Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

Another day testing out the bbq. Pork loin with a dry rub cooked indirectly for an hour and a bit. Taste was incredible!

IMAG3758_800x448.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Last time I made pulled pork I had it pulled and sauced the night before for dinner with friends the following day. My sister was out that night so I took it to bed with me because I knew she'd come in with a few drinks on her and mill it. When she she got up the next morning she admitted she'd spent 15 minutes looking for it when she came in :D

Brilliant. I can see myself doing the same in a couple of years.

It went down a treat anyway. Had 6 callers on the way home from Croker, to Tralee. They had 10 wraps worth between them, 2 for me, kids had rolls, then my parents called in and had 1 each. I'll get the lunch out of it tomorrow, and that's it's gone then for another couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I made vegan mushroom stroganoff, using oat based non dairy cream. It was a bit bland itself, to be honest. I'm going to have to find a good stroganoff recipe. Heaps of mushrooms in it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

BBQ'd butterflied leg of lamb with cabbage slaw, cous cous and garlic green beans.

IMG_4405.jpg

Took the photo and forgot the star of the show..... hassleback potatoes.....
    IMG_4406.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    I made vegan mushroom stroganoff, using oat based non dairy cream. It was a bit bland itself, to be honest. I'm going to have to find a good stroganoff recipe. Heaps of mushrooms in it though :D

In my humble opinion, a Stroganoff should always be made with sour cream, not regular cream. My Austrian/Hungarian gran makes it with lots of various pickles (gherkins, pickled onions, olives mostly) and a good spoonful of mustard. But I'm not sure if that's the kind of recipe you had in mind.
    And I'm not sure vegan sour cream is that widely available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

BBQ'd butterflied leg of lamb with cabbage slaw, cous cous and garlic green beans.

Took the photo and forgot the star of the show..... hassleback potatoes.....

I LOVE hassleback potatoes. If only they weren't such a hassle to make. Are there any hassleback-potato-cutters on the market, does anyone know?

Shenshen wrote: »
    In my humble opinion, a Stroganoff should always be made with sour cream, not regular cream. My Austrian/Hungarian gran makes it with lots of various pickles (gherkins, pickled onions, olives mostly) and a good spoonful of mustard. But I'm not sure if that's the kind of recipe you had in mind.
    And I'm not sure vegan sour cream is that widely available.

Pickles! That's what it was missing! I even have a jar of gherkins in the fridge :(

I threw some lemon juice in with the cream, which seemed to go ok. It's no replacement for sour cream but someone doesn't eat dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I LOVE hassleback potatoes. If only they weren't such a hassle to make. Are there any hassleback-potato-cutters on the market, does anyone know?

I use a wooden spoon with quite a deep bowl to stand the potatoes in for cutting. Makes the cutting really easy with the edge of the spoon acting as a depth stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When I made them I laid the potatoes between two chopsticks to cut them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I used the handles of two spoons. I prepped them early in the morning and left them in a pot of water before I roasted them. Don't really mind how long it takes. I'm in my zone, listening to the radio. :P (I make matchstick chips quite a lot. They take forever! :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I used the handles of two spoons. I prepped them early in the morning and left them in a pot of water before I roasted them. Don't really mind how long it takes. I'm in my zone, listening to the radio. :P (I make matchstick chips quite a lot. They take forever! :rolleyes:)

I hear you! I really enjoy chopping stuff up - as long as the knife is nice and sharp; it's weirdly satisfying. Someone once brought me home a knockoff version of one of those slapchop thingys and the very idea of my onions being chopped into randomly shaped fragments just horrified me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

That's AWESOME!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Shenshen wrote:

I wonder would a very sharp/solid egg slicer would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Miaireland wrote: »
    I wonder would a very sharp/solid egg slicer would work?

I'd say the slices would be a bit too thick? I usually just thread two skewers through the potato and slice down as far as the knife can go, though it is a little tedious..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Saturday night I went for dinner with my parents in the Weeping Thaiger in Carlow.

For starters I got chicken dumplings and for the mains I got a pad Thai.

The next day we went for a carvery in Carpenter's in Carlow before I left to go back to Dublin.

I got the lamb, it melted in my mouth. However I left a lot of it, they gave me 5 slices of lamb, 3 mashed potatoes, 2 potato croquettes, carrots, cabbage and a mound of garlic potatoes. It was far far too much food.

Tonight I made fish cakes with pepper sauce and roasted potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

pew wrote: »
    Saturday night I went for dinner with my parents in the Weeping Thaiger in Carlow.

For starters I got chicken dumplings and for the mains I got a pad Thai.

The next day we went for a carvery in Carpenter's in Carlow before I left to go back to Dublin.

I got the lamb, it melted in my mouth. However I left a lot of it, they gave me 5 slices of lamb, 3 mashed potatoes, 2 potato croquettes, carrots, cabbage and a mound of garlic potatoes. It was far far too much food.

Tonight I made fish cakes with pepper sauce and roasted potatoes

Between the Weeping Thaiger and Carpenters, that's a great weekends eating! I've been to the Weeping Thaiger in Naas years and years ago. But I have been in Carpenters in Carlow. A real gem.

Tried the vegan pasta from Lidl as we were in the mood for quick food yesterday. Went for the wholewheat with potato and porcini. I had pesto, he had sundried tomato hummus on his.

It was just awful. Stodgy, bland pasta (who thought potato would be a good pasta filling? And why did I buy it?), and Lidl's pesto is pretty yuk too. I couldn't finish it. Himself agreed with me, but as he's a bottomless pit with less expectations of food he finished the lot.

2/10. Would need to be a choice between that dish and eating my won foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Mexican salad with quesadillas tonight! Delish and light

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Mexican salad with quesadillas tonight! Delish and light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Melendez wrote: »
    Apologies to those for whom this is old hat but I'm very excited, this is a whole new world open to me! For those who have been making their own sushi, this will seem like someone coming on excited about making a sandwich, it really is that easy.

The first time I made it I was so happy cos it was easy and delicious. The second time I made it, I made so much I felt sick and had to stay away from it for months! I think I found a happy medium and make it about every month or two now. I stick to veggie or chicken as I wouldn't trust myself with raw fish (I am pregnant now so couldn't eat it anyway). Our favourite is sweet potato tempura or red pepper, avocado and spring onion. It is great as you can make it the night before and have it for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Melendez wrote: »

Sounds wonderful! I've only experimented a very little bit with making sushi at home, but one type I found very nice and also easy to add into the mix alongside the fancier fish-based ones is tamagoyaki -

http://www.kikkoman.eu/consumer/recipes/r/tamago-sushi-1/

It's basically slices of japanese omelette on top of your usual sushi rice base and its very tasty indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Melendez wrote:

Thank you, you have made me believe I can so it. I am lucky to have access to a great fish shop who is happy to do Sushi grade fish and smokes there own. They keep telling me sushi is easy but I never believe them. It is great to hear how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Fillet steak rare, atop of mixed leaf salad with sun-dried tomatoes, olives, feta and Pine Nuts...Salad dressed with oil from sun-dried tomatoes

423945.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Forgot to take chicken out of the freezer for fajitas so I ended up having a glorious plate of buttered rye sourdough toast topped with runny, salty fried eggs. It's the simple things.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Forgot to take chicken out of the freezer for fajitas so I ended up having a glorious plate of buttered rye sourdough toast topped with runny, salty fried eggs. It's the simple things.

I have an instant craving for this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Steak, boiled new spuds and peas. One of my favourite dinners.

Dropped into lidl on the way back from work and I picked up a garlic and herb spatchcock chicken, so threw it on the bbq when I got home. Rookie mistake putting the veg on the tinfoil. Chicken was great though!

IMG_20170802_WA0008_600x1070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Veg tossed in pesto and roasted, tomato sauce and wholemeal pasta.

The gentlemen had some fish with theirs - Birdseye Inspirations, tomato and basil chargrills. Apparently they were lovely, eaten by adult and toddler alike. Half price in tesco at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Summer Halloumi Curry with peshwari naan.

Delish! Never thought of putting halloumi into a curry before but something about the recipe appealed.

I am also becoming obsessed with peshwari naan. This one was from the Tesco Finest range and really rather nice!

Advertisement