, its your thing and stick by it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Slow cooked shoulder of lamb balti last night with rice, limes, yoghurt and mango chutney. Strawberries and cream for dessert.

Tonight it's chicken, sausage and vegetable bake with a honey mustard dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Monday - New potatoes, fried eggs and gammon steaks.
    Tuesday - New Potatoes, chicken kiev and some veg.
    Weds - Steak, new spuds, peas
    Thurs - Nandos
    Fri - Pizza

No idea what to have today. Maybe fish. I'll see what I get in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Monday - New potatoes, fried eggs and gammon steaks.
    Tuesday - New Potatoes, chicken kiev and some veg.
    Weds - Steak, new spuds, peas
    Thurs - Nandos
    Fri - Pizza

No idea what to have today. Maybe fish. I'll see what I get in town.

You should have new potatoes to mix it up a bit... Something different . :pac:

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    You should have new potatoes to mix it up a bit... Something different . :pac:

:D:D:D:D

IKEA meatballs and mash, with gravy. So good.

Paneer Chana Masala and Poppadums

14o94t5.jpg

Paneer Chana Masala and Poppadums

Oh my goodness, I would probably devour that in about 2 mouthfuls; I adore anything with paneer and that looks just so goooood...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Tapas yesterday. There was a really lovely tomato topped bread, vegatables paella, a saute mushroom dish and some prawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I made lasagna for the first time yesterday, all from scratch (except the lasagna sheets). It turned out lovely.

My brother in law told me to crumble up some black pudding with the mince, it melted into and gave it a mellow taste.

I made the all the sauces from scratch and packed it full of vegetables.

We used 3 different types of cheese too.

It was absolutely gorgeous, I have loads in the freezer too.

We had it with home made wedges and homemade coleslaw.

Next time I'm going to do a vegetarian lasagna or a turkey one.

Nachos topped with chili con veggies, melted cheese and jalapenos.

Didn't get a chance to take a picture, it was gone so quick. And I've definitely eaten way, way, way too much of it.
    I don't regret a thing!

• Advertisement

I made a chicken tagine with cous-cous, and some Lebanese flat bread and hummus for dipping.

Enjoyed outside with the sunshine on our backs.

I am sad to report that there are absolutely no leftovers.

Dmi6sx.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had home made pizzas tonight :)

IMG_2792.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

RasTa wrote: »
    Day 11 of hospital food yesterday, think it's slowly killing me. Donegal catch with white sauce, mash and carrots cooked so much they were as soft as the mash.

Salad for tea last night where they gave me two sachets of mayo for the dressing.

Going out for dinner today, even if they say no.

I know where you're coming from. I'm out after 8 weeks of hospital food (went in on my wedding anniversary when we had planned a lovely meal out). Worst was chicken curry with cabbage.

Anyway, the same daily meals myself & my wife usually cook now taste extra magnificent. I won't ever take home cooking for granted again

Tonight was a lovely, mild, Thai Green Curry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Salmon Fish Cakes with Vietnamese Prawn and Pineapple Salad, Coleslaw, Green Bean Salad and Beetroot and Cottage Cheese. Al fresco! :)

IMG_4387.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Genaro's homemade lasagne last night with leftovers again tonight! No mince beef used - housekeepers cut beef, skinless sausage, tomatoes, basil, garlic and wine are braised for 4 hours to make the ragu. Homemade bechamel sauce with mozzarella and parmesan in each layer.... I'm just not counting the calories...

Roast chicken, new spuds, veg and gravy tonight.

Haven't had roast chicken in ages and it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Roast chicken, new spuds, veg and gravy tonight.

Me too! Although we had pepper sauce instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I made a chicken tagine with cous-cous, and some Lebanese flat bread and hummus for dipping.

Enjoyed outside with the sunshine on our backs.

I am sad to report that there are absolutely no leftovers.

Hey, looks lovely! Did you make the flatbread?

Hey, looks lovely! Did you make the flatbread?

Thanks.

No, sorry they were store bought (my local Asian shop) I usually buy a few packs at a time, and freeze them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Thanks.

No, sorry they were store bought (my local Asian shop) I usually buy a few packs at a time, and freeze them.

That's really helpful information! I would never have thought to check an Asian shop!

Advertisement