Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Red lentil curry with all the sides, glass of red and good tv.

What makes a dhal different to a curry does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Turkey and spinach burgers with a salad and salt and chilli chips.

White wine and game of thrones to add :)

Also for dessert a cheese board with this beautiful smoked cheese my housemate got.

And more wine of course

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Carbonara. One whole egg, three yolks, Parmesan, mushroom, bacon, lots of garlic and black pepper.

IMG_2919.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whispered wrote: »
    Red lentil curry with all the sides, glass of red and good tv.

What makes a dhal different to a curry does anybody know?

Curry doesn't really mean anything.
    Dhal could be considered a lentil curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Linguine with garlic and chili in an avocado sauce. Looked rather awful, but tasted very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Curry doesn't really mean anything.
    Dhal could be considered a lentil curry.

I do a mean aubergine dhal.

I try and have at least one meat free meal a week, and tbh, the aubergine that I reserve for the final product gives the dish enough of a chunky, meat like texture that you really don't miss any meat being there.

I roast an aubergine cut in to chunks in a roasting tray with red onion and garlic and ginger with a curry paste (usually rogan Josh or madras) for about twenty minutes.

After the veg has roasted, tip half of the veg into a pot, and add a cup and a half of lentils, crumble in a veg stock cube, and boil it all up with 2 litres of water or so for 1-1.5 hrs.

When thickened up, serve on homemade chapattis, with basmati rice, and add spoonfuls of your roasted aubergine and onion.

As good as any takeaway.

That sounds fab. What brand of curry paste do you use and do you just toss the veg in it? Definitely one I'd like to try.

That sounds fab. What brand of curry paste do you use and do you just toss the veg in it? Definitely one I'd like to try.

Yes, toss everything well up before roasting. Im not sure if you could marinate for too long, as the aubergine might discolour.

I use a brand of paste (which name escapes me right now) from my local Asian shop, it's an Indian brand, but I know pataks do both madras and rogan Josh in paste form.

I am heading away for a few days from tomorrow, so won't be in my kitchen, but I'll try and knock one up early next week, and post some pics

Last night I made egg fried rice, a tonne of roasted veg and a turkey and spinach burger with Franks hot sauce.

Tonight is fish fingers, chips and a tonne of roasted veg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chilli con carne tonight - nice and warming with the wind and rain lashing against the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Linguine Carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Scottish beer battered haddock, new potatoes with butter and mushy peas. Yumm !

Sandwich and teeny measly portion chips. I made pasta but somehow made the rankest sauce EVER and the dogs even had second thoughts.

M&S crab and prawn macaroni cheese.

'Twas quite nice, but a bit sweet for my taste and too lemony, which overpowered the seafood, imo.

Dinner bubbling away smelling great. Chili con carne for the gentlemen and chilli non carne for me.

Had some left over pork fillet in the slow cooker from yesterday.

Shredded it, stirfried it in the wok with some crushed garlic, ginger, finely diced onion, shredded carrots with a splash of soy sauce.

Added some cold rice and garden peas, turned up the heat and cracked in a couple of eggs and a shake of Thai seven spice for some pork fried rice.

Served with mini (shop bought) spring rolls and some Chinese style curry sauce (mayflower,. Shop bought)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Dinner bubbling away smelling great. Chili con carne for the gentlemen and chilli non carne for me.

Chilli non carne! That's a great name!

^ Snap-ish! :)

Slow-roasted pork fillet with plum sauce on noodles.

IMG_4388.jpg

I came home late from work and my housemate made me pizza rolls. The stuffing was applewood and smoked cheese, mushrooms and pepperoni. We had a side of new spuds and roasted veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

423529.jpg

Baked Pesto Salmon with Mushroom Risotto

• Advertisement

M&S Count on Us Stroganoff. A bit Bland, but ok.

(Don't judge the lack of cooking; I wanted to try the Seafood Mac n Cheese and they had a deal on...)

Fish Tacos, deep-fried in beer batter, served with a Kiwi, Lime & Chilli Salsa, shredded Cabbage, Carrot and Coriander, Natural Yogurt and served in mini Tortillas or Taco Baskets for the kids.

IMG_4390.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Looks fab Gloomtastic!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Looks fab Gloomtastic!

It was bloody delicious!!! Jamie Oliver is a legend! :)

I went for the pork chops. I accompanied them with Ikea mash, fried button mushrooms, and a creamy cider and mustard sauce. I swear to you it tasted 500 times better than it looks in the photo.

IMG_2925.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

It was bloody delicious!!! Jamie Oliver is a legend! :)

Yep Jamie can translate a lot of stuff onto our plates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I love fish tacos

I picked up a weber gas bbq a few days ago from adverts, and have been cooking every night on it since. Last night bbqd some beef chunks and had them with sourdough, brie, salsa verde and a side salad.

IMG_20170728_WA0007.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Friday was an easy chicken curry in the slow cooker. Had leftovers today.

Did a pulled pork today meanwhile for tomorrow, letting it sit over night in the sauce to infuse it a bit more. You know the way it always tastes better the day after. Had to hide it from the kids though, as they were sneaking out to pick at it. I had to laugh, as I'm usually the one at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

beertons wrote:
    Did a pulled pork today meanwhile for tomorrow, letting it sit over night in the sauce to infuse it a bit more. You know the way it always tastes better the day after. Had to hide it from the kids though, as they were sneaking out to pick at it. I had to laugh, as I'm usually the one at it.

Last time I made pulled pork I had it pulled and sauced the night before for dinner with friends the following day. My sister was out that night so I took it to bed with me because I knew she'd come in with a few drinks on her and mill it. When she she got up the next morning she admitted she'd spent 15 minutes looking for it when she came in :D

Advertisement